Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going below Z-16?  (Read 700 times)

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
Going below Z-16?
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:31:20 pm »

hi guys I was wondering about how to do below 16 zlevels on a flat area. Is there anything I have to do before I tunnel down there?

Edit: this question is based upon the wiki and the captnduck tuts. one says workshop cause sound upon 9 z-levels one says 4

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Going below Z-16?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:34:25 pm »

That's the bottom of the map. You can't go below it.

Likewise, you can't build higher than fifteen z-levels above the surface of the map.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:12 pm »

hi guys I was wondering about how to do below 16 zlevels on a flat area. Is there anything I have to do before I tunnel down there?

Edit: this question is based upon the wiki and the captnduck tuts. one says workshop cause sound upon 9 z-levels one says 4

On the sound issue, both are correct because different sounds have different distances. The loudest sound will reach 9 levels or tiles in all directions, so keep your bedrooms 9 tiles or z-levels away from any working areas.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »

Workshops produce sound throughout a radius of four tiles in all directions, up, down, north, south, east, and west. The result of this is a cube with an edge of length nine, with the workshop being the center.

So both are technically correct.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:58:15 pm »

Workshops produce sound throughout a radius of four tiles in all directions, up, down, north, south, east, and west. The result of this is a cube with an edge of length nine, with the workshop being the center.

So both are technically correct.

Ok new question:
1 THEN WHATS THE POINT OF TELLING ME THAT THERES 139 Z LEVELS
2 if I make a room to fill with magma and after I fill it I put water on it to make obsidian with the obsidian contain ore?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:34 pm »

Ok new question:
1 THEN WHATS THE POINT OF TELLING ME THAT THERES 139 Z LEVELS

No need to shout. Saying a map has 139 z-levels means that there is the top 15 of open air, the bottom 15 of underground, and then any number of z-levels that are a combination of the two. In your case, you have an enormous mountain, as base to summit is 109 levels.

2 if I make a room to fill with magma and after I fill it I put water on it to make obsidian with the obsidian contain ore?

No.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:47:22 pm »

No need to shout. Saying a map has 139 z-levels means that there is the top 15 of open air, the bottom 15 of underground, and then any number of z-levels that are a combination of the two. In your case, you have an enormous mountain, as base to summit is 109 levels.
This is kinda convoluted, so I'll try to clear up what jim means: the "level number" is related to sea-level. Even if there isn't sea in the map section you selected. It's global.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »

This is kinda convoluted, so I'll try to clear up what jim means: the "level number" is related to sea-level. Even if there isn't sea in the map section you selected. It's global.
Aha, I've always wondered about that, but just never bothered to care.