Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325417 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2009, 02:55:55 pm »

It could be because of where I've got my DF install(s) and Visual Fort (c:\games\Dwarf Fortress OpenGL\ and c:\games\Dwarf Vis\VisualFort\, respectively), but running MatGlossDump from the commandline doesn't do anything.  It seems like it's working, but it doesn't fix anything.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2009, 03:10:15 pm »

All I get is a gray screen, did I do something horribly wrong? I have maydays d11 with minor mods to the raws and the Sayter mod. so that shouldn't effect it, am I simply being to impatient? I only waited 5 minutes before troubleshooting and trying again.

Edit: der, my bad didnt hit CTRl R now it works. dang if only I still had my valley of the gods save :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:56:00 pm by Bloogonis »

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2009, 04:30:23 pm »

That's not the file that's the problem, the one that's giving me trouble is "MatGlossBlend.frag".

I downloaded again, and it's still not working.
They're merged together before compilation. Does the log give a different log error? This is difficult because I can't test it. If my driver behaved the same way I could fix it straight away.

I am getting "Failed to load terrain material" error too, replacing that file didn't help.
Here is the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mine is slightly different:

Anti-aliasing not available with 16 samples. Choosing best.
No anti-aliasing available
Vertical sync disabled
Anisotropic filtering level 2
Loading vertex shader 'Default.vert'
Shader compilation failed for Default.vert: ERROR: 2:1: '' : syntax error preprocessor command must not be preceded by any other statement in that line

Failed to load shader Default.vert:MatGlossBlend.frag
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:26 pm »

It could be that you're an idiot AND it's not working. Just kidding :). I have no idea what the problem is, which OS are you using? You don't happen to have another window called Drawf Fortress open do you?

This is the perennial possibility, yes.  ;D

I'm running Vista Business 32-bit. Downloaded new revision, redownloaded DF from site, same problem. Going to try it in Ubuntu now.

EDIT: Great success! Not in Ubuntu; it crashed. Turns out, I'm an idiot. Just needed to set the affinity of both programs to the same core.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:34:39 pm by Ghavrel »
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2009, 07:39:18 pm »

This thing is amazingly awesome.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2009, 11:45:18 pm »

Abberverse:
Halltraded:
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2009, 12:02:44 am »

I'm having a bit of a wierd problem with this. It sometimes gives me the unsuppourted error and it aborts and sometimes it works just fine. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the Mayday tileset.

Edit: It may also have something to do with ramps bieng stuck in the sky when I was collapsing a mountain from the ground up rather than from the top down.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:20 am »

It's unfortunate that all constructed floors appear to be gray.
I was hoping to see my latest megaproject in all its technicolor glory, but alas...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2009, 01:10:52 am »

Yay! Halltraded now looks like the blasted wasteland it is!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2009, 05:00:53 am »

Lovely pictures! I particularly like the way you've abused that river :)

I'm having a bit of a wierd problem with this. It sometimes gives me the unsuppourted error and it aborts and sometimes it works just fine. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the Mayday tileset.

Edit: It may also have something to do with ramps bieng stuck in the sky when I was collapsing a mountain from the ground up rather than from the top down.
Ramps being stuck in the air is certainly going to be interesting, I don't think I accounted for that possibility. Another person was having what sounds like the same problem and fixed it:
EDIT: Great success! Not in Ubuntu; it crashed. Turns out, I'm an idiot. Just needed to set the affinity of both programs to the same core.

I was hoping to see my latest megaproject in all its technicolor glory, but alas...
Floors should be the correct colour, I've just tested it myself. You can also see it in the Abberverse shot above. If you send me the map I'll have a look at it.

It could be because of where I've got my DF install(s) and Visual Fort (c:\games\Dwarf Fortress OpenGL\ and c:\games\Dwarf Vis\VisualFort\, respectively), but running MatGlossDump from the commandline doesn't do anything.  It seems like it's working, but it doesn't fix anything.
Sorry, I'd made a change to the program and not tested it properly. Here's a link to the fixed version, and I'll update the main package tonight (GMT). Remember that if you have spaces in the path you must surround it with double quotes (").
http://www.2shared.com/file/6927710/947417c8/MatGlossDump.html (link is at the bottom of the page, and small).
I was hoping to avoid reading the matgloss table from DF memory, but seeing the problems I think I'll have to.

That's not the file that's the problem, the one that's giving me trouble is "MatGlossBlend.frag".

They're merged together before compilation. Does the log give a different log error? This is difficult because I can't test it. If my driver behaved the same way I could fix it straight away.

I am getting "Failed to load terrain material" error too, replacing that file didn't help.
Here is the log:

Vertical sync disabled
Shader compilation failed for Default.vert: ERROR: 2:1: '' : syntax error preprocessor command must not be preceded by any other statement in that line

This one baffles me, since I can't see anything wrong with line in question. As I can't do trial and error on this I've only got 2 suggestions left:
1- Update your graphics drivers if you haven't already
2- I'll fiddle with the shaders before the next release, removing some of the debugging cruft that may be causing the problem. Try again then. However, given that your card doesn't seem to support multisampling or antisotropic filtering more than 2x it may just be incapable of running the shaders.

Would be possible to color non-constructed ceilings the same colour as walls and constructed with the same colour as building material? So in this case ceiling of microcline tunnel would be blue?
I could colour the ceilings the same colour as the floor very easily. I'd rather not have to have wall checking logic involved. With constructions it actually makes more sense to use the colour from the floor above (since really you're seeing the undetside of the floor above), but I'm happy to make the change unless anybody else objects. We can just say the dwarves painted the ceiling or something :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:44:13 am by Baboonanza »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2009, 05:12:27 am »

Abberverse:
Halltraded:

Abbeyverse is even more awesome than I imagined it.
A gigantic pool of architectural vomit, with lumps of insane mechanics.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2009, 06:13:29 am »

Here's a new one.  Ran the new MatGlossDump, it worked.

Kinda.

Red sand appears as pink, chalk, oddly, appears as yellow now, ice (when smoothed) is also pink [Smoothing ice when it refreezes in an area where it thaws is a good way to get a bit of spare Smoothing/Engraving in], Talc appears proper white, gabbro is red, microcline is dark gray... it's very... odd.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2009, 06:16:40 am »

I'm still having a problem with pitch black polygons in the trees, unless you fixed that in one of the shader's that got corrupted in my download

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2009, 06:49:10 am »

Here's a new one.  Ran the new MatGlossDump, it worked.

Kinda.

Red sand appears as pink, chalk, oddly, appears as yellow now, ice (when smoothed) is also pink [Smoothing ice when it refreezes in an area where it thaws is a good way to get a bit of spare Smoothing/Engraving in], Talc appears proper white, gabbro is red, microcline is dark gray... it's very... odd.
Sorry, stupid mistake (again ::) ). I've uploaded a new version:
http://www.2shared.com/file/6927710/947417c8/MatGlossDump.html
You should just have to do the following though:
In Data/matgloss_metal.csv change all the first column from 1s to 2s
In Data/matgloss_stone.csv change all the first column from 2s to 1s
I'm making this more robust as we speak, so over the weekend I'll release a new version that automatically works with modded version.

I don't know about the back polygons, I'll look at it for the next release.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2009, 06:50:44 am »

Lovely pictures! I particularly like the way you've abused that river :)

Ramps being stuck in the air is certainly going to be interesting, I don't think I accounted for that possibility. Another person was having what sounds like the same problem and fixed it:

Floors should be the correct colour, I've just tested it myself. You can also see it in the Abberverse shot above. If you send me the map I'll have a look at it.

Sorry, I'd made a change to the program and not tested it properly. Here's a link to the fixed version, and I'll update the main package tonight (GMT). Remember that if you have spaces in the path you must surround it with double quotes (").
http://www.2shared.com/file/6926123/9a610e66/MatGlossDump.html (link is at the bottom of the page, and small).
I was hoping to avoid reading the matgloss table from DF memory, but seeing the problems I think I'll have to.

Here is the log:

Vertical sync disabled

This one baffles me, since I can't see anything wrong with line in question. As I can't do trial and error on this I've only got 2 suggestions left:
1- Update your graphics drivers if you haven't already
2- I'll fiddle with the shaders before the next release, removing some of the debugging cruft that may be causing the problem. Try again then. However, given that your card doesn't seem to support multisampling or antisotropic filtering more than 2x it may just be incapable of running the shaders.

Would be possible to color non-constructed ceilings the same colour as walls and constructed with the same colour as building material? So in this case ceiling of microcline tunnel would be blue?
I could colour the ceilings the same colour as the floor very easily. I'd rather not have to have wall checking logic involved. With constructions it actually makes more sense to use the colour from the floor above (since really you're seeing the undetside of the floor above), but I'm happy to make the change unless anybody else objects. We can just say the dwarves painted the ceiling or something :)

It shouldn't give a compilation error like that no matter what your GPU supports/doesn't support.  Certainly not a syntax error from the preprocessor!  Something's very wrong here.  Especially since line 2 of Default.vert doesn't even have a preprocessor directive!  Is it possible that your files got munged up somewhere in the compression/decompression?  It sounds a lot like some of the line endings got stripped.  Also, look into DirectionalLighting.h.  It might be showing you the error in the file as it is after the #include is processed, meaning the error would be in DirectionalLighting.h.  Though it doesn't have any directive on line 2 either...

Check those line endings.  Especially if you're running on Linux, since I believe that it uses a different character sequence for newlines.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 90