Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How would you start?  (Read 2002 times)

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How would you start?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 06:35:14 pm »

I SAID THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD ON THIS!! GO REVIVE IT

Jawohl, Mein Kommandant!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:53 pm »

*smokes* Yeah you friggin kraut, revive it.
Day before D-Day
HEY KRAUT GIVE ME YOUR GUN.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

I SAID THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD ON THIS!! GO REVIVE IT

No.  :)

Also- Farming really isn't that great. My fortress normally maintains 6,000 food later on, and that just rises. I can buy just about everything I need sense I get a kings ransom in money from legendary stone mugs. Especially if it's made from obsidian.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:57:39 pm by zarmazarma »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:50 pm »

LISTEN TO MY ORDER OR I WILL REVIVE IT AGAIN

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »

Recently I've gone with this configuration:

Miner/Leader set
Miner/Siege engineer (It's a pain to raise SE)
Mason/Mechanic x2 (I always start at spots where I need to pump magma/water)
Farmer/Brewer
Stonecrafter/Blacksmith (Cooking wealth is cheap and bugged IMO. Blacksmithing is a pain to raise)
Carpenter/Woodcutter (I really haven't had the conflict you guys are having with this combo)

25 of each seed, 10 turtles and 10 lobster, 4 dogs, 1 cat (more than enough for vermin and no catsplosion), 2 or 3 cows, rope, lots of booze and shrooms, a bunch of leather for armor, and all the needed tools except an anvil (by the time I need one the caravan always comes). I used to to start with 20 bauxite until I got the Molten Rocks mod, which I highly recommend.

LISTEN TO MY ORDER OR I WILL REVIVE IT AGAIN

I think we should get rid of this forum completely and just combine EVERYTHING into one giant super topic  ::)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 10:49:52 pm »

*rips off dragons head* shut up please

Brodiggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:15 pm »

You know, it may have drifted a bit into a generic starting build thread, but if you glance back at the original post Phantom, this thread does indeed pose a unique question that is distinct from the starting build thread you're harassing everyone about. Namely, "Given this specific terrain/mods/situation, what starting build would you use?"

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:12 am »

Phantom, please stop trolling the thread.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 01:26:56 am »

Phantom, please stop trolling the thread.

I reported his post, hopefully it'll get cleaned up and he'll finally shut his fu dwarfing mouth.

I've had bad experiances with farming. When I had farming as my only source of good, all my dwarves ended up starving to death. That was using the tutorial on youtube, which is a bit flawed. It was like I couldn't make enough food in time, or I didn't have enough seeds.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:29:27 am by zarmazarma »

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:29 am »

*Accidentally posted instead of modified.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 07:52:04 am »

I usually start as follows:

Dwarves:
2x Miners - I like to have my fortress dug out very quickly, and two miners will certainly accomplish that.
1x Woodcutter/Carpenter - Can't make beds without him!  I used to make my woodcutter a hunter, too, but I found that I just disable hunting until I have enough dwarves to support a butcher, tanner, and leather worker... and if I'm going to wait that long, why take it at embark?
1x Mason - You always need a mason.  Well... at least until you've furnished your population cap's worth of bedrooms.
1x Brewer/Cook - I don't do much cooking in my first year, but I like to combine the two anyway.  My brewer might also be a stonecrafter, so I can pump out doors WHILE I pump out mugs in between the carpenter making enough barrels for booze and plump helmets.
1x Administrator - I like to have my stocks at highest precision all the time, and I don't want my bookkeeper wasting time on anything other than hauling and talking to caravan leaders.  So I wrap it all into one.  It's like having a hauler with a lot of extra duties.
1x Grower - I always do some farming, and one grower is plenty for at least your first year.

Gear:
No Anvil.
6 seeds of each UG plant.  Even if I don't plant some types the first year, I don't like having to trade for seeds later.
2 picks for the miners
1 axe for the woodcutter
2-4 Cows, mostly because they're the only creature that I can tell the gender of when I assign them to a chain.  Since you only need one uncaged male animal, it's nice to easily tell if you're tying up the right one.
1-2 Hunting Dogs
1-2 War Dogs
4-6 pig tail ropes
2 cages (usually one copper, one zinc, to tell them apart.  One of these is for the otherwise free dogs, like pups, the other is for anything I plan to butcher)
A few pig tail bags, because without them my food stockpiles fill up with seeds within a season or two.
5-10 Turtles
5-10 Cave Lobster
A smattering of beer.
Around 10-15 Plump Helmets

I spend the rest of my embark points on spare barrels, bags, and improving my Dwarf skills, which I initially buy at very low levels.

I forego the anvil, of course, because without it I'd never get my meat industry up and running without the "what if" of trade, and I can't STAND the metal industry without magma.  It takes me time to feel comfortable channeling magma through my fort, time I spend doing other things which will, in short order, allow me to afford an anvil that will certainly come before I truly need it.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 09:42:53 am »

I can't imagine how you can stand to embark without an anvil. I *never* worry about the whatif of trade. Makes everything much simpler.

I used to be like this, but then I took a look at what 1000 pts will buy you.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 10:28:13 am »

Carpenter/Woodcutter is only a problem if you are doing massive deforestation WHILE you absolutely positively must now build wood items.

Otherwise the process is simple...

-disable all hauling on carpenter/woodcutter
-cancel all carpentry tasks
-Deforest large area very quickly. A legendary woodcutter can basically just walk up to a tree down it almost instantly, and move on. Let him tear a path of destruction through your forest and have the haulers take care of some of the wood as he does this.
-Queue up jobs from the carpentry shop as the haulers bring the wood in the carpenter will use it. Worst case he goes and gets a piece from outside saving a hauler from having to bring it in.

I never really have problems with my woodcutter being a carpenter.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 06:26:22 pm »

i usually take

miner/novice engraver
miner/novice engraver
prof woodcutter/prof caprenter
prof mason/lvl 3 engraver/novice architect/novice mechanic
prof wearonsmith/prof furnace operator
prof grower/prof herbalist
prof cook/ lvl 3 brewer/novice judge of intent/novice appraiser

GEAR:

1 anvil
1 battleaxe
2 picks
60 booze
10 turtle
10 meat
10 plump helmet
30 plump spawn
20 sweet pods
20 pig tails
20 cave wheat
4 dogs
1-2 cats
no coal/lignite if magma is present with no flux

this keeps me going for a while but usually i mine out soil pretty quickly for the farms
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Pages: 1 [2]