Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325494 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #405 on: August 30, 2009, 04:14:30 pm »

This one looks practically like Balrog skin, and makes an interesting effect in that it looks like the crust is cooling, certainly, but it's hot as hell regardless.  Almost looks like fire through thick smoke.

YES, that's what I'm talking about.  A nice bright red interlaced with black.  That lava clearly looks like it is in motion: the cooled surface expanding and cracking, then the liquid interior bubbling up and cooling again.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 30, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This one looks practically like Balrog skin, and makes an interesting effect in that it looks like the crust is cooling, certainly, but it's hot as hell regardless.  Almost looks like fire through thick smoke.

YES, that's what I'm talking about.  A nice bright red interlaced with black.  That lava clearly looks like it is in motion: the cooled surface expanding and cracking, then the liquid interior bubbling up and cooling again.

But convection doesn't exist! D=

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 30, 2009, 06:24:40 pm »

But convection doesn't exist! D=

Nothing says fun like a battle inside an active volcano!

And yes, in dwarf fortress convection doesn't really exist.  At least, not in dwarf mode, and not with lava anywhere (you CAN die from heat exhaustion in adventure mode without actually being on fire (and ninjas still can't touch you)).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2009, 01:29:04 pm »

Oh...I panicked.   Ok all is well then.

>_>
<_<

Stop looking at me! *hides*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2009, 02:04:29 pm »

If we were ever to have a stone which is organic or have alien organic technology in DF, that sickly looking 'magma' could work.

Anyways, I have an idea, since Visual Fortress already detects whether a surface is smoothed or not, maybe if said surface has been engraved on it, the surface could show some stylized something on it. Just what, I dunno, anything in the range from egyptain style paintings (just an example, ok) to rough petroglyphs, to finely carved engravings like at a temple or something.

Of course though, I don't know whether the program actually can detect engravings or not, but something to take a look at.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 31, 2009, 03:35:24 pm »

It can probably be made to detect them, but it's unlikely it will be able to tell what the engraving is, at least past the most basic level (Symbols such as E and Dwarf Face).  Of course, then the problem comes with needing textures that present those symbols; we'd need a fair amount of repeating textures, both wall and floor.

Of course, a generic engraved floor and wall can also be made and used in lieu of anything more complex.  I just hope that, if we get that far, that engraved floors will have engraved ceilings above them (But the floor above the ceiling, and the ceiling below the engraved floor, appear as normal).
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 31, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »

Well, it's just an idea and I did realize that there would be a problem with detecting the engraving type.

It's just something to put on the ideas list and I'm not saying that this should be high priority or anything right now since getting structures, bridges and all that are the ones that we want right now.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 31, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »

but it's unlikely it will be able to tell what the engraving is, at least past the most basic level (Symbols such as E and Dwarf Face).  Of course, then the problem comes with needing textures that present those symbols; we'd need a fair amount of repeating textures, both wall and floor.
Would it make it at all simpler if there were simply textures of E's and dwarf faces with transparent backgrounds to overlap the default smooth wall texture?

Now that  I think about it, transparency in textures might help a lot with that carpenter's shop.  The saw seemed like the part that would cause the most problems.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2009, 03:28:26 am »

I've uploaded a new verison with bug fixes (v0.801).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272

- Fortifications are fixed
- Missing floor under up/down stair fixed
- Some building orientation/placement issues fixed
- Ceiling thickness can be now be changed (not tested)
- Fixed wood color, improved color determination (copper may be fixed too). This is also fairly untested, I only had a couple of hours to work on this update.
- Size of table/stool increased so that tables are contiguous. You can also set this yourself in Data/Buildings.csv. The last column is a scale percentage (ie. 500 is 500%, which for tables scales them to fit exactly in a 5.0 wide cell).
- Green glass walls/floor should now be opaque
- Properly fixed the Ctrl-R issue. My apologies to smjjames as his woes were entirely my fault for undoing an earlier fix.

Other issues:
- Setting USE_SHADERS=NO makes everything transparent. Tricky one this, and I've only been able to partially fix it so far. It's caused by the multisample anti-aliasing so disabling that will fix the problem. I'd be interested to know if this happens on Nvidia cards that use coverage-sampled anti-aliasing (it will say which is used in the .log file).
- I haven't been able to fix the wonky bridge/noise issue. I've put in code that I'm confident should fix it and it makes no different :(. Setting XY Noise min/max both to 0.0 will mainly fix the issue until I do it properly

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2009, 05:53:52 am »

- Properly fixed the Ctrl-R issue. My apologies to smjjames as his woes were entirely my fault for undoing an earlier fix.

no prob man.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2009, 09:56:05 am »

This program has got me designing my fortress/towns with it in the back of my mind.  I'm lovin' it!

Quick request.  Can wooden (C)onstructions use the wood texture instead of the brick texture? My lakehouses look alot sturdier than they should.

All wood construction.

Of course this could explains why it takes one whole tree to do anything if the Dwarves are making wooden bricks out of them.

Also a nice simple wood/stone column model for Supports would make me really happy since some of my aforementioned lakehouses are currently floating one z level above the ground.  The pic above has a support under the balcony still but I've replaced the house supports with big chunky walls because it was bothering me.  ;D

And it seems there is still some inversion going on with the e/w fortifications in v8.
wooden fortifications underneath ramps. the n/s ones look fine.
this is on my laptop which canna do the shaders.  I'll move the save over to a beefier machine when I get home to see if that may be the issue. 

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #416 on: September 01, 2009, 10:17:30 am »

Looks good! 

I'm having some problems with the roads though.  I'm not sure if they're really meant to be working right now or not, but at the moment they seem to only display the northern-most tile of the road.  Also, the statues facing seems to be a little off along the roads, as the statues on one side of my road face the fortress (diagonally), while the others point away from it and the road (aligned with the tiles).

See:
The Fortress in the Above Picture
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 01, 2009, 10:42:19 am »

The fortification problem is caused by having a T-junction. I'll fix it ASAP.

Not sure what's going on with the road. And the statues aren't supposed to be able to go diagonal. Thanks for the map, that'll be a time-saver.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #418 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:19 am »

That's actually just a DFMA upload, I'm uploading the actual save in the background while I type this...

[EDIT]:  Done, it's all yours.  Not the best map for testing this though, I may start a fortress later with every combination of walls, fortifications, etc. I can think of for future testing.  Oh, some things may look diagonal that aren't, as most of the fortress is dug out at a 45 degree angle.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:01:12 am by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Phazorx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 01, 2009, 03:21:05 pm »

I've uploaded a new verison with bug fixes (v0.801).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272

- Fortifications are fixed
- Missing floor under up/down stair fixed
- Some building orientation/placement issues fixed
- Ceiling thickness can be now be changed (not tested)
- Fixed wood color, improved color determination (copper may be fixed too). This is also fairly untested, I only had a couple of hours to work on this update.
- Size of table/stool increased so that tables are contiguous. You can also set this yourself in Data/Buildings.csv. The last column is a scale percentage (ie. 500 is 500%, which for tables scales them to fit exactly in a 5.0 wide cell).
- Green glass walls/floor should now be opaque

Other issues:
- Setting USE_SHADERS=NO makes everything transparent. Tricky one this, and I've only been able to partially fix it so far. It's caused by the multisample anti-aliasing so disabling that will fix the problem. I'd be interested to know if this happens on Nvidia cards that use coverage-sampled anti-aliasing (it will say which is used in the .log file).
- I haven't been able to fix the wonky bridge/noise issue. I've put in code that I'm confident should fix it and it makes no different :(. Setting XY Noise min/max both to 0.0 will mainly fix the issue until I do it properly

Hello and Thank you for the great tool, it sure is fun to watch actual 3D model aftre hours of building it half blind...

I was wondering if it is possible to adapt it for d15/d16?
Glancing over versioned xml files in data folder - they are quite understandable, except i have no idea how to get right numbers, any suggestions there?
I did manage to get Dwarf Manager working for d15, but it got semi-automatic method for detecting memory offsets and wasnt any hard...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 90