Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325284 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #585 on: September 14, 2009, 07:20:53 am »

Pretty cool. :)

Also, does the Dig Deeper mod have more variety of colors or is it the same colors in vanilla DF? I'm thinking of doing the Dig Deeper mod after I finish this fort (or maybe just make a new folder anyway), applying Maydays graphics mod, and removing the orcs. I'm not sure how Mayday's graphics mod will display the various new stones and ores. I understand that for the new creatures and stuff, it will default to the ASCII graphics, which I'm fine with since it already does this for corpses and built cages.

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 14, 2009, 07:32:07 am »

The view out of my mayors office, with WIP aquarium in the background:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some funkiness with windows and corners:
ust pretend this is interesting.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 14, 2009, 07:40:49 am »

I just had an idea: You can export a worldmap in legends mode, right?
What about viewing the worldmap (maybe even with those 2 zoomed in region-screens you see on embarking) in 3d?
Instead of having a tile with a tree you would have a forest-tile. (like those)
I'm not talking about zooming in and seeing you fortress like you can do it now, a simple "fortress-tile" would be enough. (Just like on the 2D Worldmaps now)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:56 am »

Wow, yeah! You can export a world altitude map from legends mode, too!
You could use that to make a 3d model of the landscape, and then plop forests and forts down on it!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 14, 2009, 07:48:57 am »

Well... I forgot about it, and don't consider it good enough to be viewed with the other - huge megaprojects... but.

Ta-Da.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 14, 2009, 08:08:02 am »

DF Visualiser dosent wanto work on my computer for some reason i tried 3 diffrent version of dwarf fortress (mikes,Normal 40D and 40D16) but it says there arent any existing DF versions running.
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 14, 2009, 08:11:55 am »

You "should" also keep in mind that when you tell someone that they "should" or "must," that you are exerting authority over them.

I've taught English and am CELTA certified. Sorry, but the word should is the subjunctive or the "unreal" mood of shall, implying either improbability or uncertainty, and does not have the jussive force of the word must. It is far closer to the word ought in expressing a suggestion rather than a command. The others were right, and you were wildly incorrect both in diction and in manners, Volfram. You should pay more attention to the language that you are conversing in, buddy.

On an unrelated but more relevant note, this visualizer is great. I look forward to updates for VF as much as DF!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 14, 2009, 08:14:02 am »

Aw, thanks for bringing it back up.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 14, 2009, 09:21:47 am »

You "should" also keep in mind that when you tell someone that they "should" or "must," that you are exerting authority over them.

I've taught English and am CELTA certified. Sorry, but the word should is the subjunctive or the "unreal" mood of shall, implying either improbability or uncertainty, and does not have the jussive force of the word must. It is far closer to the word ought in expressing a suggestion rather than a command. The others were right, and you were wildly incorrect both in diction and in manners, Volfram. You should pay more attention to the language that you are conversing in, buddy.

On an unrelated but more relevant note, this visualizer is great. I look forward to updates for VF as much as DF!

Keep the argument in your English class or something will you? lol

@Drug_Unit. Which version of Maydays graphics mod? The one I use is the 40D11 version (release 18 of the mayday graphics), but he recently released an updated one for 40D16 and I'm not sure if version 40D16 is supported yet. I don't have any issues with the 40D11 version. I used to have seemingly random 'incompatible version, aborting' problem, but the latest VF update fixed whatever was causing the problem and it's running just fine.

To get to an earlier version of Maydays graphics pack, right click the download hotlink, select copy link location, paste onto whichever browser window address bar, change the number to the version you want and press enter.

Although my map has a few strange terrain glitches involving the slice tool, but it can be worked around.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 14, 2009, 10:11:00 am »

Well... I forgot about it, and don't consider it good enough to be viewed with the other - huge megaprojects... but.

Ta-Da.

niice, pyramids is the sh*t!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:06 am »

@Ironhand

This can be done with minor knowledge of 3D art and it has been done several times. It looks strangely appealing when you texture it with exported worldmap.

@niama

Do you have some fish to swim in that?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:49 am »

Pot, meet Kettle...
At least I don't lie about the fact that I'm an incendiary individual.  You waited at least a full page between when Footkerchief said to end the matter and when you decided to start poking the wild animal with sticks.

I'd be happy to drop it as long as you will agree to shut your worthless piehole.
Would You Kindly not call people worthless?

What does Bioshock have to do with anything?

Spoiler: Bioshock (click to show/hide)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 14, 2009, 12:33:47 pm »

Blast! Yer all making my little piddly fort look sad and depressing.

I'll show you! I'll show you all! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Damn they all died of dehydration.  Well there goes that plan.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 14, 2009, 12:45:49 pm »

(did anyone notice I gave a suggestion for the camera could collide with terrain?)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #599 on: September 14, 2009, 07:58:26 pm »

I received a report about this thread...  and it appears the argument is ongoing, or at least it has reanimated every couple of days.  Please keep the off-topic should discussion/argument out of the thread.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 90