Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325627 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #915 on: November 06, 2009, 10:53:09 am »

In theory, if you used three black gems such as onyx in a gem window, it should show up as a black window. I haven't actually tested gem windows out myself with this, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Technically they would be a dark grey color according to the wiki, but you should be able to achieve the same effect.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:55:13 am by smjjames »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #916 on: November 06, 2009, 10:59:13 am »

In theory, if you used three black gems such as onyx in a gem window, it should show up as a black window. I haven't actually tested gem windows out myself with this, so I'm not sure.

Edit: Technically they would be a dark grey color according to the wiki, but you should be able to achieve the same effect.

While that is cool, I don't think there's even close to the necessary 6,336 black gems it would have taken to make that many black gem windows.  I would have had to cheat horribly to pull that off.  At least with glass you ostensibly have an infinite supply of resources readily available (especially if you have magma at your disposal), and thus don't need to change the data files to get what you're after.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:08:53 am by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 06, 2009, 11:08:26 am »

Yea, I was also thinking that would be a hell of alot of gems and assuming the caravans didn't get scared off by sieges/ambushes and your liason doesn't get themselves killed, it would still take many decades just doing it by trade alone.

One thought though is that you could try putting windows in front of the dark stone to see how the effect looks. You would still have to make 3,000+ windows, but it would be alot easier than trying to obtain the gems.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #918 on: November 06, 2009, 11:12:10 am »

Yea, I was also thinking that would be a hell of alot of gems and assuming the caravans didn't get scared off by sieges/ambushes and your liason doesn't get themselves killed, it would still take many decades just doing it by trade alone.

One thought though is that you could try putting windows in front of the dark stone to see how the effect looks. You would still have to make 3,000+ windows, but it would be alot easier than trying to obtain the gems.

Seeing as my fort's the Mountainhome in my current game, it'd take far more than decades since I'd only have human traders to count on for black gems at that.  Though building an inner wall of rhyolite with the outer wall being clear glass windows is an interesting idea, it'd definitely look strange.  It'd also require a hell of a lot of work to pull off at this point, well over a thousand deconstructions, reconstructions, and windows forged.  I'm not so miffed about accuracy that I'd bother, really.  The tower's quite intimidating just the way it is.  Although I will keep that idea in mind next time I want to have colored-glass windows in huge quantities...
Sanity is for the weak.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 06, 2009, 11:17:37 am »

I didn't mean to ask you to pull off a mass deconstruction, I meant like you could try it out on a few places to see what the effect looks like first before doing it all at once.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 06, 2009, 11:48:21 am »

Won't there be an option for vertical-axis windmills instead?

The kind I'm talking about look kinda like this, Persian style:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

According to how they look in game, I always assumed they looked like that. At least; as an option, if there are additional windmills stacked on top or something, they can always change form (like fortification). But an option of style could always be nice. Plus, the vert-axis can be resized to fit in more appropriate scale.

That's also considering how the windmills look when they are initially started, or built.
Actually windmills are:
XXX
XXX
XXX
So the persian windmill can't be the one.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 06, 2009, 11:54:03 am »

Thats just the base of it though isn't it?

Maybe if it was a corkscrew shape, but then it would be pretty inefficient as windmills rely on wind pushing a large surface area. It would work fine as a toy or something but not for actually making power. What the hell am I thinkng, a corkscrew shape would be a turbine. Still......

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 06, 2009, 12:30:44 pm »

the windmills take up a 3x3 area but they usually only face one direction. And that direction seems to change based on the wind direction. When they first built they rotate a little bit until they catch the wind direction. I'm almost positive I saw a windmill facing North/South at one time as well as East/West.  So I always imagined they were sorta like a larger version of a wind vane.

Ya know, like you used to see in chicken shapes on top of barns.  ...I think it might be an America thing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 06, 2009, 01:50:06 pm »

Sky render, that looks like sir farquads castle from shrek  :P.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #924 on: November 06, 2009, 04:16:59 pm »

Sky render, that looks like sir farquads castle from shrek  :P.

I suppose there's a vague resemblance, but it bears a far stronger resemblance to the Wells Fargo Center.

Sanity is for the weak.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 06, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »

It makes me think Orthanc: Corporate Edition.  Saruman the Gecko is CEO.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 06, 2009, 05:34:53 pm »

Won't there be an option for vertical-axis windmills instead?

The kind I'm talking about look kinda like this, Persian style:

According to how they look in game, I always assumed they looked like that. At least; as an option, if there are additional windmills stacked on top or something, they can always change form (like fortification). But an option of style could always be nice. Plus, the vert-axis can be resized to fit in more appropriate scale.

That's also considering how the windmills look when they are initially started, or built.
Actually windmills are:
XXX
XXX
Maybe the base of the windmill is raised, so that it can be what Itnetledor posted and still have creatures walk under it?

I have to say, it does seem difficult to get a normal windmill to fit in a square; it seems more like it'd be a 2x3 or 3x2.
XXX
So the persian windmill can't be the one.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 06, 2009, 08:40:39 pm »

I think the Persian style fits df better then the dutch windmills. simply because they are basically vertical axles with sails. while the dutch windmills were actually mills hence the larger structure. all the winsmills do in DF is transfer power so they are simply wind turbines.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 06, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »

It makes me think Orthanc: Corporate Edition.  Saruman the Gecko is CEO.
Eh it's a good one
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 06, 2009, 11:35:11 pm »

Wow, your right it does.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 90