Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325389 times)

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 06:49:18 am »

Unfortunately determining the type of trees is more complicated than you would expect, and I'm reluctant to add more memory hacking. I'm hoping Toady will replace the ASCII dump in the current version with a useable binary format and we can drop the hacking entirely. I'll draw up a format proposal for this sometime.

The unrevealed areas probably haven't been allocated by DF. This is the same problem as Reveal, with the same solution: designate and undesignate the whole bottom level. Doing this will make loading the map (in DF) slower though.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 10:18:23 am »

also, when fixing the noise in smoothed rock issue, kindly also remove it from water.

when I make a floor bridge across a river, I get a moses effect. :D

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2009, 10:30:06 am »

I downloaded your updated version, but I'm still getting the "Terrain material" bug.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2009, 10:33:02 am »

Well crap, it could be anything then :( . The best thing to do would be to get a Linux version going, and the only real problem there is the memory reading as the rest of the app is more-or-less cross platform already. Ideally I'd like to use Khazad/peterix's DFExtractor instead of mine, his code's really nice and he's definitely better at that side of things than I am, but the inter-relationship between DFExtractor/DFMap makes that difficult.
The crash was a problem with parts of the nvidia graphics driver going out of sync. Solved it with a restart. I still get some other crashes, but there's nothing valuable in the log... At least I can't tell. It sorta works for DF running in wine.

I'm working on separating khazad and the df access library... only thing blocking this is that I don't have a build environment for libdfhack yet (new name, there are too many changes coming, especially syncing changes back to df). The only dependencies are now TinyXML, libmhash on Linux and PSAPI.DLL on Windows.

In any case, I'll be happy to cooperate. The API isn't stable in any way tho...

Btw. Is there a way to get the source and start hacking?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2009, 11:01:28 am »

I see about the TC thing. It was just a thought anyways.

Even though my fort isn't much to look at right now, it looks pretty good with the colors. The desert part could be made to look a bit more sandy looking as black sand desert looks too similar to mountain terrain, apart from the boulders strewn all over. I can easily see this bieng used as a guide while doing a megaproject.

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 11:04:55 am »

This absolutely rocks.

I loaded up an old fort, it's so amazing seeing how the fort looks in 3D. I made a new fort in an area with a chasm; I would fly through and find all sorts of awesome tunnels. They'd look small and unimporessive in 2D, but when I'd start to fly through and check out how they'd look to a dwarf... this is pretty epic.

I absolutely cannot wait to see how it evolves when other things (Doors, furniture, workshops, etc) show up.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2009, 11:05:52 am »

The sand texture doesn't look very, well, sandy I agree.

Btw. Is there a way to get the source and start hacking
I'll see about getting a repository set up for the source, I don't have it with me at the moment.

I downloaded your updated version, but I'm still getting the "Terrain material" bug.
Bugger sorry. I'd missed an 'f' in the shader header. You can re-download the package or open the Shaders/DirectionalLighting.h file and replace it with:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2009, 11:26:29 am »

That's not the file that's the problem, the one that's giving me trouble is "MatGlossBlend.frag".

I downloaded again, and it's still not working.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2009, 11:29:38 am »

Very nice, like the randomized terrain effects, the magma texture is nice as well.  My fortress is built close to a small lake and the water noise effect looks nice too (though I see how it could mess up floor bridges close to the water.)  I also like the fortifications, but it would be nice if they could detect if there is another wall or fortification above them and use a different model then.  It does look a little odd to see fortifications on top of fortifications.

And a forest actually looks like a goddamn forest!  That impressed me as much as anything.  Screenies to come.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2009, 11:44:13 am »

I intend to sort out the that problem, yes. I'll probably change fortifications with a roof to be a wall with a hole/window in it. Corner fortification will have to be plain old walls I guess.

That's not the file that's the problem, the one that's giving me trouble is "MatGlossBlend.frag".

They're merged together before compilation. Does the log give a different log error? This is difficult because I can't test it. If my driver behaved the same way I could fix it straight away.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2009, 11:48:04 am »

Had a chance to try it out briefly last night. Looks pretty good, although Gypsum showed up grey instead of yellow. I'm going to try to test it out with an interesting fort at some point (although most of my good forts right now are with 40d11, since 40d13 has issues on my laptop).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2009, 11:54:50 am »

IMAGES!

Spoiler: Overview of Hollowmaw (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Razin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2009, 01:26:52 pm »

Great looking program...

Since you've already done d9 and d11, I don't suppose you could get it to work for d12?   Unless it's more hassle for you to do that then it is for me to switch versions, in which case I'll just bite the bullet and switch.  ;D

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:38 pm »

They're merged together before compilation. Does the log give a different log error? This is difficult because I can't test it. If my driver behaved the same way I could fix it straight away.

I am getting "Failed to load terrain material" error too, replacing that file didn't help.
Here is the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »

Would be possible to color non-constructed ceilings the same colour as walls and constructed with the same colour as building material? So in this case ceiling of microcline tunnel would be blue?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 90