Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do I stop it?  (Read 2307 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop it?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 12:02:29 am »

How do you get the numbers to show up instead of tildes?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 12:13:38 am »

How do you get the numbers to show up instead of tildes?

It's an option in the init.txt file.

Look for [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:NO] and change NO to YES

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 12:19:32 am »

Okay, thanks. Anyway, I tried to construct my four new magma facilities(smelter, forge, glassmaker and kiln). I managed to get 3 of them built, but the channel I dug to power the fourth one overflowed or something... not sure why or how. The magma is 1/7 deep, will it eventually go away just like water? Or do I need to take special measures to get rid of it? I still have the water system in place I used to make this cap, so I could flood my new magma works to cool it off, though I would rather not do that since muddy tiles are unaesthetically pleasing(speaking of which, is there a way to turn muddy tiles back into normal tiles?)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21:50 am »

Okay, thanks. Anyway, I tried to construct my four new magma facilities(smelter, forge, glassmaker and kiln). I managed to get 3 of them built, but the channel I dug to power the fourth one overflowed or something... not sure why or how. The magma is 1/7 deep, will it eventually go away just like water? Or do I need to take special measures to get rid of it? I still have the water system in place I used to make this cap, so I could flood my new magma works to cool it off, though I would rather not do that since muddy tiles are unaesthetically pleasing(speaking of which, is there a way to turn muddy tiles back into normal tiles?)

1. You're welcome.
2. No way for us to tell you why it overflowed without seeing the design and layout, but if it only overflowed a little and you have 1/7 magma spread around it will evaporate like water.
3. If a smoothed stone tile or constructed floor tile gets muddied then any dwarf with cleaning labor should run over and clean it.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 12:26:23 am »

Hrm, did you build right on top of the pipe or something?  If so, it could be because the way that magma pipes refill has something to do with columns of magma above surface of the existing magma, or so I've heard.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 12:50:34 am »

Intentional?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 01:09:21 am »

Hrm, did you build right on top of the pipe or something?  If so, it could be because the way that magma pipes refill has something to do with columns of magma above surface of the existing magma, or so I've heard.

He makes a good point. Its unwise to build directly on a capped magma pipe because pipes actually refill from the top down, oddly enough. Sprinkles of magma will appear at the top and trickle down.

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 06:19:44 am »

Not quite from the top: a small tower of magma appears starting above the current level and going up a few Z-levels, which then falls. The net effect for where you can place forges is the same, though: mustn't be directly over a magma source tile unless it is on the z-level above where the magma pipe originally started (it never spawns higher).

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 09:06:04 am »

Yeah, that's what I did... I built ontop of the magma pipe. The magma slowly went away until I had only 1 tiles of it left... then it erupted again.

EDIT:, well, four eruptions later, it's not getting any better. In fact, it keeps getting worse, since with each eruption it spreads one or two tiles. To make things worse, I've spent about half a year trying to get this thing running, so all my would-be metalsmiths and glassworkers are becoming very good friends... I have a backup saved from when I first arrived at this fort, so I think I may load that up and start again... It's a shame, I got really good immigrants this time around(Armorer, Blacksmith, Weapon Smith, Dyer and Animal Caretaker... Dyer was going to be my wood burner, AC was going be glassmaker).

Anyway, as far as magma plumbing goes, I have a problem: I didn't bring any bauxite with me on this trip, and I have not found any mining. I could build a traditional forge to make a grate, but that still doesn't solve the floodgate/mechanism problem... I think I can order some from the caravan, but I don't want to wait another year to get this going.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:35:28 am by RandomNumberGenerator »

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:55 am »

That is one hazard for the top of the pipe.  Keep in mind, the magma will not spawn any higher than the original pipe top.  You dug into the obsidian so your forges are actually just below the original top.  You could have channeled from the very top of the obsidian and wait for magma to fill back up and you'd be safe.  The future problem is that you now can't drain the magma pipe at all for other fun stuff without your forges losing power.  That's why channeling to a forge setup is generally the better setup.  Magma is actually easier to work with then water as it does not have pressure, so it's not that hard to do. 

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:57 am »

I just sealed the pool created fortifications in the cardinal directions, and shot up the imps as they came up to check out the digging.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 09:47:47 am »

In terms of magma plumbing, almost anything you need with flowing magma can be done with screw pumps so you don't usually need mechanisms if you are careful.  If you want to permanently shut off some magma, water can work to make an obsidian block.  You can avoid major water plumbing problems by making a small pond above a lever activated hatch and filling it by bucket brigade.  Open the hatch once there is 2/7 or more water and it will drop on the magma.  This can seal a small channel permanently. 

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 10:02:11 am »

Is it possible to create a separated magma pool for forges by letting magma flow into a channel, and then draining the main pipe while having a screw pump to keep the secondary magma pool from flowing away?

(from the side)
m = magma          =   <- = screwpump
= = solid rock       =
=============
mmmmmm<-         
=============mmmmmmmmm
                           =mmmmmmmmm
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:23 am »

Should work fine.  If you are taking from the top of the pipe, just be aware that it may take a while to fill the separate pool if it is too big because the top layer of the pipe refills pretty slowly.  Even a wooden screw pump should work fine in that situation.

Is it possible to create a separated magma pool for forges by letting magma flow into a channel, and then draining the main pipe while having a screw pump to keep the secondary magma pool from flowing away?

(from the side)
m = magma          =   <- = screwpump
= = solid rock       =
=============
mmmmmm<-         
=============mmmmmmmmm
                           =mmmmmmmmm

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 10:24:20 am »

Even a wooden screw pump should work fine in that situation.

My sources say otherwise...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3