Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325543 times)

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:14 pm »

Is the sourcecode available? I'd like to take a look at implementing first-person walking, you don't have to actually code real physical movement, thats more for ultimate convienence. You could move on a pseudo tile-by-tile node basis. With rough-versus-smooth offset using the previous heightmap you used could be used to offset from the height of the tile.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2009, 09:34:58 pm »

You could have "snap camera to floor" and "aligh camera to grid" options, which would make a psudo-1st person experience.

Also, water should be solid, translucent blocks.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

tehmeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2009, 10:59:31 am »

It works fine on linux using WINE for me, looking amazing.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2009, 11:10:15 am »

It works fine on linux using WINE for me, looking amazing.
I haven't tried Wine recently... but are you running the new Linux client with Visual Fortress under Wine or are you running both DF and VF under Wine?  (I haven't tried memory reading across Wine so I don't even know if it's possible...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

tehmeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2009, 11:33:09 am »

I haven't tried Wine recently... but are you running the new Linux client with Visual Fortress under Wine or are you running both DF and VF under Wine?  (I haven't tried memory reading across Wine so I don't even know if it's possible...)
This is using the SDL windows version emulated through WINE, it doesn't pick up that the SDL linux version is open.  The only thing I needed to do to get it running was install arial for WINE.

I'm assuming this is what it looks like running on Windows (using stranded! community fort save)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress Wiki page
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »

This app is fantastic, has been running for me the past few days without issue no matter what fort I throw at it.

Stuff I'd like to see is about the same as others. Outline/Grid feature, level transparency, item model support, perhaps a 1st person mode.

Great work, keep it up! I've mainly been using it to get a better perspective of the Z levels when picking sites, as well as cheating to locate all the hidden goodies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:33:36 pm by kein »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2009, 09:39:44 pm »

Any chance of getting it to work with 11d?  My laptop dislikes 13d.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2009, 09:57:21 pm »

40d, 40d11, and 40d13 all work, I've tried it with all three, on account of having different maps in each folder.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »

It acts strange with Maydays mod though and says that it can't detect the version and then after a bit it works.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2009, 10:14:55 pm »

40d, 40d11, and 40d13 all work, I've tried it with all three, on account of having different maps in each folder.

Hmm...I've yet to get it to work with 40d11. It always fails saying that it can't detect a supported version of Dwarf Fortress. Maybe I'll try downloading a new new copy. Maybe I just have an older version.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2009, 10:23:51 pm »

Hmm...I've yet to get it to work with 40d11. It always fails saying that it can't detect a supported version of Dwarf Fortress. Maybe I'll try downloading a new new copy. Maybe I just have an older version.

It may be similar to the problem I'm having. It happens sometimes and there is no obvious connection as to why it's doing this. At least after I move around ingame or something it works again.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:31 pm »

Well, it at least can, I just got a screen of my latest megaproject from d11 with it. But, some people seem to have random success with it. I'm running vista on a dual core, and haven't had any trouble, nor have I done anything special to make it work. :/
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2009, 10:59:06 pm »

Ok, looks like I had v.7 and needed v.701. That worked ok, although my colors are all messed up.

For the person who said that it worked with CivForge, did you do anything special or did it work outright?

I'm getting Red as blue and Green as Yellow.
Come play Mafia with us!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2009, 02:03:37 am »

When I use this app, the soil is all missing. Does anybody else have this problem? Besides that, I enjoyed walking the halls of my fortress.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2009, 11:25:31 am »

All the colors looked perfectly fine without any tweaking.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90