Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325544 times)

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #315 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:18 am »

It would be nice togenerate the offsets automatically, but its not something I'm interested enough in to bother doing myself. 0x517A5D has done work in this area.

Barring unexpected issues I'm hopefully posting the next version tomorrow. Here's a picture I just took:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It looks a little rubbish because it's running on an ancient Geforce 2! I've added a non-shader rendering path so everyone should be able to run it now :).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:04:05 am by Baboonanza »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #316 on: August 27, 2009, 11:09:35 am »

Woo, another bug. Playing DF 40d13, on XP, modded game, if that's any use.

Code: [Select]
Anti-aliasing not available with 16 samples. Choosing best.
Anti-aliasing: 4x MSAA
Vertical sync disabled
Anisotropic filtering level 16
Loading vertex shader 'Default.vert'
Loading fragment shader 'MatGlossBlend.frag'
Failed to load shader Default.vert:MatGlossBlend.frag

And the VisualFortress.exe tells me "Failed to load terrain material".

All I'm trying to do is load up a small fortress to have a look at it.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2009, 11:43:36 am »

Try again with the next version (after it's released). I think I've fixed the problem, plus I've added in more debugging info.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #318 on: August 27, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »

Looking sweet so far.

I can't wait to check some of my old forts out with the upgrades.

I mean, I have a pretty nice dining room in an old fort I wanted to have a better view of. Unfortunately 3Dwarf lacked furniture.

Oh, will the new furniture be color-affected like the walls/floors? And when are doors going to be implemented?

EDIT:
And I don't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but what are the possibilities of making water/magma/glass transparent? Or at least have options for it? (especially with the magma, seeing as magma isn't usually transparent.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:10:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 27, 2009, 02:25:11 pm »

Looking good.  Tomorrow should be a good day  ;D
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2009, 05:19:13 pm »

(...) "Failed to load terrain material" (...)
Try again with the next version (after it's released). I think I've fixed the problem, plus I've added in more debugging info.

Wooot!!! I am so happy I finally will be able to run it! :)

By the way I have made a model of a door in Wings3D:

What do you think about it?

The handle is probably a little over-complicated and doesn't really look good, I am not satisfied with it. Any suggestions how it should look like?

And what textures should I use?
Doors can be made form many materials so a rock door wouldn't look very good with a wooden texture for example. How is this problem solved for other models of furniture?

I am also planning to make a slighty modified 'diagonal' version of the door. For situations like this:
Code: [Select]
+++   + - floor
OX+   O - wall
+O+   X - door
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:12 pm »

It looks a little rubbish because it's running on an ancient Geforce 2! I've added a non-shader rendering path so everyone should be able to run it now :).

This is awesome, although for me it comes just as I've finally solved my opengl problems ;D Just gave the app a whirl, and it rocks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 27, 2009, 08:05:36 pm »

How about solving the problem of it balking all over the place with the mayday mod? It does work, so there is no reason (no real one ainyway) that it should give a compatibility error and abort. Otherwise it works just fine.

As for that door, it somehow looks a bit Star Trekkish to me. Maybe it's just the geometry of the whole thing.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2009, 01:22:37 am »

Is there any possibility to check the material type of the object (stone, wood, glass, etc) and apply the texture/model accordingly?

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2009, 01:25:42 am »

Is there any possibility to check the material type of the object (stone, wood, glass, etc) and apply the texture/model accordingly?
I wish to ask for similar query, especially the difference between a rough stone wall, smooth stone wall, stone block wall and engraved stone wall.
** at least I could not find in matgloss_stone.csv tiletypes.csv **
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:28:05 am by yuhhaur »

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2009, 01:58:31 am »

I've added a non-shader rendering path so everyone should be able to run it now :).

I LOVE YOU!!!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2009, 02:05:53 am »

I wish to ask for similar query, especially the difference between a rough stone wall, smooth stone wall, stone block wall and engraved stone wall.
** at least I could not find in matgloss_stone.csv tiletypes.csv **
You can currently differentiate between smoothed and unsmoothed wall. Smoothed walls have tiletypes like 'MAPTILE_STONE_WALL_DET_RD2'
It's also easy to detect engravings, but it doesn't use any special texture for this at the moment, its easy to do so I'll add it soon.
Differentiating between walls built with blocks and walls built with stone is more difficult, additional memory hacking is required. I might add it in the future though.

I also plan on allowing textures to be specified for materials, so marble would look marbled for instance, but this requires both an additional layer of complexity in the material determination process and an additonal texture blending stage during rendering. All for the future.

The door model looks nice but yeah, lose the lock. The only possible issue is that it will be stretched vertically (because tiles in VF are taller than they are wide) so you may want to add more wall above to take this into account.

There is no way to choose the models based on material type (and unlikely to be one for a long time), so models need to look ok with either. If you give the surrounding wall a different submesh/material I can change that to blend in with the map. A special diagonal models would be ideal, but I'll have to add some code to accomodate it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2009, 03:03:12 am »

Thanks for the great program! I can't wait for bridges to be added, so that I can show off my favorite traps~
I really enjoy being able to go in for a dwarf's-eye view of my fortresses. Here is one of my dwarves favorite points for sniping goblins from:

Here is an overview of my current fort. The aquaduct pumps small amounts of water to the top of my fortress, where it spreads out and drops down the sides to create pretty waterfalls. At the bottom, I have some walled in farm plots that get irrigated by the water, and provide lots of food for my hungry dwarves.
At each of the entrances, I have built a balcony which is only accessible from the second floor of my fort. The second floor houses my barracks and archery ranges, so there are always nearby snipers ready to fend off any invaders. The balconies also house wells, so that thirsty snipers never need leave their posts during long sieges.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 28, 2009, 05:37:36 am »

I like the second picture, it looks like some sort of industrial facility.

NEW VERSION RELEASED!(only three weeks late)
Get it here:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1272
Changes:
- Pixel shaders no longer required, plus other fixes. If you had problems running it before please try again now. Shaders can also be disabled in the .ini file if you experience visual anomalies.
- 40d-14 support
- Now displays buildings. Currently this is limited to chairs, tables, windows, bridges (these only appear lowered) and statues. Paved roads are in but I discovered they caused a crash so I've disabled them in the config files. I'll fix this next update.
 More buildings can be added very easily, all I need is the models!
- Material colors are now read from DF memory, so it should work with any modded versions. Some materials may still appear in slightly odd colors, this is because I only use one colour but DF uses two and sometimes I pick the wrong one. If you find any report them.
- Fortifications with stuff above them are rendered as walls with arrow slits. Looks much better this way.
- Added basic lighting controls.
- Many other minor fixes.

Known issues:
- When running without shaders windows don't appear transparent, and glass windows don't appear at all. Sorry, I'll see if I can fix this.
- I've broken the preset cameras somehow.

Thanks to Japa, LordZorintrhox and EvilTwin for contributing models to this release!

I'm away from tonight until Monday but there'll be a bugfix release sometime next week.

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:44:01 am by Baboonanza »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2009, 05:47:06 am »

yay!

testing ASAP
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 90