Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325534 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #285 on: August 24, 2009, 07:02:57 pm »

bug report:
Operation system - Vista Home Premium (yes, i know... but it was pre-installed on my laptop :( )
Graphics card & VRAM size - GeForce 9600 M GT with 1 GB VRAM
VisualFortress.log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A description of what you were doing at the time:
i was browsing this forum, and had a windows explorer window opened

If the crash is during map reading or geometry creation I will also need a copy of the save/map in question - if you really need it i can upload it, but im kinda lazy ass :D

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 25, 2009, 02:50:31 am »

bug report:
Operation system - Vista Home Premium (yes, i know... but it was pre-installed on my laptop :( )
VisualFortress.log:

If the crash is during map reading or geometry creation I will also need a copy of the save/map in question - if you really need it i can upload it, but im kinda lazy ass :D
Did you only try it more than once? If it consistently crashes on that map and not another map then I'll definitely need a copy of the map to fix it.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:40 am »

On a side-note though, from the screenshots shared in this thread, it looks like everyone but me has been building their forts outdoors rather than digging them into mountainsides/hillsides. Why is this? Or is my impression somehow mistaken? (Some awesomely fun architecture out there though!)

(...)
The following is a dwarf's-eye view of the entrance hall (covered in marble).
(...)

I am working on something similar actually. The whole fortress will be a one huge multi-z-level hall with columns, and all rooms and workshops will be located around it on various levels.

Preview:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2uy6mg6.png 

This is the most bottom level, here will be located all the workshops, stockpiles, trade depot and a dining hall. The central area is 8-10 z-levels high, while the rest is 4-6 z-levels high (the roof is not flat). Most of digging is done but there is still a lot of work to do (including clearing all that stone ;)) The square area at the bottom of the image is going to become epic dining hall, with engravings on all z-levels. There will be entrance tunnel for caravans with lots of fun stuff in it to kill incoming invaders in the most fun and dwarven way. ;)

I hope this wasn't much of a derail either even if it didn't contain actual screenshots from Visual Fortress.

Unfortunately I can't get it to work. I am getting "Unable to load terrain material" error I mentioned earlier in this thread. Any chance of fixing it before the next release? Any way I could help with debugging it?
I would love to see my fort in 3D when I finish.
Tbh I have already made a model of it in Wings3D before I started any digging but it is not the same as my model is just a bunch of gray cubes. ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:08:00 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:46 am »

Unfortunately I've never been quite sure what causes that error, but I'll do my best.

bug report:
VisualFortress.log:

I didn't look closely enough at the log last time, so I missed that you'd abbreviated all of the geo info errors. I'm pretty certain that the problem is that the d11 memory format is wrong.

To fix it replace the contents of the 'Data\v0_28_181_40d11_win.xml' with this:

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »

seems as it worked, though i cant control it, because i lost my site to dwarven intelligence and the reclaim crew... ::)

it think someone will render it for you, if not, i'll do that

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:19 pm »

it think someone will render it for you, if not, i'll do that

Actually I was planning to ask for it when I finish. ;)
But there is still a lot to be done and it takes so loooong.
Thank you for your proposal of help, I will let you know when I find it right time for some screenshots. :)

Ps. 3Ddwarf doesn't work either for me, one frame takes like 30 seconds to show which makes it unusable. It worked some time ago, no idea what happened with it, same thing on every fort I load.
There is Lifevis too which is nice, but still none of them is as epic as Visual Fortress. ;]
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #291 on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:14 pm »

My fort, with incomplete entrance gates.
The road goes up and through the small peak and into the plateau behind it. That mountain is so big the lowest level of my fortress, the metal smithy, is at ground level.

I also join the 'Fortifications-Are-More-Like-Arrow-Slots' crowd.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 25, 2009, 06:48:51 pm »

I'd say, if it has anything above it, it's a wall with a slit, open air and it's crenals.

How's progress coming along, Baboonanza?  Still haven't gotten it working for d14?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 25, 2009, 08:21:35 pm »

I'd say, if it has anything above it, it's a wall with a slit, open air and it's crenals.

That seems best to me. Makes the most sense and I think it'll look the best.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

Wonderful work on this... its the most aesthetically pleasing 3D Visualizer I've seen yet, and the features are top notch. It's a pity I'm running a computer that struggles to render the visuals, as it's really quite beautiful!

Some day, I'd like to see this project used to visualize Dwarf Fortress in real time, as LifeVis has... perhaps even by passing simple keyboard commands back to the main program (as other utilities have done), one could create a viable 3D GUI for DF that may finally help the ASCII impaired masses get into the game, and help support Toady's efforts!

As a suggestion, have you considered using dynamic textures for surfaces, to help smooth the boarders between Tile types? Instead of using a static texture for the surfaces of all tiles, you could use "edge" textures on the sides where a tile of one type (say "Grassy Loam") meets a tile of another type (say "Loam"). Something similar to what was been used in 2D tile based RPGs of the SNES era may work well, if adapted for all surfaces of a tile-cube:

(A 2D Example)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2009, 10:20:42 pm »

Why not have a series of options regarding that?

You know, in case anyone wants the wall with slit even when exposed, and others want crenels even if there's something above it?

After all, it would keep people making megaprojects, viewable best with this, without having to compromise the aesthetics.

For future conflicts, why not provide an additional option to allow options?

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »

Why not have a series of options regarding that?

You know, in case anyone wants the wall with slit even when exposed, and others want crenels even if there's something above it?

After all, it would keep people making megaprojects, viewable best with this, without having to compromise the aesthetics.

For future conflicts, why not provide an additional option to allow options?

I think once the models/textures start rolling in a few models of the same tiles will be available.  A nice init setting/option menue that allows you to pick specific textures to load would be nice.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:23 pm »

It would be nice to have a basic/mid-level/hi-res option set.

Obviously, the HR set would be a resource hog, but that's why we have the less intense options. Kinda reminds me of Terragen using that method.

As an alternative/secondary option, we can use LODs (Levels Of Detail). That can optimize performance, especially for the higher-quality textures/models.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »

whatever the decision it needs to look good with both, the only proplem now is when you have things above the fortifications and no walls on the side, when their are walls on either end it looks fine.

one Idea for a change would be multiple arrow slits that go all the way to the top of the cube, that way when you have nothing above the fortification it will look sort of like a castle wall, when their are constructions or walls above the fortifications they look like murder holes.

corhen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Google Site (WIP)
« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2009, 01:54:14 am »

first of all, THAT DAM, OH MY GOD, THAT DAM

second of all, Love the program, a large step up from 3dward or LifeVis...

i look forward to seeing the models in soon,

Any ETA of the next version, that is, the one with models?
Now I need to build a wooden ship with waterwheels at the side and an iron cannon, i mean screwpump, at the front...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 90