Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325616 times)

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #900 on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »

OMFG. epic awesome app. I'm downloading.

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 05, 2009, 01:36:50 am »

Half of these buildings are bugged in the current version, but I may as well upload them now. Here is the machine components model pack:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1559

To install, first extract the zip file into your Visual Fortress directory. Then you must copy the objects_buildings.csv file into the Data folder, UNLESS you have customized this file already, in which case you must copy the relevant lines manually (However, Unix or Cygwin users can instead apply the diff file using "patch objects_buildings.csv machines_patch.diff").

Screenshots:

Windmill, front view
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Windmill, back view

Crapload of windmills for powering my magma deathtrap

Wooden screw pump, front view

Wooden screw pump, back view

Iron screw pumps from my magma deathtrap (luckily, these happen to be facing the right way)

Water wheel (with wrongly-oriented horizontal axle)

Gear assembly. Those gears use up a lot of polys, so I also made a LOD version.

Gear assembly LOD (although I couldn't get this to actually show up as a LOD, so I assume that isn't implemented yet?)

Rare coincidence where a horizontal axle actually looks right, plus vertical axle

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 05, 2009, 01:41:28 am »

Now, some bug reports:

1. Remember how I said that all screw pumps face north? Well, east-west facing water wheels don't show up at all.

2. There is a bizarre shadowing problem where it looks like the windmill sails are somehow casting shadows on the windmill... from behind? (see the "windmill, back view" screenshot)

3. All of the models are slightly rotated in the Y axis (or whichever one is "up"). The effect is most obvious on the tables:

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 05, 2009, 04:06:07 am »

Nice building models! :) Looking forward to seeing more VF-pics of people's crazily complex engineering feats.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 05, 2009, 04:58:38 am »

Now, some bug reports:

1. Remember how I said that all screw pumps face north? Well, east-west facing water wheels don't show up at all.

2. There is a bizarre shadowing problem where it looks like the windmill sails are somehow casting shadows on the windmill... from behind? (see the "windmill, back view" screenshot)

3. All of the models are slightly rotated in the Y axis (or whichever one is "up"). The effect is most obvious on the tables:
Thanks, those models look great!
2- I think the shadowing must be caused by the buildings being rendered facing the wrong way during the shadow rendering pass. I'll investigate.
3- I thought I'd fixed that. Obviously not!

Seriously, thanks for the effort. There will be another version before too long.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 05, 2009, 07:01:45 am »

Firstly, thanks, this program finally made aboveground megaprojects fun for me (and the machinery update even more so)

Now for the bugs ;)
1. Statues work great indoors, lining hallways and in rooms. But outside, along my roads, they just face somewhere I don't want them to. Could you please make them face a road when one is nearby and there's nothing else, like walls?

2. Fortifications (the open ones, without floors above them) behave really strange when placed next to walls. The wall just disappears, even the back side, that is not touching the fortification, but from the other side, it looks alright (see spoiler, and sorry for all the microcline)
Not drawing the unneeded sides of walls is great when adjacent to other walls or full-height fortifications, but in this case, it looks terrible.

3. With these textures all the smooth floors look very light and don't show the building material at all, no matter which light or location. Walls look ok though, nice and contrast-ish.

4. Hell yeah, green glass pumps! Didn't know you already made some transparency. Anyway, they should be facing the other way (should be north-to-south but are shown as south-to-north)

PS: Now I need to build a wooden ship with waterwheels at the side and an iron cannon, i mean screwpump, at the front...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:50 am »

Kewlness, can't wait for the new models and stuff :)

I hope they face the right way though and stuff.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 05, 2009, 07:30:40 am »

Are those green glass screwpumps?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 05, 2009, 07:51:24 am »

Those are indeed green glass pumps. Wooden screw and pipe, but the glass blocks define the appearance (as it is ingame)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:24 am »

Said leap made me realize just how pitifully tiny our megaconstructions in Dwarf Fortress really are.  Even at an amazing 30 z-levels and a generous 10 meters per z-level, we reach an astounding height of 300m, which is a mere one third the height of that thing.

Sense of scale is relative though. So if a dwarf is about 4 feet tall and a human 6, you would have to cut the height of everything by a third for it to match up.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 05, 2009, 09:56:21 am »

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention about the models is that they are designed to fit in 5x5 tiles. So if you have power being transferred vertically, there will be gaps if you use 5x10.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 05, 2009, 11:51:22 am »

I haven't actually played the game for ages due to waiting for the new version, and thus haven't tested this utility, but reading abaut all the orientation woes I got an idea I might as well say:
As a preliminary measure for people wanting to make screen shots of their forts and such, couldn't you just implement manual rotation of models that are created facing the wrong way?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 05, 2009, 06:58:46 pm »

Said leap made me realize just how pitifully tiny our megaconstructions in Dwarf Fortress really are.  Even at an amazing 30 z-levels and a generous 10 meters per z-level, we reach an astounding height of 300m, which is a mere one third the height of that thing.

Sense of scale is relative though. So if a dwarf is about 4 feet tall and a human 6, you would have to cut the height of everything by a third for it to match up.

Still makes a staggeringly tall 10m tile ratio match up to an equivalent half.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #913 on: November 05, 2009, 08:05:38 pm »

Won't there be an option for vertical-axis windmills instead?

The kind I'm talking about look kinda like this, Persian style:

According to how they look in game, I always assumed they looked like that. At least; as an option, if there are additional windmills stacked on top or something, they can always change form (like fortification). But an option of style could always be nice. Plus, the vert-axis can be resized to fit in more appropriate scale.

That's also considering how the windmills look when they are initially started, or built.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:07:24 pm by Itnetlolor »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #914 on: November 06, 2009, 10:24:02 am »

Dwarf Fortress will never be the same after this app.  It even inspired me to make my own mega-fortress, albeit not the most creative one.

Much looking forward to future releases of this application.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:26:05 am by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 90