Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325506 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2009, 06:17:45 pm »

- There is code to ensure that buildings are oriented in sensible ways (chairs face tables for instance), and for this to work the models should face towards -y.

Unless he hasn't dealt with statue orientation, though that is a pretty simple algorithm: orient the statue facing away from the nearest wall and towards the nearest cliff within a given distance threshold.  Otherwise, default to facing North.  Not perfect but it will work most of the time.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2009, 07:09:44 pm »

- There is code to ensure that buildings are oriented in sensible ways (chairs face tables for instance), and for this to work the models should face towards -y.

Unless he hasn't dealt with statue orientation, though that is a pretty simple algorithm: orient the statue facing away from the nearest wall and towards the nearest cliff within a given distance threshold.  Otherwise, default to facing North.  Not perfect but it will work most of the time.
I tend to like placing statues along the bridge leading to my main entrance... no walls.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2009, 07:14:35 pm »

New bug: "Ignore Snow" causes a crash during load on tundra maps (And probably any other snowy place).
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2009, 03:07:10 am »

New bug: "Ignore Snow" causes a crash during load on tundra maps (And probably any other snowy place).
Oops.

It all uses the same code, with the exception of chairs/tables, and more-or-less works as you describe. The algorithm will start off simple so please don't expect it to be perfect, I'll gradually enhance it as I go and more examples appear.

The same applies to the model materials. All materials are represented by a colour blended with a texture at the moment. The blending is based on the alpha value of the texture though, so you can have opaque areas if desired. I'll be improving this by adding an additon material texture stage and possible bump maps in the fucture (the issue here is one of asset creation rather than technical, bump maps).

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2009, 04:09:39 am »

Gentlemen, I give you, the great flagpole of Blazerazor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I should note it's giving me a non-fatal texture error, something about being unable to find the smoothed wall texture.  It strikes all slashes and underscores, looks like some error in the database.  This started after I dug up and later smoothed the microcline and orthoclase, so it's probably related to them.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2009, 07:02:52 am »

Also, for some reason the dump from DF acts a bit glitchy sometimes with the Mayday set.

Sometimes when I try to dump the map to the application, it gives me the suppourted version not found error, but when I move around a bit or something, it goes through. I have no idea why it does this because it does load the map, but moving around a bit or unpausing/pausing gets it to work after a bit of fiddling around.

Sorry for repeating myself, but not sure if you caught what I said earlier ^^^ .

I can't seem to find or see a connection as to what is causing this problem, other than moving around in the game seems to help. But, it really shouldn't matter where your current window is ingame, right? Unpausing and pausing also seems to help.

Also, I think having the game unpaused when I try to dump also gives a similar error, probably understandable since it can't track real time changes.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:26:20 am by smjjames »

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:55 am »

Neato ice fortress.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2009, 09:56:54 am »

So I figured I should post a pic of the end product for review before I upload it.  This would be the texture intended for metals, but both it and the stone one obviously need some tweaking in Photoshop to mesh with the color blending properly.  The model is shown with no lighting, just the texture.

686 triangles.  If you support LODs, then I can get two more reductions, possibly a third.

Opinions?  Suggestions?
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:15 am »

That is a very nice dwarf statue. Very nice.  Do you do 3D modeling professionally or something? 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2009, 10:50:33 am »

Also, for some reason the dump from DF acts a bit glitchy sometimes with the Mayday set.

Sometimes when I try to dump the map to the application, it gives me the suppourted version not found error, but when I move around a bit or something, it goes through. I have no idea why it does this because it does load the map, but moving around a bit or unpausing/pausing gets it to work after a bit of fiddling around.
I didn't reply as I couldn't think of anything useful to say, I can't think of anything that would cause this error. If I get time before the next release I'll add some fallback code and I'll test it with the Mayday set (not that it should make any difference). Are you running on a multi-core system? Are the apps both running on the same core?

So I figured I should post a pic of the end product for review before I upload it.  This would be the texture intended for metals, but both it and the stone one obviously need some tweaking in Photoshop to mesh with the color blending properly.  The model is shown with no lighting, just the texture.

686 triangles.  If you support LODs, then I can get two more reductions, possibly a third.

Opinions?  Suggestions?
I second that, very nice! I can already support multiple LODs if I decide to use them, so having them would be great.

Also, there isn't a limit on the number of statues you can have. If there is more than one statue specified it will randomly choose between them so there is some variety. This applies to other furniture too.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:30 am »

Could you key the model off of the material (or can you grab quality level)?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2009, 11:36:37 am »

I didn't reply as I couldn't think of anything useful to say, I can't think of anything that would cause this error. If I get time before the next release I'll add some fallback code and I'll test it with the Mayday set (not that it should make any difference). Are you running on a multi-core system? Are the apps both running on the same core?

I had the same issue yesterday with an unmodded version of d11. The only changes were a character set and some init changes. I had to try about 4 or 5 times to get it to recognize the DF process. I do have a multi-core machine so next time it occurs I'll investigate a little closer.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »

Vista (and Windows 7?) has an anti-hack feature that's impossible to disable and randomizes addresses in executables that allow it.  It's quite possible that's the cause here, since none of you have mentioned an OS (>.<)
I don't remember the specifics, but you can force DF to not allow it via hex editing, mentioned in one of the earlier 3rd party tool threads.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2009, 12:48:31 pm »

I already did the hex editor trick to use Khazad and 3Dwarf. I don't think that's the issue.

In this case I had dumped the map, took a screenshot, closed VisualFortress, then after about 20 minutes tried again and it wouldn't recognize DF. I hadn't closed DF at all during the whole process.

I did have Dwarf Manager running in between but I'm not sure how that could affect it. I'll try to get better info if it happens again.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »

I should have taken taken care of the Vista ASLR. I've certainly never had this problem during testing on Vista or XP.

Re-model LOD: It would be best in seperate files for each LOD, but it's easy enough to do it myself.

The release is a bit delayed at the moment. I've written all the necessary code and I'm just debugging it. I'm away from Saturday next week so hopefully I'll get it out by them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 90