Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A pit of madness.  (Read 673 times)

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A pit of madness.
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:03:53 pm »

I've been stewing over the ideas of gathering any insane dwarves, elves, humans, sane enemies like kobolds or maybe even wild animals and dropping them into some sort of closed pit, effectively creating something akin to the pools full of sharks of James Bond yor.

Would there be anything I would need to take into account before I do this such as hostilities between races/individuals (would they kill eachother before the prisoner I'd decided to drop in?) or would they starve to death due to a lack of food, or maybe they wouldn't attack the new prisoner at all?

I'd wish to hear some of your opinions on the matter before I actually go forth to design such a pit.

Other questions I have would be is it wise to trap elven traders in order to fuel my pit? I'm worried in case such an act would affect my relationships with the elven cities or perhaps even my legibility for becoming a Barony, as I've heard that "the carvan must survive" in order to receive a Baron, among other boxes that must be ticked.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:18:51 pm by Mightymuffin »

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A pit of madness.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:21:50 pm »

Dropping animals would prevent more from spawning unless you tame then first.  Dropping siegers would prevent any more sieges I think and maybe traders.  Not sure if you caged them first and released later if that would fix that.

Insane dwarves will starve.  Insane elves/humans might work or might prevent more traders.  If they are stark, raving mad, I think they will attack anything, but if they are melancholy, they will just sit around. 

Overall, most of these don't seem quite what you want.

You could always capture actual sharks and tame them and put them in a pit.  It's a bit of work, but possible.  Or just use dogs or wolves or random tamed animals. 

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:35:02 pm »

I did something like this a while ago.

Though it was an mined out and partially flooded cave system inhabited by any lizard and snakemen i could get my hands on. (Some dwarfs sadly got their hands ripped off while catching them..) Every idiot dwarf or caged invader got thrown into this cave.

It was quite funny, till some lizardmen escaped by swimming under some fortifications. Then the world, and especially some tantruming dwarves, went mad.

Anyway your idea sounds like fun. (Non fortress killing fun actually!)

But you have to consider that insane dwarves won`t last long down there, even without snakemen.

Berserk dwarves will run around and kill any inhabitant, or will get killed. And melancholic or mad dwarves will die anyway.

As far as i know invaders and animals won`t need food. But if you want to have some "dwarf colony" down there you should throw some food down every season.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »

Based on what you've said, would it be wiser to try and tame a large beast and just have that down there instead of multiple mad dwarves?

As an update, I have recently discovered a magma man living inside my magma vent. Would it be a wise decision to attempt to capture this fellow and drop him inside the pit, as it may be that he could generally immolate any goblin prisoners dropped inside in a hilarious fashion and upon dying, this would make way for another magma man to spawn. Am I correct?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:54:00 pm by Mightymuffin »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »

Wiser? It`s about fun. But it would be easier and an longer lasting "investment". Since he won`t need food nor will he went mad.

Magma men certainly are fun. But they won`t spawn other magma men upon dying/killing something.

Just be careful, since that could result into wildfires..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:03:10 pm by Lordinquisitor »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 01:05:23 pm »

I recommend you do everything that you just described anyway, regardless of what advice and recommendations you receive.

And then learn from the results.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:12:32 pm »

The Magma Man would be fine but he probably won't last long.  Even wimpy goblins will fairly quickly chew through anything short of a Megabeast.  Mad dwarves will be hard to catch and will starve.  The best would be to have a stock of a tame animal that can breed.  Then you don't have to mess with any upkeep as long as they breed faster than they die.  Dogs or wolves would work good.  Then maybe try throwing in crazy merchants too.  Those should be pretty easy to produce and catch.  Or put your trade depot at the bottom of the pit and just seal when merchants come.  You don't need to wait until they are crazy.  The live ones can have fun with whatever you drop. 

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:48:09 pm »

Wiser? It`s about fun. But it would be easier and an longer lasting "investment". Since he won`t need food nor will he went mad.

Magma men certainly are fun. But they won`t spawn other magma men upon dying/killing something.

Just be careful, since that could result into wildfires..

I was meaning that if the magma man were to die, this would allow other magma men to spawn in magma vent itself over time, freeing up slots as it were.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 01:49:36 pm »

The Magma Man would be fine but he probably won't last long.  Even wimpy goblins will fairly quickly chew through anything short of a Megabeast.  Mad dwarves will be hard to catch and will starve.  The best would be to have a stock of a tame animal that can breed.  Then you don't have to mess with any upkeep as long as they breed faster than they die.  Dogs or wolves would work good.  Then maybe try throwing in crazy merchants too.  Those should be pretty easy to produce and catch.  Or put your trade depot at the bottom of the pit and just seal when merchants come.  You don't need to wait until they are crazy.  The live ones can have fun with whatever you drop. 

Based on what you've said, I think I'll go for the wolves then. The magma man may be obscenely difficult to catch and ultimately with little profit.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:26:33 am »

Also, Magma Men do not re-spawn.  Once he's dead that's it.