Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325498 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #825 on: October 12, 2009, 02:55:55 pm »

Just another update, I tried reinstalling both this program and DF a few times including using different repacks, and everything comes up with the same error. The solution someone posted doesnt seem to work. It is odd because it works on the other PC, is it possible that my PC isnt allowing Visual Fortress access to the right information or something?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 12, 2009, 04:44:38 pm »

If it couldn't read the memory it would just fail. The hidden bit is in the same filed as the water level, so if there is water on the map then it's definitely got the data.

Just to be sure, you are using version 0.802 yes? (from the screenshot I think you are)

Perhaps it's the lighting/rendering? Try the following:
- If you are using shaders try disabling them in the .ini file (check visualfortess.log to see if you're using them). Then restart the app of course
- Try adjusting the lighting effects (both with and without shaders). +/- moves the sun, and there are sliders for the brightness.
- Posting the .log might help,

I just can't think of anything else that could possibly cause the problem :/

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 12, 2009, 07:06:11 pm »

By the way, i'm kinda curious. Why does the camera start with looking at the map 'upside down'? You'd thnk it'd be flipped around 180 degrees along the x axis, so it looks at the map from the same direction as DF does.

...Yeah, I ponder that everytime i open VF. :D

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 13, 2009, 06:45:08 am »

Yesterday I had a burning goblin running around, and I wished VF could show the smoke, it would have been a stunning screenshot.
Is it possible to smoke and miasma anyway?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 13, 2009, 08:37:06 am »

By the way, i'm kinda curious. Why does the camera start with looking at the map 'upside down'? You'd thnk it'd be flipped around 180 degrees along the x axis, so it looks at the map from the same direction as DF does.

...Yeah, I ponder that everytime i open VF. :D

Me too, I always flip the view back to normal.

How is the next version coming? Any ETA on the release?

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 13, 2009, 08:59:30 am »

Well, it might take a while. I've got quite a long list (in my head) of changes to make, but unfortunately my home PC died last week which means that testing is quite difficult.

Yesterday I had a burning goblin running around, and I wished VF could show the smoke, it would have been a stunning screenshot.
Is it possible to smoke and miasma anyway?
I'm not actually sure how smoke/miasma/mist etc is stored, I would have assumed that it was in the designation or occupancy flags but I can't see anything likely. If I can find it easily I'll probably add it in for the next release but given that the internal implementation is changing dramatically in the next DF version I won't be spending too much time searching on it.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 13, 2009, 10:23:07 am »

- If you are using shaders try disabling them in the .ini file (check visualfortess.log to see if you're using them). Then restart the app of course.

Problem solved, thanks very much!

Edit:
Would it be possible to add some way of telling what mineral the square your mouse is over is? What would be perfect is an option that you can check or uncheck from the menu on the left that adds some sort of box to the bottom right or something telling you which substance your mouse is hovering over, eg. 'Bauxite' or 'Water'
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:25:45 am by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 14, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »

Hmmm, I sent three E-mails of a sav file away and no reply, Bugger Ive got a fortress Id really like to see done up here.  Anyone can indulge me?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 14, 2009, 06:07:53 pm »

Hmmm, I sent three E-mails of a sav file away and no reply, Bugger Ive got a fortress Id really like to see done up here.  Anyone can indulge me?

I would be happy to help if you send me a save. I will be able to post pictures 3-4 hours after you send me the save, worst case.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »

I would be happy to help if you send me a save. I will be able to post pictures 3-4 hours after you send me the save, worst case.

Better yet, upload the file to DFFD so that anyone who's willing can download it, instead of just whoever you email it to.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:46 pm »

Heh funny timing. I was just going to post here that I got your save file.

I had been having crashes of my Dell laptop under heavy video use so I had to get a new motherboard put in.

I'll post up some shots tonight, in the meantime here is a teaser.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #836 on: October 14, 2009, 07:14:25 pm »

I like circles  :)

I also like geology. Layers!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:27:38 pm by Kishmond »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:16 pm »

Heh funny timing. I was just going to post here that I got your save file.

I had been having crashes of my Dell laptop under heavy video use so I had to get a new motherboard put in.

I'll post up some shots tonight, in the meantime here is a teaser.

((Makes Girlie Squeeling noises))
oo! oo! oo!

I always Wondered what the valley looked like, and never thought about viewing it from the opposite angle! Looks very fetching I must say! can't wait to see you other pics of the fortress! interested to see what the inner courtyard looks like from abovce as well as the bridge to the secondary fortress up top.  Im still not sure what to build up thier, either a grand tower,m a dome a temple to Armok, something Grand at least!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:17 am »

I'm a bit dissapointed about the clear glass blocks, I am making a clear glass block roof for my AG farms, but in VF they show as grey floors while I've seen screenshots of glass stuff that looks like glass.

I dunno if its a bug or its a setting thing.

Edit: Same for walls..... gonna see about the windows..... after they're made of course.

Edit: At least the windows work. I would have liked the glass constructions to look like glass, even if they are opaque.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:24:41 am by smjjames »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 15, 2009, 02:50:33 pm »

I think earlier he said something about transparent glass walls causing some sort of bug, so no transparency until/unless that gets figured out.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90