Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cages made out of rock  (Read 1472 times)

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
Cages made out of rock
« on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:25 pm »

My fortress has no metal (as far as I've dug) and I've been needing a jail. I have stone of many types (none being ores) and wood. from what I've read from dwarffortresswiki.net you cant make proper jails from wood. I know I can trade for metal but i think it would be much easier if someone has no metal if they could make cages for jails and other uses out of rock.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cages made out of rock
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »

I think a "jail cell" should be a room, defined from a door to make it so that you can have an empty jail cell. Or perhaps a special "jail door" that would allow the passing of food and water through. The cell could be furnished if desired, and maybe even a workshop included.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:12:47 pm »

I don't think there's much stone you couldn't break a 2-3 inch thick bar of. Stone tends to be brittle when cut so thin.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »

Why not just use ropes? --or build wooden ones?

There's already  plenty of ways for the metalless, or even the metalless, woodless, fort with no reeds to get their prisoners jailed.

Unless there's a strong flavor justification, I can't see myself supporting it, as there is no mechanical necessity.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 07:22:00 pm »

I don't think there's much stone you couldn't break a 2-3 inch thick bar of. Stone tends to be brittle when cut so thin.
Hah.  That's funny.  But wrong, trust me.  I've tried.  At least for the kinds of stone you'd be using to build with, anyway.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:27:38 pm »

Its unrealistic, even granite is easy to break when carved into a 2-3 inch wide bar, a powerful kick in the right place and it'd shatter. To make a workable rock cage, it'd have to be too tick and too large, making it too heavy to be practical.

Also, AFAIK, wooden cages work just as nicely as metal ones, unless you're trying to capture things like fire/magma men and HFS.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:43:50 pm »

I guess you're right, but it seems like wood would be escapable by a strong enough dwarf, i'll try it and post the results later

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:57 pm »

Well, modern prison cells are rooms with vertical bars. I don't see why prisons in DF shouldn't follow suit. The only advantage of cages and other separations is that it would stop tantruming dwarves from killing all of their prison mates.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 06:40:39 am »

Well, one possibility would be using fortifications as "bars".
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

ArPharazon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 09:47:43 am »

I suppose you could make it out of Sapphire. >_> Wikipedia gives a pretty high tensile strength for it, and from what I understand that is the important factor with mineral bars.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:56:35 am »

Its unrealistic, even granite is easy to break when carved into a 2-3 inch wide bar, a powerful kick in the right place and it'd shatter.
Have you ever tried?  Cause I have, and it didn't work like you say.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »

Well i never met anyone with the time and skill to craft me a 1,5 meter long 2/3 inch rock bar, but i assume i could easily break one by kicking its center a few times. Non crystaline rocks tend to have considerably low tensile strenght.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:34 pm »

There's a reason concrete beams include rebar, dude. Concrete is especially brittle, but still- schist, granite, microcline, magnetite- I can't think of any layer/large cluster stones that would really work well enough to hold most of the people on this forum. And remember we're talking about dwarves too; they're crazy mother****ers who haul stone around all day and kill skeletal colossi.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 06:42:08 pm »

There's a reason concrete beams include rebar, dude. Concrete is especially brittle, but still- schist, granite, microcline, magnetite- I can't think of any layer/large cluster stones that would really work well enough to hold most of the people on this forum. And remember we're talking about dwarves too; they're crazy mother****ers who haul stone around all day and kill skeletal colossi.

Dwarves in mythology are usually fairly strong on top of this. It's unlikely any dwarf wouldn't be able to break a thin rock bar. Of course, dwarves can be restrained by a lead chain, it's not like DF physics are accurate.

Metals are fairly easy to find. Look for embark zones with flux stone or granite, they're usually heavy with all sorts of metals. Worst case, embark with some copper nuggets. They're cheap, like 6 dwarf bucks.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 06:57:10 pm »

They could easily mix cat hair into the concrete to make it strong enough, at least stronger then gold, copper, tin, lead...
Pages: [1] 2