Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 48

Author Topic: Beginners Mafia - Game over!  (Read 71994 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: Beginners Mafia - Game over!
« Reply #645 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:36 am »

I'm back from my trip.

This was an interesting game to read.

I'll read what I missed and write my comments.  Probably tomorrow because I have some other stuff to do first.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 18, 2009, 11:16:24 am »

"TOoNeymAn sUx dOooOds."

Yeah yeah Alexhans.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:45 am »

Your day 1 actions did bring you a batch of suspicions.  However, you were much better in Day 2.  That, coupled with knowledge of your personality meant you shouldn't have been lynched that day.  I'll note that the final blow to you was done by Mafioso Free Beer so you were technically scum killed rather than being accused of being scum. 

@ Jim

Toony has a point with that.  Myself I deem it 'acting a Kook'.  Mafia isn't always stressful (note that the vets are deeming this one of the hardest games played on these forums with insane handling by the mafia), but playing town leaves a very odd balance. 

@ both

Part of being town isn't just hunting scum, but also making yourself LOOK pro-town.  The idea is that you want to hunt for the mafia while making sure the town doesn't have a reason to think YOU are mafia.  It's less to keep yourself alive and more the fact that getting lynched is one step closer to losing. 

YOU know you're town, but the town doesn't know and CANNOT assume you are.  Thus they will be suspicious of you (and everyone else) day 1 and watching for ScumTells.  Learn about what makes a townie look like a townie and a mafia look like a mafia, then make SURE you do as little of the latter as possible.  A few examples:

Pro-town: Active, honest, risk taking, aggressive, and paranoid (in a "liquored up and shooting everything that moves" way)

Anti-town: Passive, defensive, confusing, bandwagonny, and self-serving

When left alone you are out to kill.  When accused, you answer questions and focus more on making your kill.  Try to avoid OMGUS votes (aka. Accusing your accuser) unless you have GOOD evidence against you.  To put it another way: if they DIDN'T accuse you, would you think they are scum? If not, don't attack.

Note: Eduren and Web were Toony's biggest accusers while I was Jim's and all were town.  Free Beer mearly slipped in just enough to tug the town towards town lynches and acted like "just another secondary character".  The mafia wasn't the one trying hard to kill you.. they were the one whispering into everyone's ear to do just that.

Sidenote: Jim, your near death could also be marked as a scum kill.  It was Free Beer that suggested that I aim at you instead of Vector and I took the bait.

Summary:

It's not so much "toonyman sux doods" as it is "we were all played like fiddles".

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

Heh, Free Beer did well in that game. I can tell that he will become a very good mafia player. With me, I just acted the same as I always do and it seemed to help.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #649 on: August 20, 2009, 04:42:49 pm »

For any of the new players: Check out Paranormal Round 9.  Sign ups are now.  ;D
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:16 pm »

MEh... I never came around to read the end of this game...

Maybe I will, sometime.

The dead chat shows my views about ignoring a waggon (that was already a lynch) because of WIFOM.  Not good. 

it also talks about proposing a self lynch to lynch someone else.  Always bad because you may be wrong about that person and that will only cause 2 town deaths.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 27, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »

I'd just like everyone to know that this only lends credit to my theory that states if I say "So-and-so" is scum, they are scum. This only works for the first person though.
You were pretty scummy in this game, though. 

And your logic to go after vector was never clear.

Also, people don't have to prove they are town.  YOU have to prove they are scum.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
lol
Quote from: jim
Not again. Are other mafias this stressful? If they are, I'm staying away from them with a twenty foot pole.
If you want to take it to seriously... yes... depending on the players they may be.  The trick is to remember that it is a game.

Things I recall.

Org lynch was a good lynch because Org was totally anti-town, lurker and never made a case.  If he is a townie it's better to get rid of that kind of person early.

Toonyman played recklessly but he still had motives, apparently.  There comes the experience of being able to read him or not based on how he posts and acts.

Webadict's agressiveness as an IC is not tolerable in my opinion.
Each day there was a new lynch suspect.

Wait, did town even once have a majority of votes on a mafia member?
No, because no one would let me lynch Vector.
You unvoted.  Dont complain about it now.

Also, you guys HAMMERED Vector.  In a normal mafia.  Once you've got the necessary amount, the player is automatically lynched.  HOw could you unvote when he was technically lynch is a mystery to me...

Free beer did what we could call, passive active lurking.  He posted, he said things but always to mild and never gained enemies.  That way he could fly under the radar for the whole game.

Jim was one of the most town-ish players.  I was surprised he wasn't shot before.

Dakarian too, seemed town due to his eagerness to get lynched.  It sounded earnest.

Vector acted to mild and laid back.  He was genuinely scummy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 27, 2009, 01:56:13 pm »

"Mild and laid back?"  I was panicking the entire time.  Well, whatever... I guess it's what other people see that counts.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 27, 2009, 05:06:52 pm »

Also, you guys HAMMERED Vector.  In a normal mafia.  Once you've got the necessary amount, the player is automatically lynched.  HOw could you unvote when he was technically lynch is a mystery to me...

Like people have said before, Day 2 was way too long.

Also you missed my analysis :P
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 27, 2009, 05:48:21 pm »

"Mild and laid back?"  I was panicking the entire time.  Well, whatever... I guess it's what other people see that counts.
What I mean is that you didn't seem too eager to scumhunt.

That was on day 1.

On day 2.  You did an awesome job against webadict and won that argument in my opinion.  Day 1 was what made me think you were scummy enough for a lynch. 

I didn't read day 3.   I Dont think I wanna know what happened there...

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 28, 2009, 12:39:35 am »

Remember, Vector that you had pegged yourself as being 'passive' in your WoT towards me.  You called it a playstyle and I took the hook. 

Free beer was able to active lurk due to everyone else being so up front and personal.  I still find it crazy that he was able to tilt me away from scum and into the Doc that easily.  Of course, Web was the one that tilted me towards Vector in the first place.  I need to be more steady with my vote..and  new way of determining who's guilty and who isn't.

And yes, that'll be the last time I go for the bomb. 

Sidenote: Day 3 was simple: we got so worn out over Day 2 that we couldn't see strait.  Mix in the fact that we were too busy looking for pairings rather than single members and it was an instant win for mafia.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:08 pm »

Is there going to be another one of these?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:34 pm »

There could be. Depending on how much interest there is.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 28, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »

I would be strongly interested it, if a version ran when my classes had calmed down (hopefully not too long from now, though I may be being optimistic) and people were willing to have me back.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 28, 2009, 07:27:55 pm »

And if you limit the number of veteran mafia players.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 48