Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 136

Author Topic: Things that made you angry today thread.  (Read 97350 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you angry today thread.
« Reply #525 on: September 21, 2009, 07:36:22 pm »

I stayed up very late last night to do optics homework, then went to bed without it finished, thinking I could get a few more problems done in the morning, before my first class. I wake up early and start working on optics, only to find that there's no way I can make it to statistics and get the problem set done. I skip that, missing out on a chance to ask someone out to lunch, and keep working on it. I still can't get it done, so I head off to optics. Turns out that everyone had a hard time with it--mine might possibly be the most complete. BUT STILL. THE ENTIRE WEEKEND. ON OPTICS. AND IT WASN'T EVEN FINISHED.

I get to the class after, and my friend (a devout atheist) draws some cartoons basically mocking Christianity during class. I'm Christian, so this pisses me off. Someone asks him what he drew while I'm talking to him and he FLIPS TO A CARTOON INVOLVING THE 9-11 ATTACKS. THIS PERSON IS IN LIKE 75% OF MY CLASSES AND NOW KNOWS ME AS THE GUY WHO'S FRIENDS WITH THE 9-11 GUY.

At lunch I spend some time thinking about a writing project and basically coming to the conclusion that it's unpublishable. IT WAS AT OVER 200 PAGES. I HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH NOW.

I then head to physics lab where we have to get an op-amp to behave, and nothing's working, as usual. A few minutes before the end of class I ragequit to go to a colloquium. IT WAS ABOUT USING QUANTUM THERMODYNAMICS TO COME UP WITH A THEORY OF HOW PHASE DIAGRAMS WORK IN THE NANOSCALE AND ACTUALLY I UNDERSTOOD WHAT WAS GOING ON AND THAT WAS PRETTY COOL BUT I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS FOR SYMMETRY AND STUFF.

I just finished some more Optics crap, which I had to scan in and e-mail to the teacher. I ate re-heated pizza alone for dinner. I'm now thinking of heading in to work on some research because I have nothing else to do. I'm graduating in the Spring, and I really need to get some research to the point of publishing soon, but it looks fairly impossible. AND I'VE WORKED IN THAT JOB FOR TWO YEARS NOW, WITH NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT.

I'm beyond simple rage right now. I'm about to go outside and strangle trees.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 21, 2009, 08:15:31 pm »

We're going to be working with op-amps during the second trimester.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 21, 2009, 08:18:44 pm »

Optics? HA, I can teach you anything you want to know about that!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 21, 2009, 08:36:12 pm »

...Oh.

Two questions, then:

1) Using dimensional analysis, how do you establish the lambda^-4 dependancy of Rayleigh scattering, assuming E(scattered) is proportional to E0*V(scatterer)/r, where r is the distance from the scatterer to the observer? I can get up to lambda^-2, but then the quantity has the right units, and I'm stuck.

2) If you have a camera focused on a letter on a printed page (focused with close-up bellows, btw, but I'm not certain that's necessary), and you put a glass slide over it (n=1.55, thickness=1mm), how far away should you move the camera? I tried to get a general expression for the distance d1 that the image appears below the surface of the glass in terms of d2, the distance it actually is below the surface, n1 and n2, but I end up with some sine terms that I can't get to go away. No, I can't simply use Snell's law, as the angles are actually theta1-90 and theta2-90.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 21, 2009, 09:27:17 pm »

Well there's no "Things that make you sad" thread so Ill post this here. Worky's still missing. :<
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 21, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »

Yeah, that's making me sad too. It also made me bored before I discovered that the justice league animated series could be found on the internet.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:26 pm »

Well there's no "Things that make you sad" thread so Ill post this here. Worky's still missing. :<

The drone has been kidnapped?! We must do something!

Bay12 team... ASSEMBLE!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 21, 2009, 09:35:10 pm »

...Oh.

Two questions, then:

1) Using dimensional analysis, how do you establish the lambda^-4 dependancy of Rayleigh scattering, assuming E(scattered) is proportional to E0*V(scatterer)/r, where r is the distance from the scatterer to the observer? I can get up to lambda^-2, but then the quantity has the right units, and I'm stuck.

2) If you have a camera focused on a letter on a printed page (focused with close-up bellows, btw, but I'm not certain that's necessary), and you put a glass slide over it (n=1.55, thickness=1mm), how far away should you move the camera? I tried to get a general expression for the distance d1 that the image appears below the surface of the glass in terms of d2, the distance it actually is below the surface, n1 and n2, but I end up with some sine terms that I can't get to go away. No, I can't simply use Snell's law, as the angles are actually theta1-90 and theta2-90.
Aww, I was just kidding. I dont even know what optics is. :(

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 21, 2009, 09:40:06 pm »

I miss our resident WH40K freak... Let's all PM him at once how he's making us feel. :<
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 21, 2009, 09:40:30 pm »

The drone has been kidnapped?! We must do something!

Bay12 team... ASSEMBLE!

Is that like the Justice League? Can I be the Martian Manhunter?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 21, 2009, 09:46:12 pm »

Can I be The Cosmic Communist?

... Wait, what? There is no Cosmic Communist?

Bloody hell, where's the justice!

But yeah, Cosmic Communist, AWAY! :D

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 21, 2009, 09:47:49 pm »

OOH! OOH! Dibs on Darkseid.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 21, 2009, 09:58:52 pm »

OOH! OOH! Dibs on Darkseid.

IT ENRAGES ME that you would dibs someone who's not even in the justice league, instead of Batman.

Ok, not really. I just felt like I should post something vaguely full of rage to fulfill my obligation to this topic.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 21, 2009, 10:39:07 pm »

I'm about to go outside and strangle trees.

I'd recommend against it; it's highly unsatisfying. Those bastard trees refuse to give in even after hours of strangling.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 21, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know that's not actually 4d but my God if it isn't mesmerizing.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 136