Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325490 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2009, 12:19:21 pm »

EDIT: STILL CRASHING.......

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you tried just going to the menu instead of using the ctrl-R shortcut? I ask because I crash out every time when using ctrl-R but if I go to the menu everything is fine.

I'm also on Vista.

*FACEPALM* I feel like a fucking noob now ><

I'll post some pics soon to atone for my noobiness, lol.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 28, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »

EDIT: STILL CRASHING.......

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you tried just going to the menu instead of using the ctrl-R shortcut? I ask because I crash out every time when using ctrl-R but if I go to the menu everything is fine.

I'm also on Vista.

*FACEPALM* I feel like a fucking noob now ><

I'll post some pics soon to atone for my noobiness, lol.

Well it *is* still a bug. ;)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2009, 12:41:28 pm »

I meant that I felt like a noob for not doing that in the first place.

Anyways, my fortress isn't much to look at right now. I'm in an area full of obsidian and just mining it out and selling a few mechanisms accellerated the contact stuff faster than I generally experience it and the gobbos ambushed the second summer, while the humans were visiting.

Here is the dining room in progress, the tables and chairs are all obsidian. Also, furniture on unsmoothed floors creates exaggerated hills. It looks like placing furniture involves digging out about a foot of the floor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the entrance canopy meant to protect against snipers on the slope behind the entrance trying to shoot dwarves fleeing into the entrance. The bright white bit showing is actually alunite. I turned up the brightness as things looked too dark.

I really gotta do something about protecting the entrance better against ambushes. I do have some stonefall traps, but the ambush popped up right at the gate. I lost my carpenter in the proccess due to a dogpile from both ambush groups.

@Itnetlolor, did you mess around with the ambient and diffuse sliders? What does the diffuse do anyway?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:46:42 pm by smjjames »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2009, 12:55:54 pm »

Okay, so I tried the new version, and found this:
Everything's transparent. And I mean everything. The little specks are my dining room, bedrooms and noble's rooms. The black thing is the bottom of my chasm, 30 odd z-levels down from the tower the camera is beside, with the tower semi-visible.

Code: [Select]
Anti-aliasing not available with 16 samples. Choosing best.
Anti-aliasing: 4x MSAA
Shaders disabled
Vertical sync disabled
Anisotropic filtering level 16
Version 0.28.181.40d is supported
Version 28.181.40d11.win is supported
Version 28.181.40d13.win is supported
Version 28.181.40d14.win is supported
Version 28.181.40d11.win is supported
Version 0.28.181.40d detected
Reading map with size (12, 12, 40)
Reading material information...
Matgloss type 1 read. 230 total
Matgloss type 2 read. 26 total
Preparing to read map...
Reading blocks...
Creating Imposters...
FBO created (2048, 2048, depth_rbo)
RenderTexture 'ImposterRenderTexture0' created
RenderTexture 'ImposterRenderTexture1' created
ImposterCollection built -
    Target size: 2048
    Target count: 2
    Mesh count: 64
FBO destroyed
Initialising geometry pager...
Creating geometry...
Transferring geometry to GPU...
Loading textures...
Generating shadow map...
Done

Also,
Again, the transparancy, but don't you think that's a little steep? It's only 8 z-levels.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2009, 12:56:53 pm »

Another bug. It ooks like beds in alcoves like this

O=====O
|B    |
O===O O

← Bed Facing

...tend to face the walls, instead of away from them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2009, 01:02:37 pm »

On the plus side of this whole debacle, looks like the driver update REALLY helped with DF as far as FPS goes. In fact, it  seems to be going a bit too fast for me right now, lol, so much happening all at once.

Edit: Either a sudden bunch of pathing starts or a wierd memory leak caused DF to slow down all of a sudden and all over the place. Anyways, I fixed that and I'm going to do a fortress suicide so that I can go do a fort in a more wooded area as I've been using deserts because of FPS issues.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:07:37 pm by smjjames »

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »

Simmura McCrea enable shaders, I just wrote about it a few posts ago.

I have noticed that if I set USE_SHADERS to NO in the .ini file then some objects become semi-transparent, mostly constructed walls and smoothed floors, although smoothed natural walls seems ok.
Look at the bottom screenshot:

It may not be a bug, with shaders enabled everything is ok. 
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2009, 01:15:42 pm »

I did at first, and the same thing happened. Turned them off, no change.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2009, 01:21:34 pm »

Hmm no idea then. But I agree it is annoying to see everything through the walls.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »

First things first, I really love VisualFortress, it's just plain awesome to see my carefully planned fortresses (yeah, perfectionist, I know) in all their glory, with correct stone colors, real trees and now even statues and bridges  ;D

That being said, I have some problems to report, nothing fancy or new but it doesn't hurt, right? Lets see..

- dumping from DF with the "Ctrl+R" shortcut returns a crash, it dumps the map just fine when I use the menu option, though

- arrowslits looking funky, etc. As mentioned in other posts

- statues seem to face in odd directions for some reason, look at the screenshots

Are statues only supposed to face away from a wall when they are directly adjacent to it? Because not a single statue in my diningroom touches a wall and all are facing "north" (the "up" direction, ingame), by default I assume. That makes sense but it's still kind of odd to have statues face a wall from only one tile away.
[arrows added to screens to show directions, screens are rather blurry]

This one is a real problem, though. The screen was taken one Z level above the diningroom, still (almost) the same angle, but zoomed for more details. This one shows us another pair of statues, one of them facing north, thus looking into a wall. The other one is the only statue in my fortress that is not facing north, this one is looking to the south.... also into a wall  :(.
[again, arrows for directions. I also outlines some of the relevant walls]
[and here the same from the DF window, with arrows, again, because I felt like playing around with Paint  :D ]

I hope that helps, somehow. Statues always facing north when not adjacent to a wall is okay, but the wallhugging (2. picture) seems to be a bug. Keep up the good work!  8)

EDIT: last image didn't work. Curse you, imageshack

EDIT2: I just noticed that, when you place statues in a corner, they work correctly:
[just adding this here since I have nothing better to do right now  ;D]

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:39:36 pm by Gothmog »

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:41 pm »

Huzzah, it works!  So long as I turn off shaders.  *pokes bad graphics card* Ah, well.  Only problems I've had are the already-mentioned ones:  statues turned oddly, fortifications going goofy, bridges not matching up right next to rough terrain.  Overall good, though.  ;D
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 28, 2009, 11:22:26 pm »

Would it be possible to simply have an option to rotate statues, fortifications etc. within the visualiser?

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:48 pm »

Pics!

Here's my current project.

In this pic is start of a giant dome of orthoclase gold over the bottomless pit. The original fort entrance is on the hillside to the left.

New entrance underneath the dome. I like colors. Needs more red though...

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 29, 2009, 09:31:39 am »

Hm. I think we're awfully short on pics that show the new windows in all their glory.
My old fortress "Goldwheel" might not be the best to demonstrate (only has 24 of them..) but I'll post some screens anyways, just for the hell of it.

Outside view of the "epic" dining room. It's located in a tower and the 24 yellow gem windows (mostly imported yellow diamonds, some local honey Opals, too) allow the dining dwarves to ... vomit uncontrollably when confronted with the sunlight, I guess.  :P

What you can see when sitting on one of the chairs inside the diningroom. Tables and chairs are solid gold, the brown-ish tile at the bottom is a part of a ring of golden floor tiles that surrounds all tables and thrones ("Goldwheel", heh  :D )

Overall shot of the fortress, build in a hollowed hill. Walls are made from Microcline, the ramps that surround them are diorite. No raw boulders were used, only neat blocks (not that it matters, but you know... why not)

View from the other side of the map, focused on the large Orthoclase bridge and the river fort (diorite). I really love how the ramps change the way a fortress looks, instead of paper-thin right angle walls you get something that looks like it can actually withstand a catapult shot or two.

In case you wonder what's hidden inside the bulky fort that seems to hug the river (see the pic above). Well, naturally, the two most important things are stored there... booze and meals. But that's only the cellar, the aboveground construction is a massive 2z-level meetinghall, including a rather simple mosaic. I call it "The Hall of unwanted Idleness". My dwarves call it "eyescorching abomination". You decide.

All shot were taken with tilesize(XY/Z) 5/5 (standart is 5/10 I believe) because I like to use ramps and they look better with 5/5 IMO.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 29, 2009, 10:20:07 am »

Nice, do the gem window tint vary by the color ingame?

Right now, I really wish my damn AC adapter for the laptop hadn't died on me ><.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 90