Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: General suggestions about optimizing a fort pathing-wise to maintain high FPS?  (Read 2259 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Other thingies:
1 - Avoid crazy contraptions that move alot of water/magma (i never follow this since it kills alot of the fun)

2 - Create a water source inside your fort, channeling your river/brook to an area inside is ideal since it'll give your dwarves an easily accessible water source and a safe place for your fisherdwarves. When possible, make wells inside your fort, and if its not possible, make it possible.

3 - Avoid designating large areas to be dug out/engraved/built, while the lag will only last while the designations are on, it can cause a serious drop.

4 - Avoid letting your animals run free around your fort, and don't put them on chains unless you have a reason to, locking all of them in a room can cause some serious lag, cage them all instead.

5 - If you breach the HFS, don't wall it off unless you absolutely have to, as this will release the fun stuff inside and they'll all be trying to path their wall out of there.

6 - Be a good architect, plan your corridors to be efficient. Don't force your dwarves to path through a room to get to another, thats what corridors and hallways are for, avoid dead ends. This will also keep your dwarves from having certain bad thoughts (building workshops close to your bedrooms is bad, making workers path through said bedrooms to get to said workshop is worse).

7 - Avoid chasms, they usually have alot of critters inside and will spawn creatures from time to time. Chasms however can be incredibly fun and are a nice weapon to keep boredom at bay.

8 - Don't let your dwarves have pets, make all newborn creatures unavailiable, cage/butcher them later. As for immigrants comming with pets, you can go the dwarfy way and make a specially designed room to kill said pets, but make sure your dwarves have a nice place to live first, to avoid a possible tantrum spiral.

9 - Avoid non pet passable doors, while convenient, animals will keep trying to path through it since its technically unlocked, but won't be able to go through. Having lots of these in an animal rich fort can cause some serious lag. If you really want to keep your animals contained, but without having to cage them, lock the door instead, this will keep them from pathing through the door entirely.

EDIT: This can help alot.
Avoid having other windows open while DF is running, if you minimize them making it so that DF is the only one on screen, this can significantly help your FPS. Avoid having a browser with lots of tabs open, specially ones with animated gifs, loading stuff and alike.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:08:55 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fantastic! Thank you so much for all the advice, everyone; I didn't expect to get so many helpful replies. I'll definitely try a bunch of the things that have been mentioned -- especially traffic designations, as I'd forgotten about them, and they seemed to cause a significant improvement in my current fort as soon as I set a few up.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Add staircases everywhere. Dwarves will sometimes decide that the closest stone is 7 z-levels down in a mineshaft and will walk very far along and take a very convoluted route to get there.

Don't make dwarves pathfind far to look for a path up or down levels. I add new Up/down staircases wherever I can make room for them.
Pages: 1 [2]