Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Never had this happen...  (Read 772 times)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Never had this happen...
« on: July 28, 2009, 01:18:35 am »

Basically I ended a fortress because I wanted to add a hunter instead of a fisher, sense it was vibrant with wild life. I went back and discovered I had no choice but to reclaim- all good... I knew what happened when you reclaim people, with everyone being soldiers and what not, which really isn't a bad thing. When I reclaimed, I discovered this- I had a lot of extra points to spend on stuff, and, more importantly, I had 70 dwarves in my reclaim party, ranging from hammer, to sword, to marksdwarf. Is this normal? It wasn't even a big place I was reclaiming, it was literally just started. What affects the size of a reclaim party?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Never had this happen...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:22:10 am »

Basically I ended a fortress because I wanted to add a hunter instead of a fisher, sense it was vibrant with wild life. I went back and discovered I had no choice but to reclaim- all good... I knew what happened when you reclaim people, with everyone being soldiers and what not, which really isn't a bad thing. When I reclaimed, I discovered this- I had a lot of extra points to spend on stuff, and, more importantly, I had 70 dwarves in my reclaim party, ranging from hammer, to sword, to marksdwarf. Is this normal? It wasn't even a big place I was reclaiming, it was literally just started. What affects the size of a reclaim party?

I've been told that the 'danger level' of the area affects the size of the reclaim party, so it could well be because you had lots of wildlife.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:43:15 am »

theey say that but my low danger area warented 70 also so i think 70 is base number

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:53:25 am »

Reclaiming is really funny.

Sometimes i have an idea for some "fun" project and don`t want to wait hours till i got enough dwarfs to realize it. Then i simply embark on an goblin tower, abandon and reclaim it.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 02:16:14 pm »

On that insane 40 z level waterfall map that is posted somewhere around here, I reclaimed (after much horror and death) with 70 dwarves.

...There were a LOT of fish and elephants.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:06:32 pm »

Wealth also factors into reclaim size I believe, but that's unlikely for a starting fortress, unless you were sitting right on top of a huge 'other feature' that comes fully engraved. I've heard of a fort starting with 1 mil wealth in architecture from just that.

Reclaiming does mean all the items previously in the fort are probably littered all around the area, so you might need that many dwarves just for hauling.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »

theey say that but my low danger area warented 70 also so i think 70 is base number

My experience contradicts this, because I've embarked in a very mellow location and then done a reclaim and only shown up with 14 dwarves for the reclaim.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:38:05 am »

I just did my first reclaim ever - on a mellow location, mind you - and only got seven Axedwarves - all in full plate, but with only two axes total.

It's a good thing they had all that plate, too.  I have no idea what would've happened when we arrived on-site and were immediately attacked by four hoary marmots. :P
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!