Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure Plates  (Read 916 times)

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure Plates
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:51:56 pm »

So I've built an adding machine (will be posted later). During the construction of said adding machine, I noticed that when I attached some bridges for a more readable format, the computation slowed down. A lot.

Do pressure plates have a delay that depends on what they are attached to? That's kind of weird but it makes some kind of sense.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Plates
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:15:52 pm »

Pressure plates don't (to my knowledge) but bridges have a 100-tick delay between when they're triggered, and when they actually respond.

see: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Bridge
(it's in the bottom section, right near the bottom of the text period, so I don't blame you for missing it)

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

Pressure plates don't (to my knowledge) but bridges have a 100-tick delay between when they're triggered, and when they actually respond.

see: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Bridge
(it's in the bottom section, right near the bottom of the text period, so I don't blame you for missing it)

From what I can tell, attaching a bridge/door/whatever to a pressure plate will slow any other devices attached to the pressure plate; For instance, a pressure plate -> Gear assembly is rather quick, but linking a bridge made the gear assembly toggle when the bridge changed position; not at the normal speed.

I'm just wondering if anyone else can duplicate/confirm that I'm not crazy.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:55:04 pm »

It makes sense that the overall activation time for a multi-linked lever or pressure plate would be the activation time of the slowest device in its linkage.

In other words: Bridges take time to lower, and everything else waits for them to lower to go off as well.

I'll get around to testing that for you as soon as I can though.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:36:40 am »

Not sure if the citation that a bridge will delay any other device attached to the same pressure plate is correct, and I can adamantly deny that for levers. Its a standard construction in my atom smasher to have a door and bridge attached to the same lever to utilize that delay: door closes, pause, bridge smashes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:19 am »

Not sure if the citation that a bridge will delay any other device attached to the same pressure plate is correct, and I can adamantly deny that for levers. Its a standard construction in my atom smasher to have a door and bridge attached to the same lever to utilize that delay: door closes, pause, bridge smashes.

Maybe the order in which you link them matters. I'm wondering if it goes down a list and waits for each to execute.

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:56 pm »

After further testing I've found that pressure plates do not slow down when a bridge is attached. They're just slow to deactivate.