Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Butchering the macaques and groundhogs that litter my fortress entrance.  (Read 1439 times)

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My latest fortress is cut primarily into a glacier in order to bypass a nearby aquifer, and seeing as I had practically no stone to begin with, I used the ice that lay strewn around the place for a few basic walls before I started to dig into the limestone.
I am telling you this in case this is related to the problem IE pathfinding problems etc.

Anyhow, let's get to the problem itself. I was recently swarmed by macaques, evil little blighters, and I decided to draft two miners and a peasant to go and kill them, and the mission was a great success. Corpses litter the ground. There were no survivors.

Upon deciding not to let the corpses go to waste, I tried to butcher the corpses for their wonderous fat to start work on my grand soaping industry. (Who knows, I could build fortresses out of the stuff.)
However, instead of simply butchering them, I was met by the most annoying message "Onul Eseshrovod Ranger cancels Butcher an Animal: Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item".

For some reason, my dwarves aren't bringing the corpses back to the refuse pile, nor are they bringing back the wood that they have chopped down to my wood stockpile. The only stockpile that has been filled so far is the food stockpile, containing barrels from my wagon and various plump helmet barrels.

Interestingly, upon attempting to create a second wall to create some sort of airlock entrance to the stockpiles out of ice, I was met with a message explaining that there were items blocking the way and the dwarves had suspended construction of the wall.

Notably, there are two blocks of ice sitting directly where I wished to place the wall.

Another piece of information is that my ranger slew various groundhogs with his crossbow before attacking the very same yeti that I wished to capture and caused me to have to open my task manager and close down dwarf fortress.

Upon trying to butcher these groundhogs, I had the very same problem with the same message.

Can anyone help me? I'm aware another gentleman had a similar problem with butchering harpies, which I know are humanoid, but it gives me the same message.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

it's not the humanoid that matters, it's the BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag. it means that you have to capture macaques and groundhogs in order to butcher them. If they are killed in battle it won't work (I usually turn all creatures with nonstandard to just butcherable, it makes a bit more sense to me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As I recall, my hunters have killed animals on the outside in the past in other (failed) fortresses and I was able to butcher them as soon as they were in the refuse pile.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

Hunters, not soldiers. Hunters kill animals in a butcherable way, soldiers don't.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But at the end I stated I had the same problem with the groundhogs that were killed by my huntsman.

I would just like to say that this is a serious problem for me if it's impossible for me to butcher any animals, as this makes my leather, meat and soaping industries impossible.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:06:55 am by Mightymuffin »

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You probably just have to change it to 'gather refuse outside' in the orders menu.  You can certainly butcher macaques and groundhogs that are killed by soldiers. 

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You probably just have to change it to 'gather refuse outside' in the orders menu.  You can certainly butcher macaques and groundhogs that are killed by soldiers. 

Thanks for the help Shakma, I'll try that and see if this helps. The corpses might be rotten by now unfortunately, but at least I can gather up groundhogs.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

it's not the humanoid that matters, it's the BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag. it means that you have to capture macaques and groundhogs in order to butcher them. If they are killed in battle it won't work (I usually turn all creatures with nonstandard to just butcherable, it makes a bit more sense to me.
Hunters, not soldiers. Hunters kill animals in a butcherable way, soldiers don't.

Errors, errors, errors. Most wild animals do not contain [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD], and if I remember correctly, that tag was made obsolete a while ago by the world generation changes from last year.

Furthermore, a kill is a kill. Animals killed by soldiers are butcherable just the same as those killed by hunters.

Anyways, Shakma's solution is probably what you need, because corpses need to be in a refuse pile before they can be butchered.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Errors, errors, errors. Most wild animals do not contain [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD], and if I remember correctly, that tag was made obsolete a while ago by the world generation changes from last year.

Furthermore, a kill is a kill. Animals killed by soldiers are butcherable just the same as those killed by hunters.

Anyways, Shakma's solution is probably what you need, because corpses need to be in a refuse pile before they can be butchered.

Indeed, as far as I know the butcherable tag is no longer used for anything at all. Your civilization ethics now control what you can and cannot butcher.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile

What he said. A kill is a kill. I don't even use hunters anymore; I just send my patrols out to the animals I want killed. Then the haulers come out, and drag every limb / corpse to the refuse pile, which are then immediately butchered.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..

ensure that the corpses are bieng hauled back to a refuse pile (O for orders, then its under refuse, and outdoors).

If that works, then its just a matter of ensuring there is a butcher command, and a free butcher before it rots.

if that doesnt work, ensure that the corpse isnt forbidden (ie, auto forbid on death). use (d-b) to desginate unforbid, and if they glow green (mayday tileset) they are forbidded, and must be allowed before hauling and butchery can begin.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It turned out that for some reason my dwarves were refusing to gather up any corpses and refuse from the outside, as well as wood. This has solved everything basically.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now your dwarves can have Rhesus for breakfast.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmmmmmh, rhesus pieces.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Pages: [1] 2