Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Metal Worlds  (Read 2564 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Metal Worlds
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:22:35 pm »

First I'd like to get this out there: Yes, I am insane.

Now, I would like to play in a world made entirely of metal. I want the ground to be metal ores of all types, with rarer ores (gold) clustered/veined through common ores (iron). I, being fairly new to modding DF, don't know how to do this. Could someone give me a quick and dirty method I could experiment with? It's a bit daunting to dive into right away.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:24:02 pm »

first remove all matter from DF.
Create new game
 ???
Profit :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »

first remove all matter from DF.
Create new game
 ???
Profit :D

;D I should explain that this desire comes from memories of the metal worlds in Total Annihilation.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:52:30 pm »

You'll have to remove all stones or their layer/environment tokens, add layer tokens to the ores, and then edit any ores that rely on stone layers.

For a simple mod, backup all matgloss_stone files in your raw\objects, delete every normal stone except obsidian(remove IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE from it, though), remove all existing environment tokens from ores, and add
Code: [Select]
[SEDIMENTARY]
[IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE]
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]
[METAMORPHIC]

to any metals you want to cover the world.

Add
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:100]
or
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:CLUSTER:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:CLUSTER:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:CLUSTER:100]

to anything that you want to be "rare."

The next world you gen should be made completely out of metal, but won't have any flux.

If you want to make a bit more advanced mod, the wiki has a section on matgloss tokens.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:57:41 pm »

Yes, you can change the 100 number to something less to decrease the commonality.

You might also want to make a metal/crystal with the [SOIL] tag, capable of growing things. Otherwise the only place you be able to grow crops is mud.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »

Interesting, I will poke around now that I have some idea what I'm doing. Thanks very much all of you. LOSNR that should be very useful as a starting point.

Sensei, I may do that adding in a crystalline layer and reflavoring the plants as crystalline growths. Hell if I get a wild hair I may take this to the limit and mod the game into a mirrodin-esque world.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:05:26 pm »

Yes, you can change the 100 number to something less to decrease the commonality.

You might also want to make a metal/crystal with the [SOIL] tag, capable of growing things. Otherwise the only place you be able to grow crops is mud.

W-w-w-w-w-w-w-wait!

So, if i added the tags like this?

[MATGLOSS_METAL:BRASS]
[NAME:brass][ADJ:brass][COLOR:6:6:1]
[VALUE:7]
[SPEC_HEAT:377]
[MELTING_POINT:11656]
[BOILING_POINT:14068]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8550]
[SEDIMENTARY]
[IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE]
[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]
[METAMORPHIC]
[SOIL]

I would create layers of brass that can be farmed on?
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:21:52 pm »

No, you need to do it with stone types. Not to say you couldn't simply make brass a type of stone, though.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:00:03 am »

Oh yeah... sadly, farmed soil does not yield stone and of course cannot be smelted.

...I guess it's really soft crystal. You can change the tileset to make soils look like crystals if you have to, I think. Or you can be hardcore and rely totally on mud farming and eating the crystal monsters (give them a very high cluster and popcap, so there's enough).

Eat by your sword!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 02:18:14 am »

This would make an awesome from-scratch mod. Remove all current creatures, and add new ones of crystalline/metallic varieties. Dwarfs might be made of iron, elves of pink crystal, humans of bronze, etc.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 03:34:53 am »

This would make an awesome from-scratch mod. Remove all current creatures, and add new ones of crystalline/metallic varieties. Dwarfs might be made of iron, elves of pink crystal, humans of bronze, etc.

rose quartz. oh my god. elves are so the perfect match for rose quartz. i love it! XD

someone must make this metal and crystal world. now. a community fort with this would be awsome.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:52 am »

I made a personal mod which is along the same lines except it includes just:
* Obsidian (replaces all rock types).
* Black sand (replaces all soil types).
* Metal veins + gems
* Tower-caps (replaces all trees).

I can't remember if I nuked all other above ground foliage or not (at work currently so can't check).

There's a few problems with the mod which makes it feel incomplete. As there are less vein types, there's a proportionally higher number of metals veins and gems. This means that there are metal veins and gems everywhere which gets really annoying.

After playing with the mod for a bit though I found that the world was a little boring. At least there's none of that evil blue rock. Nice for 'perfect' fortresses or OCD though.

Be warned - if you're making a similar mod, be very careful about the following things:
* Some gem types occur in specific veins. You will need to reassign these gem types somewhere else if you want to preserve them.
* Things can get really screwy if you fail to nuke your objects directory after changing terrain raws. We're talking psychedelic colored flashing landscapes here.

I'll see if I can find it and zip it up somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:38:35 am by ItchyBeard »

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:41:06 am »

We're talking psychedelic colored flashing landscapes here.

sounds awsome

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 06:13:51 am »

I made a personal mod which is along the same lines except it includes just:
* Obsidian (replaces all rock types).
* Black sand (replaces all soil types).
* Metal veins + gems
* Tower-caps (replaces all trees).

<snip>

I'll see if I can find it and zip it up somewhere.

Found and uploaded: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1263

Do with it what you will.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:13 pm »

I'll look at the mod a bit later this week. If anyone would like to collaborate, I think the metal world mod would be a lot of fun. We could have iron dwarves eating crystalline growths and raising herds of gemspiders to butcher.

Can you butcher a creature with an itemcorpse? Like, could we have some tame gemspiders which, when butchered, dropped a gemstone in the shop instead of skin/bones/meat/fat/chunks?

Also, Gemspider web clothing sounds fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3