Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325829 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1140 on: February 19, 2010, 09:20:47 am »

Heres a rather fun screenshot of the results of underestimating the pressure in my pipes. I wanted to fill the little pond near my entrance, as I had it designated as a pond to be fileld for years, and it never got filled. Unfortunately, 2 steps after the water got to the pond, it was full. And it just kept coming... Up and up and up. And it seems the dwarf who originally pulled the level has decided to go grab a drink. And my resevoir still is over 3/4 full.  :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm just starting to dabble in dwarvish construction but... would it be possible to...
- intentionally create such a geysir
- let it push up through a grate (placed maybe 2/3 on the way up)
- put floor tiles/walls around the grate to channel the water... elsewhere.

That would be a single column reversed waterfall, falling... up.
After all, gravity is only a technical issue. =)
An interesting suggestion... it would allow a method of providing water to a suspended fortress without having a connection point... I'm thinking:
Code: [Select]
     #############
     D    FORT   #  PUMP TOWER
##################  ########
     #    ~~~WELL#  # %>_  #
     #~~~~#=#~~~~#  # <% # #
     ######~######  # %> # #
           ~        # <% # #
########==#~#==###### %> # #
########  #~#  %>~~~~~#|## #
########~~#~#~~#|######|## #
###########~####*-@@@--*## # <-- Wheels for power
###########~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
############################

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 19, 2010, 11:46:44 am »

Quote from: Andir
An interesting suggestion... it would allow a method of providing water to a suspended fortress without having a connection point...
And if you manage to pressurize the water highly enough you might shoot it up far enough to create a high enough storage tank for a suspended fortress to run it's internal plumbing (maybe a decorative waterfall in all 4 corners of the dining hall) or have it's own internal water wheels.

Wireless (water) power transmission. =P

Now that would be a remarkable feat of engineering. During the summer. LOL
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:51:38 am by Gazz »
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 19, 2010, 01:32:41 pm »

You would probably only retain about 1/10th (if that) of the water and the areas underneath your fortress would probably be perpetually flooded but it could work.

Inefficient? Horrible side effects for the surrounding environment?  High chance of spectacular failure? Sounds dwarven to me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 19, 2010, 02:05:21 pm »

Is the spread visible in the VF pic on the way down? It seems that if you want it to be more efficient, a chute for the water would keep things in a 1x1 line up, maybe with a pump halfway to boost?

Or you could keep it open and try having some sort of midway station to boost it?

Regardless wouldn't be easy, but isn't that the point?

Or am I missing the point?
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 19, 2010, 02:31:02 pm »

Is the spread visible in the VF pic on the way down? It seems that if you want it to be more efficient, a chute for the water would keep things in a 1x1 line up, maybe with a pump halfway to boost?

Or you could keep it open and try having some sort of midway station to boost it?

Regardless wouldn't be easy, but isn't that the point?

Or am I missing the point?
The pump would "reset" the pressure instead of boosting it.  Water pressure is determined by the exit point of the last pump it touches.  So the water should shoot up to the level of the last pump in the tower and no higher.

The question on if the spread is created by the falling water or if it's from the rising water is a good one though.  I put the grates on the ground level to suck up the falling water, but if the geyser is formed because the water has no horizontal path... then those would be counter-productive and would need to be moved further away from the exit point.

I'd be willing to accept a perpetually flooded area below as you'd need a source of water and hovering a fort over a water source would be as acceptable as over dry land, IMHO.  You could also setup a small collection area below the fort for water runoff.  Or use one of the other methods of using an extreme jet to propel water above the fort to "rain down" through some wheels for power... then collect that water runoff to shoot back up.

I gotta start a few forts and try this out now.   ;D

Also, the "point" is to provide water to the fort without a chute, so that would invalidate the point. ;)

Edit:  Now you got me thinking about a support pillar being "in" the "water chute" for an almost totally isolated fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:41:22 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 19, 2010, 03:11:23 pm »

Point? Pfft.
It'd be a new dwarvish natural disaster so what other justification is needed?
Actually, the whole point was to have water shoot up high into the sky (for no particular reason at all) and then figure out some way for the dwarves to do something useful with that. =P

The reverse flow back down the grate might be unavoidable so the cascade down the geysir (in the picture) always happens but that should be avoidable if there is a pump instead of the receiving grate, making that a one way flow up into your flying fortress.
Shooting water up into your fortress. Because you can.

For purely decorative uses you could have a waterfall up into your fortress on one side and back down on the other. So it would look like the water coming out of nowhere. But that's a matter for architects, not engineers. =)

The main technical issue I see with that is that you might create your own personal glacier come winter, with more and more water flowing outside over the frozen surface and adding another layer. You might end up with your whole fortress encased in an ice cone.

Perfect.

Now for a sensible water supply for a suspended fortress you'd probably build a chute (with or without pumps) and have the water "inside" and thus not freezing.
Bah. What's interesting about a water pipe?

Actually, I think this should be another thread by now. It's just a bit off topic. =P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:14:14 pm by Gazz »
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 19, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »

Did I do the memory thing wrong? I dropped the Memory Text from the "latest" revision and it still crashed on me.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1147 on: February 19, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »

Did I do the memory thing wrong? I dropped the Memory Text from the "latest" revision and it still crashed on me.
Nope, problem was on my side... I just didn't think visfort would be this fragile...

Use this file instead. I dumbed it down to a point where it works.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 23, 2010, 06:57:09 am »

Posting more Undergrotto screenies. I know this thread is expected to be image-heavy, but I'm posting 36 screenshots, so... yeah. Sorry in advance. It got a bit self-indulgent, I won't lie.

Older screenies are here. I avoided re-taking most previous shots, so you may want to check those ones out too.

Spoiler: The goblin drop tower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engineering (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The jail (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The hammerer's dungeon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The trade depot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The mayoral manor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mountaingate (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The royal palace (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The ship (click to show/hide)

Undergrotto isn't done yet, but it's getting damn near close, so I'll be back one last time probably in about a week to post how the last handful of projects turn out. Don't worry, I won't spam up the thread with another thousand images next time (sorry again for that).

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 23, 2010, 01:17:07 pm »

just awesome.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 23, 2010, 01:43:23 pm »

.. Is that a gigantic cave?
How much stone did that produce?! From the looks of it there must've been 300,000+!!!
But yeah, that is awesome, as in the old definition; "inspiring awe: an awesome sight."
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »

No offense to anyone else, but Undergrotto is probably the most impressive fortress I've ever seen.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:50 pm »

.. Is that a gigantic cave?
How much stone did that produce?! From the looks of it there must've been 300,000+!!!
But yeah, that is awesome, as in the old definition; "inspiring awe: an awesome sight."

I dug out the cavern in two halves of 300k each, and the various other digging projects took up 100k here or there. Thanks to efficiency and some sneaky raw work, I only have about a few thousand stone lying around, and since I've been building primarily out of diorite, it actually warranted digging a quarry >_>;

No offense to anyone else, but Undergrotto is probably the most impressive fortress I've ever seen.

Thank you very much! I try to avoid directly responding to positive feedback because I feel kind of elitist but a compliment like that means a lot.

Edit: In reponse to the below, sort of. You set melting temp to 10000 and boiling temp to 10010 of only the layer stone (in this case diorite) as well as unwanted clusters (orthoclase, microcline)... but only after you've dug it out, so you can take the insta-boil mist all at once rather than slowing down the project boiling away each individual stone one at a time. I only did that for the main cavern's 600k stone, though. The other 200k~300k stone has been dumped into the river chasm mostly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:39:21 am by Retro »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 24, 2010, 12:36:10 am »

What di d you do to the raws? set the melt tem to dwarven body temp?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 25, 2010, 03:49:51 am »

Ooooh!

Aaaaah!

Woooow, dude!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44