Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A soldier of mine has been lying in his bed with a yellow injury for very long.  (Read 511 times)

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meet Feb Depthlashes, the first soldier, captain of the only squad in the fortress of Blizzardanus, and seems to be the laziest/wussiest dwarf in the fortress to boot.
Feb's arm was mangled in during sparring in a fight and lay in bed for a few seasons until his arm eventually turned yellow, all the while his dwarves had been standing dutifully beside him as I was sure he would recover fairly soon, what with his "extremely tough" rating and whatnot.
Unfortunately, Feb's been lying there unconcious since about the second migration, which may even be years ago. I don't keep track of time all that well, but I know it's been a long time.
In the time that he has lain in bed, my fortress has been adequately defended by cage traps and has now gained a mayor.
I've heard that some injuries never recover. In this case, would it be wiser to deactivate this gentleman and get a new commander and just leave him for the next few centuries until the goblins overwhelm us?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:11:22 pm by Mightymuffin »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Be patient. He'll heal eventually. In the meantime, promote somebody else to be the commander of the squad, or if that's not an option, form a new squad.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be patient. He'll heal eventually. In the meantime, promote somebody else to be the commander of the squad, or if that's not an option, form a new squad.
I sincerely hope so. I think I'll deactivate him for now and hope that one day he'll recover, in the mean time I'll put one of the other squadmates in charge. There's a lot of babies kicking about the fortress so they'll fuel my armed force soon enough.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soon?  Um....no.  DF considers children to be between the ages of two and twelve.  You'll be waiting a good long time for them to grow up...in that time you have to fend off child snatchers and sieges.  See Children in the wiki.

Best case, it'll take awhile before you get your child army up.  Worst case, which is FAR more likely, considering this is DF, is that you have Fun first.

Also, serious wounds have a random chance of healing at season changes.  Just be patient.  He'll heal...hopefully.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Plus children tend to have MANY friends...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus children tend to have MANY friends...

Which just means that if one of those children die, then those friends can avenge their deaths most justly...

...with the blood of dwarves..

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soon?  Um....no.  DF considers children to be between the ages of two and twelve.  You'll be waiting a good long time for them to grow up...in that time you have to fend off child snatchers and sieges.  See Children in the wiki.

Best case, it'll take awhile before you get your child army up.  Worst case, which is FAR more likely, considering this is DF, is that you have Fun first.

Also, serious wounds have a random chance of healing at season changes.  Just be patient.  He'll heal...hopefully.
When I wrote soon enough, I was not speaking literally if you know what I mean. I simply threw it in, I'm aware they take a long time to grow up. And anyway, even though I've had a few brushes with fun lately I've been able to fend off the goblin ambushers with minimal injuries to my two defenders. I think I can keep this up until at least the next migration.

I decided to isolate the injured dwarf from the rest of his squad who are currently tending to their minor brain injuries, but at least they could fend off the goblins whilst Urist McWuss rests his broken arm.

I'm quite happy to say that this particular issue has been solved.

The good news is that Feb finally recovered and took part in the slaughter of many, many goblins during a small siege, with only one goblin escaping and the rest falling to the cage traps. Of course, he was not without help from 7 other dwarves and suffered from several injuries.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:53:38 pm by Mightymuffin »