Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325510 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »

If we modeled the statues after the Ω symbol, it might make it easier to deal with directional issues.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2009, 04:36:15 am »

Posting in thread for great justice, and to keep it on my new replies list until I get a GLshader whatsamahoosit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2009, 06:35:56 am »

The colors work fine with Civilization Forge.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2009, 07:30:28 pm »

Hows the next version coming along?  Loving the current one! 

Oh, has anyone else had the problem with the movement being a little jerky, as I mentioned earlier?  Just curious.

A few pics of my current fortress, which unfortunately doesn't have anything very interesting outdoors...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2009, 08:30:54 pm »

Aye, can't wait for the next coming version myself.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2009, 08:19:09 pm »

I have one suggestion for this visualizer: Have an option to change the texture of microcline/orthoclase/other colored rocks to granite colored (or any other grey rock for that matter). The only thing worse than a big microcline dining room is a big 3D microcline dining room... At least in dwarf fortress you are picturing your fortress in your head and so you can choose to ignore the fact that half of it is made of microcline. With visualizer it turns into bright blue and yellow fortress, really killing the otherwise awesome look of the place.

Also, if there is already a way to easily do this, someone please tell me. ;)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2009, 02:04:33 am »

I noticed that when a hallway has unrevealed stone above it, no roof is drawn.

Also, it'd be cool to have a mode where you walk can through the fort in a 3rd 1st person view, sort of like what you have now, but with noclip off :P.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:47:59 pm by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2009, 08:54:37 am »

My roofs show. When you start visualizer, check the box that asks to reveal hidden tiles and it will show them. Also note that it also shows any hidden features, so dont use it if you don't want to see those.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2009, 12:35:59 pm »

Also, it'd be cool to have a mode where you walk can through the fort in a 3rd person view, sort of like what you have now, but with noclip off :P.

You probably mean 1st person view. And yep, I agree... noclip off, and basic commands to walk and jump a bit around, it'll be nice.

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2009, 01:21:57 pm »

That would require calculating a collision mesh for each surface. In the more complicated forts, the triangle count could go thru the roof.

Not that I'm apposing the idea, a 3rd person dwarf engine would be awesome. I could donate some of my models or animations to that project if needed.
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »

Maybe just have a temporary 1st person mode where you only collide with floors, walls, and ceilings.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:27 pm »

Maybe just have a temporary 1st person mode where you only collide with floors, walls, and ceilings.
Collision in the game is virtually non-existent anyway.  Dwarfs run through each other all the time.  You'd only need to calculate collision based on the existence of "stuff" in the tile you are moving into.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2009, 02:45:50 pm »

Collision in the game is virtually non-existent anyway.  Dwarfs run through each other all the time.

Well actually they detect it, that's why one of the dwarves prone when he encounter another dwarf on the same tile.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2009, 03:04:20 pm »

Let's invent the wheel before we attempt the automobile, shall we? After all, we still don't even have bridges showing up.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2009, 03:30:32 pm »

Collision in the game is virtually non-existent anyway.  Dwarfs run through each other all the time.

Well actually they detect it, that's why one of the dwarves prone when he encounter another dwarf on the same tile.
Right, but the don't do some arbitrary collision mesh to determine that.  if (tile.has("Dwarf")) { prone(); }  The first person walk through only has to have primitive collision detection to work.  There's no need to make it complicated.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 90