Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Raw reactions for Milk  (Read 1532 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Modding Raw reactions for Milk
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »

That's it.... Guess how many cheesemakers have immigrated to my place.... Answer, way too many. Currently that number is 12. 12! That is not counting the milkers. Currently we can't milk anything but purring maggots and I can't find those things anywhere. I have 20 pens full of roped cows; I'm pretty sure I have one and two humped camels running around someplace too.

Thus, I'm modding in reactions to make milk: dwarven milk, cow milk, 1 and 2 humped camel milk....

So currently I have this:

[REACTION:FREE_COW_MILK]
[NAME:make COW MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:COW]

[REACTION:FREE_2HUMP_MILK]
[NAME:make 2HUMP MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:CAMEL_2_HUMP]

[REACTION:FREE_1HUMP_MILK]
[NAME:make 1HUMP MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:CAMEL_1_HUMP]

[REACTION:FREE_DWARF_MILK]
[NAME:make DWARF MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:MAGGOT_PURRING]

It seems to work except I cant get my dwarves to put it into barrels. Is there a way to make it come in a container or get them to do that? Is this a problem with liquid items made in reactions?

Also, what would be a proper reagent to balance this? Is that needed? If you think about it, you milk cows every morning, so it's not that unbalancing to have it as is with how time flows in game. However, the potential for abuse is there as a mod.

Ideas, questions, comments, rants, objects thrown in my general direction?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Raw reactions for Milk
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:25:29 pm »

Have you checked that it is edible and cookable. Making it food will make your dwarves put it into barrels.

I think
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:01 pm »

Unfortunately, nothing that needs a container can be made at the forge, all it does is spill when it's made.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »

Your solution might be to try micro-cows. I've not tested this yet so I don't know if it will work correctly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course that requires a regen, however I'm sure you can edit the entry for the existing cows to make them vermin sized which should allow them to be milked.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:46:42 am »

That's it.... Guess how many cheesemakers have immigrated to my place.... Answer, way too many. Currently that number is 12. 12! That is not counting the milkers. Currently we can't milk anything but purring maggots and I can't find those things anywhere. I have 20 pens full of roped cows; I'm pretty sure I have one and two humped camels running around someplace too.

Thus, I'm modding in reactions to make milk: dwarven milk, cow milk, 1 and 2 humped camel milk....

So currently I have this:

[REACTION:FREE_COW_MILK]
[NAME:make COW MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:COW]

[REACTION:FREE_2HUMP_MILK]
[NAME:make 2HUMP MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:CAMEL_2_HUMP]

[REACTION:FREE_1HUMP_MILK]
[NAME:make 1HUMP MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:CAMEL_1_HUMP]

[REACTION:FREE_DWARF_MILK]
[NAME:make DWARF MILK]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:EXTRACT:NONE:CREATURE:MAGGOT_PURRING]

It seems to work except I cant get my dwarves to put it into barrels. Is there a way to make it come in a container or get them to do that? Is this a problem with liquid items made in reactions?

Also, what would be a proper reagent to balance this? Is that needed? If you think about it, you milk cows every morning, so it's not that unbalancing to have it as is with how time flows in game. However, the potential for abuse is there as a mod.

Ideas, questions, comments, rants, objects thrown in my general direction?
Trading a few plants of some sort would be a good reagent.

Yeah, there's issues with creating liquid in smelter reactions.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:23:43 am »

Your solution might be to try micro-cows. I've not tested this yet so I don't know if it will work correctly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course that requires a regen, however I'm sure you can edit the entry for the existing cows to make them vermin sized which should allow them to be milked.

And with the next version, you can have each cow spit out 99 microcows and a calf every time it breeds.