Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325457 times)

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »

This might seem like a silly suggestion, but you could also remove the floor from all of those to shave off a few more polys

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 02, 2009, 04:17:34 pm »

Grey Hunter, performance concerns aside, those workshops are beautiful and I hope you're keeping the high-poly originals around.  Those might look great rendered to 2D stills for an isometric visualizer.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2009, 04:53:00 pm »

Once I'm done with Planepacked, someone really need to remind me I should try to do something about this as well.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 02, 2009, 08:17:14 pm »

Its going to be interesting, this is the first time I've really had a poly limit to work to.

The high-poly models are definitely pretty, as has been mentioned before.

How are you at texture mapping?  Judicious use of texture maps is critical for real-time purposes.  For example, your carpenter shop could easily be dropped to 7 cubes and a 2-sided quad, with the hammer, hand saw, and giant sawblade all being texture maps.  It wouldn't look nearly as good as the uber-poly model, but it would likely be good enough.  That drops you from 8k polys to roughly 88 triangles.(44 quads)

Also, what modeler are you using?
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 02, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »

whoops, didn'[t see a post, ignore this
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:12:36 pm by Emperor Iones »

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 02, 2009, 11:54:10 pm »

The high-poly models are definitely pretty, as has been mentioned before.

How are you at texture mapping?  Judicious use of texture maps is critical for real-time purposes.  For example, your carpenter shop could easily be dropped to 7 cubes and a 2-sided quad, with the hammer, hand saw, and giant sawblade all being texture maps.  It wouldn't look nearly as good as the uber-poly model, but it would likely be good enough.  That drops you from 8k polys to roughly 88 triangles.(44 quads)

Also, what modeler are you using?

I've done some bump mapping, but I'm not sure if the visualizer uses that, if so, then I can have a go at adding in some more detail that way.  for now, I've made a pass at reducing down the useless bits, and reduced down everything to budget. now its a job of going over again replacing things with textures and such.

And I'm using Max.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 03, 2009, 03:12:43 am »

It'll do bump mapping before too long, it's definitely in the plans. I will probably only implement it in shaders though, so it needs to look decent without it for the basic rendering mode.

Great work by the way, they look fabulous! I'd better start figuring out how to make multi-tile buildings work, they cause problems with the culling at the moment as they can be in multiple map blocks. Hmmm...

As for the engravings, it somewhat depends on how it's structured. I assume there is a vector somewhere that stores engravings sorted by position. If this vector stores the ascii code of the display char (which I consider fairly likely) then it's not too difficult. If tracking a more complicated set of linkages is required then forget about it, it's not worth the effort.

The easiest solution would be to have a list of possible textures/bump maps and to pick one at random. This could then be made more specific later.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 03, 2009, 03:31:59 am »

The easiest solution would be to have a list of possible textures/bump maps and to pick one at random. This could then be made more specific later.

Sounds like an awesome plan. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 03, 2009, 06:43:25 am »

I'd better start figuring out how to make multi-tile buildings work, they cause problems with the culling at the moment as they can be in multiple map blocks. Hmmm...
Why not pull the workshops apart into individual squares and render them together in the same manner DF itself does?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:58 am »

I've done some bump mapping, but I'm not sure if the visualizer uses that, if so, then I can have a go at adding in some more detail that way.  for now, I've made a pass at reducing down the useless bits, and reduced down everything to budget. now its a job of going over again replacing things with textures and such.

And I'm using Max.

This shouldn't be anything you don't already know, but bump mapping and texture mapping are somewhat different things.  Texture mapping changes the material color, bump mapping changes how lighting is calculated, and is a bit more difficult to get looking right.

I was only suggesting textures.

I don't know how Max is with UV and texture mapping tools, but Wings 3D is freeware and used by a lot of the other modelers around here, as well as myself(though I'm a good year out of practice, so I haven't bothered throwing any of my work in), and the UV mapping tools are quite good.  They were a bit slow last I used it, but there have been some significant speed improvements since then.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »

What aboout the trap types? Since it can detect buildings and traps are treated as buildings, maybe something can be made for them.

The weapon traps should be easy enough, although there should be some variety. Not sure about the cage traps. If the stone fall traps are inside or under a floor, I can see how those would be done, but what about those that are outside with no floor or whatever above them?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2009, 01:50:30 pm »

What aboout the trap types? Since it can detect buildings and traps are treated as buildings, maybe something can be made for them.

The weapon traps should be easy enough, although there should be some variety. Not sure about the cage traps. If the stone fall traps are inside or under a floor, I can see how those would be done, but what about those that are outside with no floor or whatever above them?

Model is not a huge problem - simple wooden construction holding hanging stone (quite obvious trap, but ...). What could be worse is detecting if there is floor above.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »

No need, just have part of the trap model that would be replaced by the floor just be higher than the total tile so that if there is a floor, the trap will clip into it, hiding those parts.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2009, 11:08:12 pm »

Oh wow. We have workshops in the works now? This just keeps getting better at a staggering rate. I'm still looking for the socks y'all have knocked off of me!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2009, 11:26:17 pm »

Oh wow. We have workshops in the works now? This just keeps getting better at a staggering rate. I'm still looking for the socks y'all have knocked off of me!
Nobody go looking for them! They're beneath an atom-smasher!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90