Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do I stop it?  (Read 2293 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop it?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 10:26:13 am »

You can setup forge plumbing that's safe from magma critters without needing any magma safe material or even building anything.

Dig your magma tunnelsbelow the forges, but stop TWO tiles short of the pipe. The tile closest to the pipe will be channeled out from above eventually to start the flow. The second one, closest to the forge feeding tunnels should be smoothed, then carved into fortifications. Then when you channel out the last tile the magma flowing into your feeder tunnels will be 'filtered'. Obviously you'll need to floor the channel that opened the pipe or that will be an access point for imps.

OR you can just skip the fortification and just dig the tunnels out 'unfiltered' and just put down your forges quickly. If the non-accessible tiles of the forges/smelters cover the channel the imps can't get out.

Either way you can get magma metalworks up in about a month without any special material.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 10:28:08 am »

Wooden pumps will work fine as long as there is no backflow, but they will break down after bit.  Brief pumping session, it'll be fine, use it any longer than that video, there could be trouble.  I've had it going longer than that, but I don't know why.

Not shown is the fortifications filtering the flow, because they vanished for some reason. Still there, just invisible.

From my experience, if you don't have flow numbers on the magma would be slightly darker where there are fortifications or something else hidden,
You're thinking of grates, which are buildings.  Fortifications are constructions which are strangely different.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »

Do note though, flowing water (and magma, I assume), can push things (like creatures) through fortifications(and bars?).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 02:19:22 pm »

Not that I've seen.

HowEVER, if you dig into the magma like I showed in my screenshots, the magma flow shouldn't actually flow much after it's filled, unless you expand the channeling or flood something.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 02:29:07 pm »

I can confirm that bars are useless, having made a point to specifically bring iron bars on embark to let me filter out imps. (Wasn't aware that fortifications would work at the time).

I've seen imps go through bars in vanilla DF.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 06:56:35 pm »

Wooden pumps will work fine as long as there is no backflow, but they will break down after bit.  Brief pumping session, it'll be fine, use it any longer than that video, there could be trouble.  I've had it going longer than that, but I don't know why.

Not shown is the fortifications filtering the flow, because they vanished for some reason. Still there, just invisible.

From my experience, if you don't have flow numbers on the magma would be slightly darker where there are fortifications or something else hidden,
You're thinking of grates, which are buildings.  Fortifications are constructions which are strangely different.

Smoothed walls which are carved into fortifications are not constructions.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 07:06:23 pm »

Well, true.  But you don't always know where you'll hit the pipe, and I was assuming a situation in which the filter would need to be built.  But the same temp immunity rules that apply to constructions also apply to natural constructions.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »

Well, true.  But you don't always know where you'll hit the pipe, and I was assuming a situation in which the filter would need to be built.  But the same temp immunity rules that apply to constructions also apply to natural constructions.

How can you not know when you'll hit the pipe? Do you have warm stone warnings disabled? I usually get them 2 squares away from any magma, even if it's a different z-level

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 08:40:26 pm »

Well, I've heard about flow pushing imps through, so I wanted to create a flow-less, perfectly stable, imp-safe magma set up. If you place a floor down, will it stop magma forges working?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:23 pm »

How can you not know when you'll hit the pipe? Do you have warm stone warnings disabled? I usually get them 2 squares away from any magma, even if it's a different z-level
As you said, the warm tile is not always touching magma pipe.  That, and carving a fortification into a warm stone that is touching magma is not a good idea unless you have a dwarf you are willing to sacrifice like a virgin on a primitive island (chucking into magma).
Just so I remember

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 09:35:07 pm »

As you said, the warm tile is not always touching magma pipe.  That, and carving a fortification into a warm stone that is touching magma is not a good idea unless you have a dwarf you are willing to sacrifice like a virgin on a primitive island (chucking into magma).

Well yeah, but with a little exploration once you hit warm stone (without cutting out the warm stone) you can easily get a feel for where the pipe is. I usually cut a 2-square tunnel all the way to the pipe once I find it and then channel out the last tiles from above, leaving multiple iron bars in the tunnel to block imps. If you're fancy, a bauxite mechanism and some iron gets you an iron cage which you can leave in the tunnel to trap imps and whatever else.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 11:58:20 pm »

Okay, so I just capped off the pipe again. I really don't want to mess it up a third time, so I'll show you guys what I'm thinking about and get feedback on it:

None of this has been dug yet. I'm waiting for the all-clear sign. The shot on the left is Z-4, where the forges will be. The one on the right is Z-5, which is the magma channels. I'm still a little confused on placing doors/fortifications, so if you guys can help me there that would be great.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:17 am »

Well the safest way (for your dwarves) that I know of to breach a magma pipe is to channel out the final tile from above, so you'd need to add a small offshoot to do that. It's not really dangerous as you can easily wall it up afterwards and then so long as the only exposed magma is underneath impassable workshop tiles you're golden. That setup looks fine to me.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 10:15:53 am »

Looks fine.  I wouldn't worry about the imps too much.  Like the previous poster said, channel the last tile to the magma from above.  Keep one marksdwarf around for any imps once you channel, then just wall up any access points.  Imps are easy if you are ready for them.  You just don't want them showing up later when you aren't ready and gettting an important guy toasted.  I never bother with fortifications or any of that stuff.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2009, 10:45:32 am »

I just do fortifications because I don't have to plan out where the exposed magma tiles for the workshops go (I see that has already been done).  But each to their own.  I see no immediate faults, though it seems a rather small amount of workshops going there.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3]