Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Races/LAN Group  (Read 714 times)

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
Races/LAN Group
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:11 am »

So Im relatively new too DF (been playing about a month and Ive decided that after my current fort fails Ill try some modded versions, but lightly modded.

1st: I was wondering if there is a good mod that simply allows us too play as the other races with minimal changes too the basic idea of the game (no other races just Humans, Elves, Goblins, Dwarves and maybe Kobolds) and that the races each have their own flavor but the core of the game remains unchanged

2nd: I was wondering if theres a mod which allows two players too build a fort simultaneously. I have a good friend who enjoys DF and I thought it would be cool too be able too build one together or too build two on either side of a valley or something similar.

Also is there a good way too mod the game without losing the original? (download DF again and add the mods too the 2nd one keeping the other vanilla)

Thank you in advance
"An Ambush! Curse them!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Races/LAN Group
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:43:10 am »

For kobolds you should definitely try "kobold camp" mod.
For goblins there is one: [LINK]

For elves... I don't know.

You can have as many copies of DF folder as you want, it's not written into registry or something.

No way to play via LAN.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:18:09 am »

Thanks!

and now too sound like a complete noob.....

How do I get it too work? (ei: where do I move the code too within the DF folder)
I cant find anything about it (cept I found some on modding it manually myself but that doesnt help)

Thanks again
"An Ambush! Curse them!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:46:10 am »

What exactly do you want to do?

To install a mod, either download it and play (if it's a full modified game archive) or unpack it in your DF folder, overwriting files. Usually mods have install instructions.

Ask what you need.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:05:29 pm »

What exactly do you want to do?

To install a mod, either download it and play (if it's a full modified game archive) or unpack it in your DF folder, overwriting files. Usually mods have install instructions.

Ask what you need.

er the second one, I unpack it directly too the DF folder and I get an error "one of the compressed files is corrupted" so I tried putting the texts in a folder then putting it in the DF folder and it just runs DF normally (no changes)

(PS: Im trying the goblin one first, Ill try the kobold one in a second)
"An Ambush! Curse them!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »

Anything that is inside a folder inside of the raw subfolder of DF will not be recognized, you can only have just basic documents.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:24:13 am »

Anything that is inside a folder inside of the raw subfolder of DF will not be recognized, you can only have just basic documents.

ok I figured it out I had too put the goblin modified texts into the raw folder (under objects) I was putting them directly within the DF folder

so essentially too mod it I replace the items in the RAW>Objects folder with the new modified versions

thats what I didnt know...

Thanks for the help guys, and I will be trying the goblin one next
"An Ambush! Curse them!"