Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor UI suggestion: Make the cage animal action work li  (Read 832 times)

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minor UI suggestion: Make the cage animal action work li
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

If the cage/pit animal User Interface automatically zoomed to the selected animal in a manner similar to how the link level UI does, then you would be able to see what you're doing a lot better.

Today if I want to put a specific animal out a collection into a cage I need to know what order I'll find the animal on the creature list before I open the cage-assign. Something like "Okay I want the 3rd through 5th grizzly cubs after the four horses".

I only noticed this because I have a number of pets that are innacessible at the moment and any cage order for them causes FPS to plumet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minor UI suggestion: Make the cage animal action work li
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:07:35 am »

If the cage/pit animal User Interface automatically zoomed to the selected animal in a manner similar to how the link level UI does, then you would be able to see what you're doing a lot better.<P>Today if I want to put a specific animal out a collection into a cage I need to know what order I'll find the animal on the creature list before I open the cage-assign. Something like "Okay I want the 3rd through 5th grizzly cubs after the four horses".<P>I only noticed this because I have a number of pets that are innacessible at the moment and any cage order for them causes FPS to plumet.
Ah, yes, now, if I may ressurect this topic: I've taken to setting out particular identifible (by colour) tethers and assigning 'unknown animals'[1] to them.  Then when they've been attached to them I can inspect them (usually to check their gender) go to the cages/tethers they're supposed to go to and assign the animal that is marked as being identifiably held by the 'test tether'.  A slow process.  Which I can speed up by having multiple test-tethers but ensuring that I keep cycling in different different species (and/or ages; and/or gender where it's obvious my type-name, i.e. the bulls) to each of them so that I can at least know that it's the "test tethered elephant calf" that I just identified as a superfluous male that I want to put in the red "will eventually allow to be butchered" tether section, and not the potentially female gazelle on the similarly coloured test-tether that I want to make sure I keep.  (Being unable to delve into the 'object' within a cage if it's a captured creature (whether fauna or intelligent hostile) like you can (say) the seeds resulting from animal training[2].)

Adding (at least) gender symbols to the assignment screen (like on the Z-Animals screen) might be useful, but a (returnable-from) "zoom to creature" option or an arrangement around the above mechanical link interface style might satisfy my requirements, also.  I accept, though, that my current position (180+ creatures tamed from traps, not including the still untamed ones and the goblin POWs which I'm handling differently) is a result of my putting a few more traps down than usual, seeking to capture rather than hunt animals (also useful to avoid wildlife and invader interference in the megaproject, and incidentally act as early-warning of attack, all without realising how many parades, droves, mobs and troops of elephants, warthogs, deer/gazelle and chimpanzees/bonobo would decide to wander across a particular pinch-point in my territory.

I could, of course, remove the butchering task from my designated butcher, assign butcherability to animals on the Z-Animals screen (where I can ensure I keep at least a breeding pair of anything I'm bothered about) and momentarily activate the ability when I want to rid myself of the next available animal.  That would let me go back to communal cages for the non-breeders.

And I know it's probably going to change a bit, anyway, in the next version.

Don't mind me, just mumbling.

[1] Those either residing in the "unknown animal" built cage (recognisable by colour) or having no apparent assignment.

[2] I'd find it a bit more intuitive if the way to mark these items to dump was more like the "k" tile-contents inspector, the "i"nventory of a dwarf or an item in the Z-Stocks screen, i.e. highlight the line and mark accordingly.  "v"iewing each cage items under the Z-Stocks, then needing to view each and every seed that's found and marking it as Dumped from within its own properties is always a little more awkward.  Obviously the object inspector involved needs to allow the D/M/F assignments  to happen to the item itself, but if it is a container object I can scroll onto the sub-items (for potential viewing in their own right) and it is at that point where I get the urge to just "d" the highlit contents, but get stung by having marked the container for D instead.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:13:59 am »

having both would be nice, because as it is I never need the "better" interface you speak of. Animals go in the cage until they're mature, and then they come out of the cage, it's that simple. If I had to k-scroll to find the animals it would irritate me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »

I wish the animal tab on the stocks menu would organize by species, then tame at the top, followed by males then females. It would make designating for mass butchering so much easier.

Also, there needs to be a way to know if the animal is not in a pit. Currently if I get an animal that isn't pitted I just butcher it, it's easier than pitting every animal of the same gender and species back into the pit.

Oh yea, stop the catsplosion. Animals marked for butchery shouldn't be adoptable. I swear, I've had kittens adopt a dwarf 2 seconds after birth, no amount of marking for a cage/speed butchering will stop that kind of a catsplosion.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:21 am »

Oh yea, stop the catsplosion. Animals marked for butchery shouldn't be adoptable. I swear, I've had kittens adopt a dwarf 2 seconds after birth, no amount of marking for a cage/speed butchering will stop that kind of a catsplosion.
Interestingly, it might be justifiable that a cat bends a biped to their will...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8147566.stm

(Yeah, so they probably learn to do so, but who knows what happens on this strange world we're overseeing...)