Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big bed rooms?  (Read 1247 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big bed rooms?
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:06:44 am »

So I have decided to make an aboveground fort made out of cast obsidian, and I am wondering how big to make my dwarfs rooms. Normally I would use three by three rooms but seeing as they will be made out of obsidian I worry that my dwarfs will not be able to afford their rooms. So do you guys think I should use three by three or something else? (I was thinking of two by two.)

Here are two designs I drew up, any comments?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Big bed rooms?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:16:38 am »

I think the garbly bits in the lower one are wasted space, bit if you're running 40d13 space probably isn't a problem. it does look nice though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:36:57 am »

I always make a huge variety of rooms.  Something like 100-150 1x2 rooms, and about 100 3x3 or bigger.

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:16:09 am »

Personally, I turn off rent so that I can make my whole fort a paradise...  Otherwise I find myself doing that anyway, and none of my dwarves can afford rent when the time comes. 
Well I've finally found a signature

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:44 am »

1 5x5 or 3 3x3 rooms are given to all dwarves in my fortress, except the scum who are forced to endure the torture of sleeping in my royal quality barracks. I know, I'm such a bastard to the little people.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:57:07 am »

Can you turn off rent partway in or do you need to do it at worldgen?  My non-legendary dwarves must waste all their money on pigtail socks or something, since they can never afford anything but a 1 square bedroom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »

Can you turn off rent partway in or do you need to do it at worldgen?  My non-legendary dwarves must waste all their money on pigtail socks or something, since they can never afford anything but a 1 square bedroom.

You can turn on ZERO_RENT in init.txt midgame and it'll take effect as soon as you save+exit and restart.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »

I use 3x3 rooms myself. Every dwarf, even peasants and children, gets a 3x3 room. Nobles of course get bigger rooms, and my legendary jewelers and metal workers all get their own custom, big room.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:07 pm »

Personally, I turn off rent so that I can make my whole fort a paradise...  Otherwise I find myself doing that anyway, and none of my dwarves can afford rent when the time comes. 

Heh, this. I always use a boring hall structure with legendary-engraved 2x2 rooms. Don't usually bother myself with furniture.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:04:09 pm »

So I have decided to make an aboveground fort made out of cast obsidian, and I am wondering how big to make my dwarfs rooms. Normally I would use three by three rooms but seeing as they will be made out of obsidian I worry that my dwarfs will not be able to afford their rooms. So do you guys think I should use three by three or something else? (I was thinking of two by two.)

Here are two designs I drew up, any comments?

What program did you do that in?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 01:08:58 am »

Paint, the free program that comes with windows at least. 800% zoom with grids. Then I used snip to cut out the parts I want.