Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exotic pet adoption  (Read 1714 times)

Brhino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
exotic pet adoption
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »

I got a tame leopard from the elves, which I figured would make a pretty badass pet for one of my dwarves.  I let him out of his cage and set his status as "available".  It's been over two years, and no-one has adopted him.  He just hangs around the meeting areas.  Several kittens I couldn't slaughter fast enough have been adopted during that time.  Is this just random luck not panning out, or is there some trick to exotic pets I'm missing?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: exotic pet adoption
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:22:19 pm »

It seems that animals are only adopted by dwarves who like them. In your case, there must not have been a dwarf that likes leopards, or he didn't have enough money.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Brhino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:32:14 pm »

I have the economy turned off, so money should not be an issue.  regarding dwarven likes or dislikes, the wiki states:

"Available large animals may be adopted by any dwarf, but tame vermin will only be adopted by dwarves who like that animal."

But perhaps this is incorrect.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »

Maybe. It wouldn't be the first time the wiki has been woefully wrong on something. I'd be willing to bet that only dwarves that have a preference for a particular type of animal will be the ones that adopt them, unless somebody can confirm otherwise.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 04:56:16 pm »

I'm fairly sure they need a preference for an animal to adopt them, with the exceptions being assigned war/hunting dogs.

I have never seen any dwarves adopt a mountain goat, wolf, fox, or anything other then the usual cows/donkeys/horses/dogs. The same goes for vermin, but with vermin they tend to like them better as food then as pet.

Cats adopt dwarves, I'm not sure if the cats have preferences for dwarves.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 06:45:53 pm »

Dwarves will only adopt animals they like.

Some animals are just incredibly unpopular. I keep all large animals confined in the bone farm to save on FPS though.

In my fortress I have maybe 30 tiny, tame, and available pets. The only two adopted are the two hedgehogs, both adopted by my mason.

They sit on his left and right shoulders.  :D

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »

The leopard and foxes I had stayed unadopted until they got old and died.  A lot of my horses and donkeys get adopted as lots of my dwarves have preferences for them.

The one milker adopted two tamed purring maggots  ::)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:52:46 am »

Cats adopt dwarves, I'm not sure if the cats have preferences for dwarves.

Oddly enough, I've only seen cats adopt dwarves who like cats for their aloofness. I think Toady used the generic adoption behaviors for cats, they're just set to adoptable by default and have different status/adoption messages.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:21:35 am »

The leopard and foxes I had stayed unadopted until they got old and died.  A lot of my horses and donkeys get adopted as lots of my dwarves have preferences for them.

The one milker adopted two tamed purring maggots  ::)

Animals die of old age? That's a new one for me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »

Almost everything will die of old age, including dwarves.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:51:08 pm »

Yep, I'm 20 years in.  Plenty of cats and dogs have died of old age.  Also a raccoon, a leopard, a fox, and I forget what all else.

I haven't seen a draft animal die of old age yet.

Brhino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »

Almost everything will die of old age, including dwarves.

how long do dwarves live?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 03:37:54 pm »

150 to 170 years, if I remember correctly.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:58:00 pm »

They will also have a random age when you start the fortress. This is why sometimes a diplomat will die for no apparent reason when he comes to visit your fort. Old age finally caught up to him.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 04:15:04 pm »

There's also a POSSIBILITY that dwarves will adopt [COMMON_DOMESTIC] animals sometimes even if they don't have a preference for them.

This might not be true, but is worth looking into.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==