Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325568 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2009, 08:39:39 am »

And Dwarves

It would be awesome if you added the ability to see dwarves. (Even if its just a little happy face facing the viewer at all times)

Staring, always staring, staring into my soul. The faces, the faces! Always staring!

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2009, 11:45:48 am »

The previous version didn't support funiture. The next version does and will come with the models so far donated (chair, table, statue).

It doesn't work with d14 yet, I had a go yesterday but I got something wrong and it didn't work. I'll release an update once I have it working.

Oh. Neat! Glad to hear I wasn't just screwing up. By the way, I neglected to mention, I love this app. Something about being able to see it all properly makes your fort so much more "real".

On a side-note though, from the screenshots shared in this thread, it looks like everyone but me has been building their forts outdoors rather than digging them into mountainsides/hillsides. Why is this? Or is my impression somehow mistaken? (Some awesomely fun architecture out there though!)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:50 pm »

On a side-note though, from the screenshots shared in this thread, it looks like everyone but me has been building their forts outdoors rather than digging them into mountainsides/hillsides. Why is this?
Somehow I think a mountainside wouldn't be that much more interesting in 3D.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »

Truely stunning, I hope this project continues to develop

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »

On a side-note though, from the screenshots shared in this thread, it looks like everyone but me has been building their forts outdoors rather than digging them into mountainsides/hillsides. Why is this? Or is my impression somehow mistaken? (Some awesomely fun architecture out there though!)

I almost always dig straight down and then prop a fort topside.  If I'm close enough to a hill, I'll locate a little bay, dig in, and build a fort at the mouth (Sometimes spanning z-levels as well, depending on terrain).
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2009, 01:09:18 pm »

Well now that you mentioned digging into mountainsides, I just have to post some more 3D shots of my current project ;) This fort was actually very much inspired by Visual Fortress, so thank you for the amazing application Baboonanza! This project was the first time I experimented with dug-in multi-level rooms, which was very educational to say the least.

This is an outside view. The fort is dug into the peak and currently spans about 60 of the peak's 94 levels. I just finished the outside fortifications. The blue pattern is supposed to be waves, which is the dwarven civ's symbol.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The following is a dwarf's-eye view of the entrance hall (covered in marble).

The third shot is a slice view of the dining hall. It's four levels high and also covered with marble, although the dwarves can't really appreciate either aspect :P You can also see half of the magma pipe as a bonus.

Sorry for derail.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2009, 02:14:36 pm »

I almost always dig straight down and then prop a fort topside.  If I'm close enough to a hill, I'll locate a little bay, dig in, and build a fort at the mouth (Sometimes spanning z-levels as well, depending on terrain).
You can sort of do both if your embark includes a bottomless pit on the side of a steep slope. You can then place your main entrance mountainward on the pit's circumferance, and carve your entrance fort out of the natural walls surrounding the pit.

It also provides a very convenient centralization for your migrant/noble/elf "welcoming" chasm-bridge plaza.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2009, 02:34:14 pm »

You can sort of do both if your embark includes a bottomless pit on the side of a steep slope. You can then place your main entrance mountainward on the pit's circumferance, and carve your entrance fort out of the natural walls surrounding the pit.

It also provides a very convenient centralization for your migrant/noble/elf "welcoming" chasm-bridge plaza.

Precisely.  I had a recent fort that was exactly like this, and half of my work was using the pit to make a nice-looking entrance.  Shame I can't get this program to work to see what it would look like, though.  *kicks computer... gently*
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2009, 02:44:19 pm »

Sorry for derail.

Posting awesome screenshots in this thread can't possibly be considered a derail.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »

Do bridges and floodgates show up in this amazing program yet?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:47 pm »

Sorry for derail.
Posting awesome screenshots in this thread can't possibly be considered a derail.
If anything, we should be thanking you.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 23, 2009, 12:33:51 pm »

Do bridges and floodgates show up in this amazing program yet?
Not yet, but those in the community with modelling experience are making models for various buildings to be implemented in the future :)
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #282 on: August 23, 2009, 12:47:05 pm »

Hows the road thing coming?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »

Hmmm.  I redownloaded it, and it starts up and dumps the map fine; must've been something corrupted in the download.  It still has everything pitch-black and thus only visible in silhouette, but that's a different problem. :P  Must be something with my computer rendering the textures, I suppose... *sigh*
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:48:13 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 90