Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whip vine brewing  (Read 544 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Whip vine brewing
« on: July 28, 2009, 01:48:19 pm »

New DF player here. Great game, and I've not even had migrants yet. Question, I built a still, have a brewer, in the same room between my still and food supply, I have another food supply with just Whip Vine in it. Except the brewer keeps walking over it and obtaining another plant instead. Farther walk, and brewing plants my dwarfs could eat, instead of worthless Whip Vines. Why is this?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whip vine brewing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:49:37 pm »

Well, if you hit Z and go to Kitchen, you can turn off the brewing of the other plants you have. This way the dwarves will try to use the whip vine to brew with.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:55:34 pm »

Ah, thanks! Why though, would they skip it to begin with? This could be similar to anything, if I want stonecrafts made with a certain stone, would they just skip right on over the closest stone?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:17:52 pm »

Stonecrafting will use the closest rocks possible. Generally, you'll have to use stockpiling or creative workshop citing if you want to specifically have cinnabar mugs for poisoning the elves with, or to convert the very bones of the earth into trinkets for the humans.

This can also be exploited to clear huge swathes of space.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »

Thanks again! Another question, general topic... is there a downside to just leaving the skin at the butcher, which is right next to the tanner, and leave the tanned skins there, next to the leatherworker? Any need for stockpiles? Clutter do anything to the dwarfs?

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Clutter ... nevermind
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:44:35 pm by Brewster »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:45:25 pm »

Thanks again! Another question, general topic... is there a downside to just leaving the skin at the butcher, which is right next to the tanner, and leave the tanned skins there, next to the leatherworker? Any need for stockpiles? Clutter do anything to the dwarfs?

It can indeed be convenient to not have a refuse stockpile that accepts fresh skins, as that way they can immediately be tasked for tanning. Tanned skins, though, are (prepared) leather, and you'll definitely want a stockpile for those just as you'd want a stockpile for cloth. Clutter in workshops makes dwarfs work more slowly, and if you're tanning skins, then time is important since you don't want them to rot.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:47:04 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 02:47:46 pm »

Thanks again everyone. Really helpful group of players here. I forsee DF in my future a long time. Ha. Darn you Capt. Duck and having me stumble on your videos on YouTube!!