Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I learned something today ...  (Read 1863 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
I learned something today ...
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:49 pm »

When you have more dogs than you know what to do with, butcher them. Do not assign them as wardogs to your champions. The loss of ten pets at the hands of orcs is not something that admiring your own fine bed is going to cure.

Especially do not do this if said champion is wielding a steel warhammer artifact.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: I learned something today ...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:21:57 pm »

Just turn them into this seasons *sunday special*.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:27:29 pm »

Even better:
Train a lot of them as wardogs anyway and stick them in the arena against goblins or whatever else you've managed to capture. Great dwarven entertainment.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:42:11 pm »

Slaughter the males but one and leave all the females....you will never run out of dog meat.  Tis a wonderful thing...

That and you'll never run out of bones for projects.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:52:16 pm »

Sigh... If only you could use bones and a building material, then my road of bones project would be possible.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:09 pm »

Sigh... If only you could use bones and a building material, then my road of bones project would be possible.

Modding time?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:58:19 pm »

Modding time?

Tis the new Hammer Time dontca know.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »

I was hoping the shower of body parts would start a tantrum spiral, but I had been pretty good about keeping my dwarves too busy to party. Now I'm bored.

I was really surprised this glacial embark survived. I think what saved me was I had removed the NOSPEAK tag for orcs and I got their traders twice a year. They brought lots of roots and leaves and stuff to brew with. The first years winter traders saved my bacon. Once I found the underground river and magma pipe (duh, it had an obsidian cap, I can't believe I didn't notice that) it was pretty trivial to keep them alive.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 11:49:07 pm »

Even better, a CRYPT made of skulls.

Or a trade depot... made of the skulls of elven traders!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

If only I could :(

I learned something new today. A 10 z-level drop is enough to break the toughest orc into it's component pieces in a reliable fashion.

I think I've finally perfected my single hallway fall trap system, although the ramps down to the trade depot are a little inelegant. I had my military stationed below to mop up any survivors, but there were none. I wasn't sure how my new fall trap would work. A seven z-level drop wouldn't instantly kill all goblins, and some of them even managed to crawl around a bit. Granted they had about four pages worth of mangled body parts.

Twenty orcs trapped in the killing chamber. Twenty orcs dropped. Twenty heads, 20 upper right arms, 20 upper left arms, 20 upper left legs, 20 upper right legs, 20 corpses. Quite predictable results. I think this might spread out the bone fragments more than I'd like. Seven z-levels is probably just perfect if you have some speardwarves there to finish off the survivors.

Unfortunately I just finished filling the 12th level with magma, so I can't see what a 20 level drop will do. Maybe it will break them into their component elements.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:28:35 pm »

That's alot of organs.  :o
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 08:56:51 pm »

I say building a tree out of elven bones is better. :P

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 01:07:29 am »

Someone needs to mod the game and make humanoids butcherable. Then someone else needs to make a fortress entirely out of elf soap.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 01:09:02 am »

And then cutting it down when more Elven traders come by it.  :)
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 02:17:36 am »

I find it amusing to put as lots of wardogs in a cage at the entrance to a long passage and then have a pressure plate at the end of the tunnel that opens said cage. Imagine the looks on the faces of those goblins as they realise there really is no escape hehe.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2