Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aquifers and Continuous Water Flow  (Read 3381 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifers and Continuous Water Flow
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:27:52 pm »

So, normally I would just try this out and see what happens (fun) but this fort I really like and want to both play it straight and not savescum it, so here is the problem I face:

I am building a Moria styled hall, really friggin' huge, which will also be a cistern of epic proportions.  Just cuz.  The basic plan is to use the aquifer on the map to provide a continuous water flow that will power a massive bank of water wheels ( a 46x23 area, I think ) to provide power for more fun stuff.  The channel level would look something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the side, the aquifer looks roughly like this:

Now, my question is what is the best way to drain from the aquifer here?  Since the aquifer layer is surrounded by a stone layer, I was thinking either:

Which would that require aquifers drain trough fortifications on their borders, or:

Which will work but seems to have alot more potential for drowning.  There will of course be redundant safety measures and floodgates involved.  Suggestions?
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers and Continuous Water Flow
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:23:05 pm »

Personally, I recommend collapsing an aquifer tile a few levels down to provide an infinite amount of instantaneous drainage, but that's just me.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I can't foresee any problems with either of your current setups. Since you're planning on having many redundancies, it should keep any fortress destroying potential to a minimum.

I give your project a green light!

Just remember to be cautious when digging below aquifer layers, as that will cause water to leak through as well. You can do this in your giant cistern to provide some cool waterfalls, if you feel up to it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:41:26 pm »

Do be aware that large amounts of moving water can utterly kill your framerate.  :(

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:50:02 pm »

Do be aware that large amounts of moving water can utterly kill your framerate.  :(

If it's below 7/7 then it kills your framerate... 7/7 water or magma doesn't have that much of an effect.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »

Thanks.  That answers most of my questions.  Except this one: will carving a fortification directly into the natural stone wall that borders a soil aquifer allow water to pass through, or must there be a space behind said fortification in order for the water to drain?
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

I make games, too

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:00:28 pm »

Water should flow out with just the fortification.

This is me speculating; it's better to test it out yourself, though I don't see any reason why the fortification shouldn't work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:09 pm »

You can create a tunnel to the edge of the map below ground, then smooth the edge and carve a fortification. This will let the water flow off the map for drainage.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:56:43 am »

It may not work on a biome with an aquifer, even if its a different elevation.

Fortifications on the edge of the map are actually a bug and thus, they will act unpredictably.

;)

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:32 am »

On a map with an aquifier I was playing yesterday, I got through the aquifier with a cave-in and then decided it was too easy, so I set up a river to drown my dwarves.  I dug out a nice long channel ~2 layers below the aquifier, and then smoothed and fortified the edge of the map.  Well, the fortifications started leaking water.  Dwarves were drowned, and good times were had by all, even though it wasn't the way I intended,

tl;dr: Fortifications on the edge of the map can create water on maps with aquifiers.  Cause unknown.
Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:20 am »

Okay...that's exceptionally strange.

While that's nice, what I really meant was this:

Because my aquifer doesn't span the entire map, nor many layers.

Though, from the fact that fortifications on the edge of the map do weird crap, I can safely assume that this should work.

I make games, too

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:48 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:14:43 pm by Stany »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:21:40 pm »

tl;dr: Fortifications on the edge of the map can create water on maps with aquifiers.  Cause unknown.
Also on maps without them (map might or might not border on a biome with an aquifer level, but probably not). I was very surprised when I fortified a diorite edge and the water started coming in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 04:14:12 pm »

On a map with an aquifier I was playing yesterday, I got through the aquifier with a cave-in and then decided it was too easy, so I set up a river to drown my dwarves.  I dug out a nice long channel ~2 layers below the aquifier, and then smoothed and fortified the edge of the map.  Well, the fortifications started leaking water.  Dwarves were drowned, and good times were had by all, even though it wasn't the way I intended,

Its almost certainly related to being in an aquifer biome and how aquifers are coded in the game.

Fortifications act as a drain to the edge of the map. If its a dry edge, you can drain water. But if you dig into a huge pool of water instead, you're going to get flooded.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 04:16:45 pm »

Fortifications act as a drain to the edge of the map. If its a dry edge, you can drain water. But if you dig into a huge pool of water instead, you're going to get flooded.

So, if you happened to have a wet edge and a dry edge on the same map (if possible), you could make your own underground river that would flow from edge to edge?

I'm going to have to try this as soon as I get some free time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 06:38:46 pm »

It might work. Embark on an area with an aquifer on one side of the map but the other side dry.

Are these off-map aquifers pressurized? I've hit water there before, but quickly walled things off before I was able to find out. I also tend not to play on aquifer maps, as I like complicated sewer projects from remote water sources best.
Pages: [1] 2