Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me save two dwarves.  (Read 975 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Help me save two dwarves.
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:45:56 am »

I started a fort on this awesome place with flux, HFS, magma pipe, chasm and underground river some time ago, but i got a problem: No trees.

I bought all wood availiable on the first caravan, but i forgot to make buckets. Turns out two of my dwarves got broken bones due to a cave in while crafting the entrance of my epic fort.
I do have a bucket, and its being used in a temporary well. I decided to just make stairs and a pathway to the underground river so i can destroy the well and make my dwarves use the bucket to bring water from the underground river.
Turns out they still complain about having no empty buckets, even though the well has been destroyed already! I have designated the water source on the underground river, but nothing still D:.

Halp?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me save two dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:50:22 am »

you have magma, make metal buckets.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:51:51 am »

Ohhhh.
Right, i guess i was too obsessed with wood to notice i have heckloads of ore around and a working magma smelter and forge.
Maybe i'm turning into an elf.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:36 pm »

Maybe i'm turning into an elf.

:(

I'm obsessed with metalworking. To the point where I'm considering a metal-only fort. Not even food production, I'll rely on trade.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:03:08 pm »

They'll claim that there's no bucket available if the bucket is currently tasked for another job (like, say, being moved back to a furniture stockpile).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:29:39 pm »

You need a LOT of buckets to cope with wounded dorfs, in my experience.

And if you've got no wood, you'll need to mine a lot of cheap metals. My fort's mostly got copper bins and barrels, with a few wood ones I bought filled with cloth or leather, and a bunch from other plentiful metals.
Such as nickel, aluminium, and platinum. I'm virtually swimming in metal.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 04:06:45 pm »

My fort's mostly got copper bins and barrels,

...Now I feel like the thread starter.  I have piles of metal laying around and I didn't even think to use any of it for the barrels I'm eternally short of because I have to ration wood. :-[
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:12 pm »

Remember this, the solution to any problem is magma.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 02:22:33 am »

Indeed. Who cares about two dwarves? Unite them with the heart of the mountain... Or burn them alive. That works too.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:18:46 am »

You need a LOT of buckets to cope with wounded dorfs, in my experience.

My experience as well. Dwarves will even complain that they can't get your wounded dwarves water because there isn't an empty bucket free, even though there is a bucket FULL OF WATER sitting right at the feet of your wounded that no one is using. You need to wait for a dwarf to come by and say "that water shouldn't be there" and then another dwarf to say "that bucket shouldn't be there." And then for both of those dwarves to finish their tasks without attending a party dedicated to the dwarven deity of buckets of water.

Long story short, just smother them with a pillow.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:17:59 am »

Indeed. Who cares about two dwarves? Unite them with the heart of the mountain... Or burn them alive. That works too.

Yep. I was attacked by swamp trolls(dark dwarves mod) earlier and two dorfs were injured. I dug out two tombs, placed beds next to the stone coffins, and sealed the room. When they died I opened it long enough to retrieve the bed and move the body into the coffin.