Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325557 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2009, 01:34:16 pm »

Also, for some reason the dump from DF acts a bit glitchy sometimes with the Mayday set.

Sometimes when I try to dump the map to the application, it gives me the suppourted version not found error, but when I move around a bit or something, it goes through. I have no idea why it does this because it does load the map, but moving around a bit or unpausing/pausing gets it to work after a bit of fiddling around.
I didn't reply as I couldn't think of anything useful to say, I can't think of anything that would cause this error. If I get time before the next release I'll add some fallback code and I'll test it with the Mayday set (not that it should make any difference). Are you running on a multi-core system? Are the apps both running on the same core?

I had the same issue yesterday with an unmodded version of d11. The only changes were a character set and some init changes. I had to try about 4 or 5 times to get it to recognize the DF process. I do have a multi-core machine so next time it occurs I'll investigate a little closer.

Hmm, I do have a dual core chipset I believe. I'm not on the computer which has DF atm. As for finding out whether they are running on the same core, I have no idea how to do that. BTW I also have Vista, if that matters. Aside from the Mayday stuff, the only modding are the removal of the aquifer tags, which shouldn't affect this, removed building destroyer from cave crocs so they would make a good tameable pet and occasionally a temporary tweak of some creature which again shouldn't affect this because it doesn't involve any graphical tweaks.

@Scarpa: What did you do to try and get it to work? move around (including changing z-levels) and/or unpausing/pausing? Next time I'll have to see if I can get it to work without changing z-levels or something ingame.

Edit: Yea, I have a dual core CPU and I believe DF is suppoused to be single threaded, that is, only uses one of those cores.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:59:24 pm by smjjames »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2009, 03:24:54 pm »

@Scarpa: What did you do to try and get it to work? move around (including changing z-levels) and/or unpausing/pausing? Next time I'll have to see if I can get it to work without changing z-levels or something ingame.

Edit: Yea, I have a dual core CPU and I believe DF is suppoused to be single threaded, that is, only uses one of those cores.

I tried a bunch of stuff, pausing/unpausing, saving/reloading, even quitting DF and starting it back up. I eventually gave up and tried again a few minutes later and it worked.

I am pretty sure DF only uses one core, it's pretty clear just from looking at the CPU graphs in task manager when the game is running.

Edit: reproduced it, now trying to figure out some kind of relevant info.
edit2: no luck, futzed around with process explorer and couldn't find anything relevant to which CPU core the threads were executing on. And then when I started working again! Sorry I'm not very hackerish.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:42:17 pm by Scarpa »

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2009, 05:36:55 pm »

Not sure if y'all (pardon the southernism) read my post earlier; I was having the same issue. DF and VF have to be running on the same core. The good news is that it's easy to set that up.

Go to the task manager and find the Dwarf Fortress and Visual Fortress processes. Right click the processes, and select "Set Affinity." A little box will come up with two checkboxes: Core 0 and Core 1. Both will be checked. Choose one of the two to uncheck, and uncheck it on both (e.g. make it so that only Core 0 is selected for both). Huzzah! Both are running on the same core.

You can also use this to get DF running on one core and another memory-intensive process running on another, if you like.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2009, 06:13:08 pm »

I'm not so sure about that. I set affinity to opposite cores and it still loads the map just fine.

That setting aside, I can't find a way to figure out what core the processes are actually executing on. The closest I can get is observing the processor graphs, I can see DF consistently taking up an entire core (and it does report 50% CPU usage in taskman) while I also see spikes on the other core from VF while scrolling around.

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2009, 09:12:54 pm »

Hrm, if you can read the quality of furniture, could you rig it so that you use lower LOD models for lower quality furniture?
Having a blocky dwarfish shape for a 'Statue' and Zorin's full detail statue foe a '☼Statue☼'  would be awesome.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:27 pm »

Question: I have the dig deeper mod. will i have any issues with the new materials introduced in this mod not displaying correctly?

or will there be any other issues at all?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2009, 12:44:02 am »

I believe you will get errors.  I had a few custom stones and metals, it threw every color out of whack.  Had to revert to completely vanilla materials to get the colors to show properly.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2009, 03:11:00 am »

I'm hoping that problem is resolved, as I now read the material colors from DF memory. I haven' tested it with mods yet though.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2009, 04:33:53 am »

When a new version is up, I'll regen, test, and tell ya if I find anything new regarding materials.  I'm hoping we can get a few basic models in soon though.  Possibly bump-maps for all textures, too.  I'm most looking forward to doors, floodgates, hatch covers, and bridges, really.

Oh Armok, the spice.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2009, 09:23:33 am »

hrmm... i opened up the file, but it says "open GL shader support required, but not found." and then closes.

However, i have an NVidia 9600 GSO, and it SHOULD be able to support shaders, if i'm not mistaken. 

Actually, now that i think about it,  am i mistaken?
edit: here's the graphics card information.
    *  NVIDIA® unified architecture
    * Full Microsoft® DirectX® 10 Shader Model 4.0 support
    * NVIDIA® SLI™ Ready
    * True 128-bit floating point high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting with 16 x full-screen anti-aliasing
    * NVIDIA Quantum Effects™ physics processing technology
    * PCI Express® 2.0
    * 9600 Series single slot solution
    * Two Dual-Link DVI outputs support two 2560 x 1600 resolution displays
    * NVDIA® PureVideo™ HD Technology*
    * OpenGL® 3.0 support
    * Built for Microsoft® Windows Vista™
    * Dual-Link HDCP Capable**
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:30:19 am by SimRobert2001 »

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2009, 10:00:21 am »

So here is the first good pass.  No wooden texture, but I think wooden statues should be rather different; the medium requires something more stylized, I think.  More on that later.

Dorf Statue

Nothing fancy on the textures, no alpha or anything.  Just something basic to test with.

LOD stats (verts/polies):

1: 374/656
2: 294/520
3: 213/366

Texture: 512x512 diffuse luminosity map, plus some color noise on the metal texture.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2009, 10:45:09 am »

So here is the first good pass.  No wooden texture, but I think wooden statues should be rather different; the medium requires something more stylized, I think.  More on that later.

Not sure I necessarily agree, wooden statues can be pretty elaborate: http://images.google.se/images?q=wooden statue
I think the statue you made (which looks very nice, btw) could work well for both stone and wood statues if given different sets of textures.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:55:55 am by MMad »
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »

How about next version with non-generic statues ???
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2009, 01:14:04 pm »

How about next version with non-generic statues ???

... good point. Dwarves will make statues that resemble a ton of different things. We'll probably just have to settle with a couple different generic statue models that don't reflect the subject matter of the statue.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2009, 02:54:19 pm »

At that point, we may want to either keep the Dwarf statue (Universal symbol for "This is a statue"), or we move towards making them look like their ASCII counterpart, Ω.  One keeps them obvious, the other keeps them generic to work with the new system.

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 90