Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Brink - Bethesda and Splash Damage's new FPS  (Read 9779 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Brink - Bethesda and Splash Damage's new FPS
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:01 pm »

NO ACTION IN RPGS
NO PLAYER SKILL INVOLVED
ROLL THE DICE, DON'T HAVE FUN
HAVING FUN?  GTFO, THIS IS AN RPG, FUN IS NOT ALLOWED

If you don't enjoy RPGs then don't play them.  Or just be happy game developers have decided to call everything a RPG for some innate quality the term apparently has.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 09:11:07 pm »

What I disliked most about Oblivion was that there was never any point in the game where I felt that that going down Tunnel X or opening door Y would be in any way dangerous, whereas in Morrowind, going to the wrong place too early carried a 60 percent chance of getting your face blown off with a chance of rape.

But to say there was no skill involved is silly. I remember taking on Vivec as a low level archer with a stack of enchanted arrows, running from column to column, taking pot shots at him, while his horrible, horrible head exploding magic barely missed me.

I won.

Vivec is a God.
!!&!!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:06 pm »

Vivec is a God.
I think that it turned out Vivec was just an extraordinary human being who, when betraying Dagoth Ur exploited some real gods magic/source of power to get the status he has today, didn't it?

I guess he could still be considered a god but not a real, natural one.

YOUR FEAT IS UNIMPRESSIVE (Even though I've never done it myself :x)

Also, wouldn't you be unable to hit him unless you were incredibly lucky, without 100 archery skill?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 11:06:55 pm »

I'll rephrase it. Next to the Daedra Lords, Vivec is the closest thing in the game to a god, other than Dagoth Ur, and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You don't need it to be nearly that high to hit most of the time, particularly not if you use splash damage enchanted arrows and point them at the ground under him.

EDIT:

I forgot what I wanted to point out through all of this. In Oblivion, the characters that comes the closest to having the kind of power Vivec or Dagoth Ur have are Mannimarco, and Mankar Camoran. Neither of them come remotely close to being remotely threatening. You can either cast the uberspell you have by then to instantly vaporize them, or wack them around for fifteen seconds as they ineffectually summon weak monsters and throw fireballs at you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:14:14 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:39 pm »

You don't need it to be nearly that high to hit most of the time, particularly not if you use splash damage enchanted arrows and point them at the ground under him
Splash damage enchanted arrows sound...interesting. I don't think I've ever seen them before! Did you have to enchant them yourself or are there some lying around?
I think a thieve's guild quest where you steal a stack of them, but once you do that quest they're gone forever. Those are the only ones I have ever seen (and they might not have even been AoE arrows!)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »

I'm fairly sure I did it myself. It was a long time ago, and I don't recall the details. It might have been the result of a mod. My memory further than two years back is rather vague.

Edit; Thinking back, you can't enchant arrows, but you can find and buy enchanted arrows.

But that's beyond the point, it wasn't the ammunition that was enchanted, it was the bow.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:18:48 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 11:21:15 pm »

Huh, I always assumed enchanting a bow doesn't enchant the arrows due to a bug in the XBOX version. However, if you have the Mournhold expansion one of the enemies you fight there has rather scary darts. And no, it's not the Black Dart Gang.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 11:28:02 pm »

You have to use Cast when Used, not Cast on Strike.
!!&!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 11:38:07 pm »

But don't you cast Cast When Used enchantments like spells? As in putting away your weapon and out the spell hands?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 12:04:26 am »

Or constant effect. I don't recall which. Bows are weird.
!!&!!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 05:39:19 am »

I'll rephrase it. Next to the Daedra Lords, Vivec is the closest thing in the game to a god, other than Dagoth Ur, and

You don't need it to be nearly that high to hit most of the time, particularly not if you use splash damage enchanted arrows and point them at the ground under him.

EDIT:

I forgot what I wanted to point out through all of this. In Oblivion, the characters that comes the closest to having the kind of power Vivec or Dagoth Ur have are Mannimarco, and Mankar Camoran. Neither of them come remotely close to being remotely threatening. You can either cast the uberspell you have by then to instantly vaporize them, or wack them around for fifteen seconds as they ineffectually summon weak monsters and throw fireballs at you.

Not sure what you're trying to say comparing Vivec and Dagoth Ur to Oblivion's versions of the King of Worms and the son of the Camoran Userper.  Both were, typical of Oblivion, horrible horrible abominations against the lore of the series, and game design in general.

In Daggerfall the King of Worms is this uber necromancer who becomes a god in the end depending on the ending you choose.  In Oblivion he's some weakling Altmer necromancer with an ugly staff.  Oh yeah, and as a nod, or rather kick in the balls, to anyone who knows anything about TES lore necromancy has suddenly been outlawed and all necromancers have turned into psychotic suicidal maniacs for no reason other than to provide a generic as humanly possible antagonist for the mage's guild missions. 

In TES lore Mankar Camoran's parents were Bosmer. In Oblivion he's an Altmer...  ???

Isn't it amazing how practically any discussion about TES naturally flows to how much Oblivion sucks?  It's just, that there are so many reasons that it's impossible to list them all without talking about other stuff as well to remind you.  It's like The Simpsons, except instead of saying "Hey, that reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons..." you say "Hey that reminds me of another thing wrong with Oblivion."
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »

EDIT:

Not sure what you're trying to say comparing Vivec and Dagoth Ur to Oblivion's versions of the King of Worms and the son of the Camoran Userper.  Both were, typical of Oblivion, horrible horrible abominations against the lore of the series, and game design in general.

In Daggerfall the King of Worms is this uber necromancer who becomes a god in the end depending on the ending you choose.  In Oblivion he's some weakling Altmer necromancer with an ugly staff.  Oh yeah, and as a nod, or rather kick in the balls, to anyone who knows anything about TES lore necromancy has suddenly been outlawed and all necromancers have turned into psychotic suicidal maniacs for no reason other than to provide a generic as humanly possible antagonist for the mage's guild missions. 

In TES lore Mankar Camoran's parents were Bosmer. In Oblivion he's an Altmer...  ???

Isn't it amazing how practically any discussion about TES naturally flows to how much Oblivion sucks?  It's just, that there are so many reasons that it's impossible to list them all without talking about other stuff as well to remind you.  It's like The Simpsons, except instead of saying "Hey, that reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons..." you say "Hey that reminds me of another thing wrong with Oblivion."

Who cares about lore?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 12:50:48 pm »

Who cares about lore?
So much for your "immersion" argument, then.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 12:54:25 pm »

Bethseda huh... mrmm.... Not too interested. Maybe if they started using more than 4 voice actors in each game.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 12:57:20 pm »

Bethseda huh... mrmm.... Not too interested. Maybe if they started using more than 4 voice actors in each game.
hahaha, Very true. Paying for Picard cost them the rest of the voice actors.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5