Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325537 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2009, 11:55:35 am »

I'm happy to say that this also works great in adventure mode.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2009, 01:45:28 pm »

I love this, I can't wait to see the next release. That and the 3D furniture is really looking nice. Good job, guys!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2009, 02:05:09 pm »

Hmmm, I'm having trouble getting colors to show up at all. Everything is just black (although I can see the little trees and shurbs sticking out into the grayness of space). Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (I'm using a heavily modified game of Civ Forge + Legendary Lands + my own stuff, if that makes a difference)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »

Really?  how does it determine the bounds of the collection of data?  Does this mean you could render out any part of the world by fast traveling there and running the visualizer?  (again, what kind of range are we talking here... could I render a whole mountain if I had the CPU cajones for it?)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2009, 04:54:34 pm »

Seriously, though.  We all need a way to have this export it's renderings into an FPS map.  Use the cube engine, source engine, an id engine, I don't care.  I want to run around and shoot stuff in my fort!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2009, 06:24:40 pm »

I like the controls for this.  It's like morrowind, only you hold down the left mouse button and there's no gravity.

How does this determine color, anyway?  Does it read the raws?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2009, 07:52:18 pm »

How does this determine color, anyway?  Does it read the raws?
It must, because it renders my green-colored modded-in stone in green, even when the game itself does not (???)
Though it then colors the gypsum wrong.  I don't understand that.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:54:45 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »

allright, there is an issue with the way ice is shown above ground. 

in the following photo:

both of these objects are the exact same material, but they show up differently.  the one on the right is a stairway through the ice, while the one on the left is made out of ice. However, it shows up as brick, possibly due to the games memory showing the object as a "rough water wall"

in addition, the program crashes whenever i try to load a map containing an ice layer and the "ignore snow" Option is checked.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1343

her'es the game save i'm using

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 15, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »

I guess that's just another reason to make ice walls via bucket brigade (until it's fixed).  Plus, it's fun having walls that melt when a dragon attacks.  Fun in the DF sense, of course.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2009, 05:40:16 am »

Somebody please post more screenshots!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:05 am »

Really?  how does it determine the bounds of the collection of data?  Does this mean you could render out any part of the world by fast traveling there and running the visualizer?  (again, what kind of range are we talking here... could I render a whole mountain if I had the CPU cajones for it?)
Somebody please post more screenshots!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

when in adventure mode, it takes a 21x21 area around you, so no visualizing epic mountain ranges.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:23 am »

when in adventure mode, it takes a 21x21 area around you, so no visualizing epic mountain ranges.
Was just thinking how cool it could be to have a live memory scanner that works like LifeVis running while out adventuring around so you could see the 3D world as you walked.  The only unfortunate downside to that is how much food and water you'd have to carry to just go venture into the woods.  Every time I try to walk from one point to another, I usually end up dieing where quick travel doesn't seem to use up supplies.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:16 pm »

New version of 40d OpenGL today.  I can confirm that Visualizer does NOT work with it as is.  Too bad Baboonanza seems to have disappeared a little bit.  Ahh well.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2009, 03:17:04 am »

Too bad Baboonanza seems to have disappeared a little bit.  Ahh well.
I've just been on holiday. I was off in the west coast of Scotland and didn't even have cell/mobile reception so I've been completely offline. The landscape up there is very inspirational.

The snow/ice problems should be fixed for the next release. It's taking a little bit longer than I'd hoped but I'll get it out as soon as I'm able.

I'll update for the new OpenGL version before that though.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2009, 04:40:05 am »

Are there any chances to make a version, which would not require shaders?

I just want to see my fort... Or, maybe anyone is willing to render it for me?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 90