Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325879 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1245 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:21 pm »

i would say yes. if someone provides a model i am sure it could be incooperated. .... that begs the question if the source code VisFort was included in the zipfile. If so we could make some inofficial additions.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:29 pm »

i would say yes. if someone provides a model i am sure it could be incooperated. .... that begs the question if the source code VisFort was included in the zipfile. If so we could make some inofficial additions.
Much like Dwarf Fortress itself, I believe we don't have enough differentiation of items, so I have to agree.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 21, 2010, 12:48:49 am »

Back on topic (please?), does every species of tree really deserve its own model?

Deciduous, conifer, cacti, mushroom.

There, I think that pretty much covers anything we're likely to see and/or care about.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 21, 2010, 05:13:58 pm »

Deciduous, conifer, cacti, mushroom.

There, I think that pretty much covers anything we're likely to see and/or care about.

That, and perhaps a few trees like willows that have distinctive appearances.  But making a big deal out of the differences between (say) an ash, an oak, or a chestnut would be a bit too much, agreed.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 22, 2010, 11:46:17 pm »

OK, Back on topic.

My steel royal palace (in a steel royal castle) is completed! Along with windows made of diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:36 am »

VFort still doesn't have a gigantic mushroom model for the towercap?   :(
Visfort still doesn't *look* at the tree objects and has no notion of wood matgloss.
A quick and dirty kludge would be making any "indoor" tree a mushroom. 

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »

One thing that does get me about dwarf fortress and visualizers is the fact that you have to build a top ground fort for it to be impressive.

I was wondering, could we invert the open space and filled space?  If you dug out a huge underground base, it would be 'filled' while the soil around it would be empty space.  Perhaps then we can get epic underground fortresses as well?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »

One thing that does get me about dwarf fortress and visualizers is the fact that you have to build a top ground fort for it to be impressive.

I was wondering, could we invert the open space and filled space?  If you dug out a huge underground base, it would be 'filled' while the soil around it would be empty space.  Perhaps then we can get epic underground fortresses as well?

You'd get something like this.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:24 pm »

I can open VF just fine. Yet after it loads the DF from File>Dump. It crashes on me (gets the "this program is not responding")

Standard System Info

I'm guessing this is the Debugging/Error thing/wha-cha-ma-call-it

Quite a bit "disabled" and "not supported" things, could be the culprit, but not sure what the problem is. The VF i recieved was from the 1st post. If there is a updated version buried in the last 80+ pages, I wont find it...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:08:33 pm by Zenatsu »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 23, 2010, 07:13:09 pm »

Zenatsu, I had a problem like that - it was caused by using a Home Premium version of Windows (either Vista or 7). Dunno if that's your issue though.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:07 pm »

But i'm using professional o.O
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:58:02 pm by Zenatsu »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 23, 2010, 10:23:28 pm »

S'pose it's not what's wrong, then. Can't help more than that. Sorreh.

Dorten, wicked palace :D Are you going to add single-pillar walls along the walls to give it that castle-y fortified look?

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 24, 2010, 11:42:19 am »

You'd get something like this.

Yeah, thats the idea! 

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54:17 pm »

Anyone know how to update vis fortress for 40d18?

draugath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 90