Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Since Nobles make demands independant of the will of the fortress...  (Read 2636 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Since Nobles make demands independant of the will of the fortress...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 01:20:53 pm »

indeed. I've never embarked with sand on my map, so all nobles mandating sand die pretty much instantly.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 06:47:33 pm »

Currently, the optimal solution to nobles that demand impossible things, is to never give them a police force, and then ignore them.

The optimal solution to nobles that demand impossible things is magma.

The optimal solution is to fix the damn game.

It's ridiculous to have nobles in the game just so that players can shove them into magma pits. If they're not going to get smarter, they should be removed.

I'd like to see them get smarter, but at this point killing nobles has become such an entrenched tradition that I expect some people, when the new version (heh) arrives, to immediately drown their nobles in magma instead of seeing if they do something interesting. At this point, they'll need to not only get smarter but do something actively beneficial for the player.

And once again I suggest that nobles who don't get what they want should order it from a caravan, probably at an excessive price which you will have to pay on delivery.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:12 pm »

Isn't Toady going to make it so the dwarfs can refuse orders that could kill themselves/others?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »

Isn't Toady going to make it so the dwarfs can refuse orders that could kill themselves/others?

I misread that and took it as...

"Isn't Toady going to make it so that dwarfs who refuse orders will kill themselves?"

....GODLIKE!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 03:14:46 pm »

The purpose of the current noble demands (or so I hear) is to provide some sort of challenge and activity to the mid/late game.

Once there's actually something to do (army arc/diplomacy arc), and likewise something for those nobles to do (same arcs), I'm sure that the system will be revamped to be less frustrating and more intelligent.

It could probably stand to be more intelligent, right now, but at least it provides players so minded, with a reason to practice assassination. Eventually, I'd like to have one of those that actually makes sense, but until then, drowning barons is a fine stopgap.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 05:21:22 pm »

Drowning barons isn't a stopgap for anything.

Nobles making mandates is. Like you said, they're intended, to keep some internal challenge going in the fortress for the time being.

But drowning barons because they like Adamantine/Crystal Glass/Whatever because you literally have no way to ever produce these items is in no way an intended effect.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:55:48 am »

It might not have been intentional, but I suspect it won't go away until we have a new group of people to vent our spleen on.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 02:39:19 am »

at hte risk of me sounding like an idiot...

towercaps leave behind sand.

grow a towercap farm for the sand, and half your noble problems are gone.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 06:42:19 am »

I imagine nice, sensible nobles are going to have much longer lifespans than the jerk ones.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 08:04:35 am »

Didn't Toady say you'll appoint your own baron eventually?

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 01:16:19 pm »

It might not have been intentional, but I suspect it won't go away until we have a new group of people to vent our spleen on.

Elves?

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:28 pm »

I dunno, elves can be annoying, bet most of the time they aren't really harmful enough to be worth melting. There's no benefit to it, as you just get a whole army of elves, instead of another, potentially better, noble.

War and assassination are two different things. We make war on goblins, and we assassinate nobles.

You can only assassinate so many elves before it turns into a war, which is a lot less fun, because you're supposed to do it.

It's a complicated problem.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 09:15:44 pm »

Didn't Toady say you'll appoint your own baron eventually?

I think so

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 02:56:38 pm »

I dunno, elves can be annoying, bet most of the time they aren't really harmful enough to be worth melting. There's no benefit to it, as you just get a whole army of elves, instead of another, potentially better, noble.

War and assassination are two different things. We make war on goblins, and we assassinate nobles.

You can only assassinate so many elves before it turns into a war, which is a lot less fun, because you're supposed to do it.

It's a complicated problem.

Speak for yourself. I make war on my nobles. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3