Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Watch me play: King's Quest 3: Revived!  (Read 4149 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Watch me play: King's Quest 3: Revived!
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »

Toonyman has graciously allowed me to LP KQ3, despite him having claimed it already. This is my first experience with .gifs, so please tell me if there is anything that I can improve them with, or just scrap them altogether. I think future updates will use the KQ3 logo instead of start/end, that's a bit intrusive. No real animals will be harmed during my play through of this game.

First, the game's marvelous intro and credits. Creepy mystic music plays from the internal speakers during the intro. The main character is Gwydion. The evil wizard is Mannanan.

Mannanan showed up just as it started, and ordered me to clean his office. He does such things a lot. Failure to comply wastes time in amusing ways. I'll annoy him with that later though. For now, I must clean his office!

I cleaned the office.

I entered the kitchen. For an evil wizard of untold power, he sure does like wasting time checking up on his slave.

I forgot to look at the other rooms.

I wish to emphasize that I do not agree with the actions taken in the next .gif, and do not believe that cats should be kicked.

Cat fur is required to beat the game, as a spell ingredient. If the wizard catches Gwydion with it, he kills him. Of course, he also kills Gwydion if he catches him with fly wings. He just likes killing Gwydion. He is unable to find anything hidden under the bed.
For some untold reason, there is nothing nice that can be done with the cat, but multiple mean things to do to it.

There's an easter egg message for looking behind the tapestry.

After I looked at that, the wizard finally appeared and told me he was going on a trip, but I accidentally deleted the .pngs before .gifing them. Trips last until X:30:00. You can only explore the countryside while he is away or sleeping. If you go over the time limit, he catches you. The first time he does it, he just wastes time. The second time, it's game over.

When he returns, he demands food. There are four items of food in the game. Instant game over if you take too long.

Total .gif size for this update: 404 kb.

Next time, on Watch me play: King's Quest 3.gif:
Fun with underage magic!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:26:33 pm by Nirur Torir »

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watch me play: King's Quest 3.gif!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:23:30 pm »

Using .gif is alright, but its annoying having to wait for it to return to the beginning since I don't get to it in time to see it start.  I say search his office for any supplies or spell components if you are taking suggestions on what to do.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:27:26 pm »

Will limiting myself to 5-10 second .gifs in future updates help?

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:33:56 pm »

The only one that kind of bugged me was the starting one, but the rest seem to be at an alright length.  Also, I just remembered we never went into the chicken coop.  Is there anything important in there?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:27 am »

Actually, that was the intro. We haven't been outside yet, but yes, we need a chicken feather for a spell. Would it help if I made short .gifs longer, to sync all the images on each page? Now, an update!

First, we loot the wizard's room.

For those too lazy to count, we looted a magic mirror, a key, a magic map that let's us teleport where we've been before (aside from the house, [rage]), and some Rose Petal Essence.

Now we enter the wizard's tower, and find fly wings. They are a spell component, as are most things we find.

I remembered to get a chicken feather.

Thanks to my magic map, I only have to go down the mountain one time. It's more annoying then it looks, and one misstep from the narrow path causes Gwydion to fall and die.

Get used to that .gif. There is no other way up to the house, because the map doesn't like the house. I forgot to bring a spell that tells us where to get money which we need to make the wizard go bye-bye. The opening credits were important, because now we know who to hate for their obession with narrow paths and staircases.

We need to put the wand back before the wizard comes home, or we go bye-bye.

Moving a book and pushing a lever reveals a secret area!
There's an evil, highly hostile cat on the stairs. Whoops, I'll just leave the screen and come back so it's not there anymore.

I found the wizard's lab!

Each one of those marked ingredients needs to be picked up. There is no ">take all" command for them. I thought about adding me getting them to the .gif, but felt merciful.

This is the wizard's spell book, and the game's highly intrusive copy protection. I have to copy multiple steps and four lines of verse for each of seven spells. One typo kills us. Did I mention the timer ticks down during it? Yay.

On the plus side, they made one death scene for making a mistake with each spell. In order, they are:
1) Dough for hearing what animals say.
2) *A spell that lets Gwydion turn into a fly or eagle, but only has three uses.
3) Stone of random teleportation, with unlimited uses. It's hard to see here, but the death scene keeps cycling a cloud of smoke that accompanies teleportation.
4) Sleep powder.
5) *Cookie of cat transformation
6) *Storm Cloud
7) *Invisibility

Spells marked with * are required to beat the game. The dough and powder give more points (and gold), while the stone of random teleportation is amusing and useful. It has a chance of returning us to the house, but we won't need the house by the time we can finally get it.

How to annoy a wizard!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:47 pm »

Ah, I sort of know this King's Quest.  I remember how your wizard master could kill you in so many ways.  Anyway, continue on!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »

It's time for update three: How to annoy a wizard!

By mixing Rose Petal Essence and Saffron, I made a spell that lets me turn into an eagle or a fly with fly wings or an eagle feather, but I'll only get three uses. Screenshots not shown due to boringness and it being the game's copy protection. I'd better leave that book alone now, I don't want to end up invisible for the rest of my life. I'll just open this magic map up ... Hey, I can teleport down the mountain now! Hey, a town! What's in this building labeled "store?"

Why, it's a store! I'm afraid I'll need to buy everything he has, but the wizard never pays me for my chores. I'll just get some dog fur while I'm here. It's not nailed down, so I'll need it later.

I'll enter that strange building now.

Aiee! Bandits! I'm going to try casting my only spell, to scare them ... bzz bzz bzz.

I say, that's a nice tree. I'll just reach my hand into that hole. Hey, a ladder. I'd better look inside to make sure that there's nobody awake in there waiting to steal everything I own. Oh, just a sleeping bandit guarding a bag of gold. Mine now.

Aiee! Bears, south of the forest! I think I'll retreat for now, and go buy some fish oil in the store.

Time to loot the bears' house. It took about 30 tries of exiting and re-entering the screen to get them to leave again, and somebody mixed the images in this .gif up slightly.

I now have everything I need to make a second spell, so I go back up the mountain. You get to watch each time I do, lucky people.

I'll go back to the lab now, and make my spell. After about three tries, I noticed that I forgot to retrieve EVERY item from underneath my bed, so I loaded and got them. By mixing mandrake root powder, fish oil, and cat fur, I created a magic cookie. I only had to abuse saves about six times total.

Having finished in the lab, I locked the wand in the safe so the wizard wouldn't know I stole it (image lost) and went to sleep for five minutes. It didn't actually make time pass any faster, but I might not get another chance to sleep for the rest of the adventure.

Ah, I woke up about 15 seconds before he returned (wrong image used), and realized I forgot to hit the lever and replace the books. After doing that so he wouldn't notice I was down there, he immediately appeared and demanded food. That was a very close call.

I gave him some enchanted porridge, and he turned into a kitty. Yay, kitty! Oh, while I'm here, I might as well take that cup.

I thought I made a .gif of me eating the cookie and turning into a perfectly normal black cat, but I cannot find it. Strangely, despite being able to kick the original cat, the game doesn't let you do anything to the wizard-cat. I'm sure the wizard turning into a cat but leaving him alive will not have any negative repercussions in a later game in the series. Nope.

Quest for spell components!

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 04:44:59 pm »

Wait, if you turned the wizard into a kitten for the rest of the game, shouldn't you have won or do you have something else to do to win the game?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 04:50:59 pm »

So I'm a freed slave. I still have to find my place in life, as it were.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 04:57:58 pm »

>board pirate ship

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 05:09:35 pm »

I am not yet ready for a life of piracy.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 07:06:05 pm »

become a shoe smith
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 07:06:39 pm »

Screw that, >become ninja/street fighter

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 08:30:38 pm »

Finishing my quest involves finding the oracle, and doing whatever it tells me to do. Crazy oracles and their crazy quests.

Screw that, >become ninja/street fighter
ERROR! I am unable to mix those jobs!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't watch me play: King's Quest 3.gif!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »

I'm sorry. Due to a hard drive failure, I've lost the save file and my KQ3 installation. If I still knew where my King's Quest anthology CD was I would reinstall it anyway, but I can't find it. If someone else wants to finish this, go ahead. Otherwise, it's probably dead unless I can find the CD.
Pages: [1] 2