Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure Plates  (Read 2082 times)

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure Plates
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:57:47 pm »

So I've built an adding machine (will be posted later). During the construction of said adding machine, I noticed that when I attached some bridges for a more readable format, the computation slowed down. A lot.

Do pressure plates have a delay that depends on what they are attached to? That's kind of weird but it makes some kind of sense.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Plates
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:04:07 pm »

According to the wiki, bridges and floodgates have a delay of 100 movement frames (so, for example, two seconds when your FPS is 100) when attached to a lever or pressure plate. Everything else, if I remember correctly, is instant or fairly close to it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:24:34 pm »

It seems like attaching bridges caused other machines attached to the same pressure plates to have the same delay; in this instance, Gear Assemblies.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:50:59 pm »

Bridges, floodgates and wall/floor grates have a delay.
Doors, hatch covers, supports, gear assemblies are instant.

Additionally gear assemblies are the only thing that always change state when any lever / pressure plate connected to it is pulled one or the other way.
All other stuff works differently and if you connect 2 levers to it, and 'open' it with one lever then while it is opened try to 'open' it with another lever it will stay opened and close only if you pull one of the levers back.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:04:49 pm »

Bridges, floodgates and wall/floor grates have a delay.
Doors, hatch covers, supports, gear assemblies are instant.

Additionally gear assemblies are the only thing that always change state when any lever / pressure plate connected to it is pulled one or the other way.
All other stuff works differently and if you connect 2 levers to it, and 'open' it with one lever then while it is opened try to 'open' it with another lever it will stay opened and close only if you pull one of the levers back.

a Gear Assembly switches state really quickly; with a lever-pull it's an instantaneous switch. I noticed when I added a bridge, the gear assembly didn't toggle until the bridge changed, even though theoretically it should have switched and the bridge should have lagged before switching.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this same thing happen. I can think of a couple ways to engineer it to stop this delay from happening, but it'd make any outputs to my computer more complicated.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 01:37:53 pm »

The solution is: don't use bridges or anything with a delay, use mass doors or hatch covers for output.

I was once working on a "dwarven time machine" project as I called it. There was 4x7 screen made of 28 doors acting a pixels. It was meant to show successive digits 0->1->2->...->9 then repeat.
There was a counter made of 10 pumps in a circle that pumped one tile of water around, with 10 pressure plates between them, each showing another digit. There was a big cistern with pressurized water above, and a small cistern below, with towers of pumps draining the water back into the upper cistern. Cisterns were connected with 28 channels, one for each 'pixel'. Every channel had 10 'entrances' covered by 10 floodgates each opened with one of the digit pressure plates. Or not opened if that specific pixel wasn't active for that specific digit. So there was 280 floodgates total at the bottom of the upper cistern. Each of the 28 channels had one exit with a pressure plate in it, connected to one of the pixels. So if any of 10 floodgates allowed water flow in that channel, the corresponing pixel will show.

Hmm... At least that was the idea. I had everything planned how it should look like, but got bored with the project at quite an early stage. I may try it again after the next release, so at least I won't lose it to broken save compatibility, so future dwarven engineers could admire it. If only it is going to work, which i am not really sure about. ;)     

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:32 am »

Oh God...

I read the title of this topic as "Pleasure Plates"
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes