Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325473 times)

teta

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN] [SPHERE:WATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #420 on: September 01, 2009, 06:30:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it possible to have an option to not display hidden buildings (e.g. bridges made of hidden materials are also hidden), or to distinguish between hidden and not hidden memory wise to begin with? Because the now no longer hidden scaffolds (to save the deconstruction hassle, as dwarves and U alike loev do stand on bridges being deconstructed...) tend to litter some places. ~_~

There also seems to be a problem displaying roads: only one line is displayed (e.g. 3x1 of a 3x10 road).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:46:28 pm by teta »
Some mega eye-candy projects:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6018 Human city
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6201 Little Star Wars Space Ship

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 02, 2009, 04:15:49 am »

This may be jumping the gun, but a while back I ran a 3D dwarf fortress on the Something Awful forums, - Glodsaga - and I still have all my max files from that. (the only time DF has crashed to an unrecoverable file for me, goddamit.)

Which means I have a model for most of the different workshops, here's an example, the carpenters shop - its 4600 polys, down to 3800 if you take out the sawdust. the only problem is its not properly textured, - all the different colours are different objects with a separate texture applied.

No sure if they would be of any use to you or not, but I thought I could offer the files if you can use them.
Yes please, that looks awesome! 4600 poly isn't too bad, but it would be better if it could be halved. Having different objects with different textures is no problem at all. Needs to be .obj format though.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2009, 04:41:57 am »

I have had the same problem with my roads. It seems that this is due to the ground popping up a bit where the roads are, and hence obscuring most of them.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 02, 2009, 05:19:21 am »

I have had the same problem with my roads. It seems that this is due to the ground popping up a bit where the roads are, and hence obscuring most of them.
No, I just made a mistake in the loop that sets the road material. I've fixed it my development version.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:11:59 am by Baboonanza »

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 02, 2009, 08:35:11 am »

Yes please, that looks awesome! 4600 poly isn't too bad, but it would be better if it could be halved. Having different objects with different textures is no problem at all. Needs to be .obj format though.

I'll jave another look at them then, I'm sure I can trim down the polys if I work to a budget - I was keeping them fairly low, as my 3d Fortress was huge even after only a few years, but I'm sure another pass will make them a lot more efficent.  I'll aim for 2,500 polys as much as possible.

some are going to be harder than other's such as the loom I built, but we'll see.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 02, 2009, 09:01:34 am »

Maybe we can see a preview of all the workshops that you made?

The carpenters shop looks pretty good really.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2009, 09:39:02 am »

I'll jave another look at them then, I'm sure I can trim down the polys if I work to a budget - I was keeping them fairly low, as my 3d Fortress was huge even after only a few years, but I'm sure another pass will make them a lot more efficent.  I'll aim for 2,500 polys as much as possible.

some are going to be harder than other's such as the loom I built, but we'll see.
Since Visual Fortress clearly can handle texture transparency, try replacing the sawblade with a double-sided quad and an image of a saw blade for texture.  That should drop your carpenter workshop's polycount through the floor.

Similarly, replace the sawdust with texture maps(I assume you were going to do this).

I remember reading your community fortress back when I first got into Dwarf Fortress.  It was rather helpful in getting past the ASCII art, and served as something of a primer for when I read Boatmurdered.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 02, 2009, 01:14:06 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing engraved walls that were pretty basic based on the DF icon.  So take and engraving that looks like an "E" in DF and Visual Fortress  grabs the "Elephant Killing Dwarves" bump map and applies it to all walls that are engraved with "E"

So something like this.

That's the smooth stone image from Visual fortress and some random b+w drawing I found on the web so credit to the artists
Dwarf = http://www.elfwood.com/~lightbringer/gold_dwarf_paladin.jpg.3528253.html
Elephant = Unknown.

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 02, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »

Right, I've gone through all my rooms and made a poly count. This is the unmodified count.

Bowyers – 20,886
Butchers – 2214
Carpenters – 8136
Craftsdwarf – 14584
Fishery -  680
Forge – 7616
Jewellers – 7344
Kitchen – 9542
Weavers – 1296
Masons – 7712
Mechanics – 7492
Mill – 2208
Smelter – 508
Still - 4528
tanners – 9904

Owch, some of those creep a little high, but that's things like hand saws, nails and other things like that.  here's a preview pic, fairly large, as there are a fair few rooms.

http://tinypic.com/r/2e2qbv6/3

So, out of these, only the Butchers, fishery, weavers, mill and smelter are good to go. some, no names here, need a fair bit of work.

For those interested, the hand saws in the carpenters take off a grand total of 2000 polys each, for something that could barely be seen - but was more important for the thread. taking them and the sawdust out drops the model to 1744, and gives us this

So, next step is to drop the useless bits on the other rooms, then go back and see what I've got left, after that, its playing with textures and planes to see what else I can do.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 02, 2009, 01:56:19 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing engraved walls that were pretty basic based on the DF icon.  So take and engraving that looks like an "E" in DF and Visual Fortress  grabs the "Elephant Killing Dwarves" bump map and applies it to all walls that are engraved with "E"

So something like this.

That's the smooth stone image from Visual fortress and some random b+w drawing I found on the web so credit to the artists
Dwarf = http://www.elfwood.com/~lightbringer/gold_dwarf_paladin.jpg.3528253.html
Elephant = Unknown.

Only problem though, an E is also used when an elf is the subject of the engraving.

@Grey Hunter: Those look pretty good, although the smelter looks oversimplified. As for the loom, maybe put a basket or two of cloth somewhere? The rest of them look okay to me I guess.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 02, 2009, 02:07:02 pm »

the problem is hes way over the poly limit already with most of those.

you can try turning recesses and drawrs into flat surfaces to free up a large number of polys. like the kitchens stove and the still grate. also you could remove the space under the work benches.

problem I'm seeing is the Boyer needs the most work but without the little additions you wont be able to tell what it is.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 02, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »

Only problem though, an E is also used when an elf is the subject of the engraving.

I'm aware of that but unless VF can somehow access the description of each engraved tile, then parse it, grab the relative images, combine them intelligently, apply it to the wall/floor and do it all in a timely manner. I think a semi-generalized engraving would work better than just a single engraving texture applied across them all.

Another option would be to supply VF with a copy of whatever tileset you use and have it parse that for engraving.  You'd have E's on your wall but it would be consistent.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 02, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

We'll have to see what Baboonanza says as only he knows the limits of what he can do with this.

Anyways, Baboonanza, it looks like you fixed whatever was causing VF to occasionally give an abort even though the version actually is supported as I'm not getting that stuff anymore.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 02, 2009, 02:40:20 pm »

So, next step is to drop the useless bits on the other rooms, then go back and see what I've got left, after that, its playing with textures and planes to see what else I can do.

Looks nice. :) It might be a good idea to put them in the app now just to check them out - as a replacement for statues, for example. That might reveal exactly how bad performance problems would be, I suppose.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 02, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »

the problem is hes way over the poly limit already with most of those.

you can try turning recesses and drawrs into flat surfaces to free up a large number of polys. like the kitchens stove and the still grate. also you could remove the space under the work benches.

problem I'm seeing is the Boyer needs the most work but without the little additions you wont be able to tell what it is.

Yeah, but that's the base level, I can cut thousands off those without causing any real problems. No need for a box of nails in the visualizer.  as you say, the boxes can be easily sorted and made much more simple.

The bowyer is the one that I'm worried about, it needs the crossbow in, but that's a fairly complex thing.  I'll see what I can do tomorrow, starting with the easy ones, the anvil in the forge is a poly trap, and a much simpler one should do us fine.

I'll look at making the smelter a bit more interesting as well, I have polys to play with there.

Its going to be interesting, this is the first time I've really had a poly limit to work to.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 90