Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Metal Worlds  (Read 2562 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Worlds
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »

Thankfully/unfortunately not.
This was a one minute mod.
The trees and plants would've required a little more work.
I'll definitely finish this.
It's just too awesome/evil.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:24 am »

On a more serious note, granular crystal would work fine. I like the idea of having small clusters of rock crystal spread through it too.

I wonder if there would be any way to do a geode when the underground diversity stuff comes in next version.

'Normal' geodes are already possible with smelter reactions. At least as stones that you can crack open for gems.

I've been using this for a while, actually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granted, most of what I know of geodes comes from Wikipedia and mindat, so it's most likely not an accurate depiction of the contents of a geode. It is, however, proof of concept.

Well that's very cool, its not what I meant though but as usuall I wasn't clear enough. I meant large geodes, like you see in the movie "The Core" where you can breach a geode and it's a large empty space with the entire inside pocked with crystalline deposits.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:46 am »

Well, depending on how clusters interact, it might be possible to do something like that. I'll play around with some worlds and see what I can come up with.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 12:31:19 am »

Well, depending on how clusters interact, it might be possible to do something like that. I'll play around with some worlds and see what I can come up with.

As I understand it, the main problem would be the empty space. If I could get it to consistently create say obsidian circles full of {Insert Gem Here} that'd be cool. Something tells me gems don't normally form in iron ore.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:06 am »

DF does something weird when there is no valid stone to fill a layer, it invents something called 'rock' with no stats and no picture. It is a pure white tile and the stones it drops are 'rock' and totally black.

Fun!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 01:48:57 am »

Mmkay well I got it to generate a world covered in sand and metal, which is honestly pretty cool by itself. I have each non-iron metal type correctly assigned to where it should appear, in theory, and have found a few veins and such on my test run. I have not yet gone through gems because that looks like a really long job.

Something strange though, when I go to embark it works fine but if I use the site finder it crashes out with no error.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 02:16:17 am »

DF does something weird when there is no valid stone to fill a layer, it invents something called 'rock' with no stats and no picture. It is a pure white tile and the stones it drops are 'rock' and totally black.

Yeah, items don't actually need a material associated with them, but items without a material act oddly. Also, no-material items are extremely dense.

As for your other problem... do any of your stone types have [AQUIFER]?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 02:35:49 am »

For realistic geodes, you could make a 'search for geodes' smelter reaction which has a very small (one or two percent) chance of getting a crystal from a rock.

Unfortunately, room sized geodes would have to be hard coded at this time.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 01:23:40 am »

Well that's very cool, its not what I meant though but as usuall I wasn't clear enough. I meant large geodes, like you see in the movie "The Core" where you can breach a geode and it's a large empty space with the entire inside pocked with crystalline deposits.

You mean large crystals?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 01:28:03 am »

You mean large crystals?

Yes that's more what I had in mind. A large open space with crystal growths inside would fit this 'world' well I think. It should all be metal, crystal or volcanic in nature with very little remnants of life such as coal or sandstone/silt.

Yeah, items don't actually need a material associated with them, but items without a material act oddly. Also, no-material items are extremely dense.

As for your other problem... do any of your stone types have [AQUIFER]?

No, now that I think on it I removed all of the stone layers I didn't want. I'll have to add aquifer to some I suppose. So if no stone layers have aquifer it won't generate an aquifer or it will just crash site finder?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 01:33:07 am »

Site finder won't crash if its unable to find a feature- it'll just look for the closest match, this happens a lot when you demand an evil area with magma, aquifer, flux and HFS.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 01:34:54 am »

Site finder won't crash if its unable to find a feature- it'll just look for the closest match, this happens a lot when you demand an evil area with magma, aquifer, flux and HFS.
Then I wonder what's making me crash the instant I hit enter on the site finder. I'll have to experiment. I have several metal ores set as sedimentary/metamorphic/etc types as well as sand set as soil. No aquifer tokens in any of them though IIRC

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 02:01:43 am »

You might as well try adding some aquifers and testing the site finder then just to be sure.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 02:03:14 am »

I'll do so when I get home. No time now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]