Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPU problems ( probably)  (Read 899 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GPU problems ( probably)
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:29:19 pm »

after buying a new computer, not much time ago i finally installed some games. unluckly, they didn't work; or, better, they worked for a while, then they crashed.

the first one was TF2. after a while, my monitor stopped receiving any input from my computer. nothing at all. i don't mean black screen... i mean a box saying "no input". i thought the problem was in the game... but few days ago i bought "dawn of discovery". same problem.
and in Empire : total war, if in battles i use max time acceleration, the game glitches, and i see everything flying around the screen, like it was in a blender.then it stops, and i have to reset the computer.

first thought was overheating... i checked a first time with TF 2. by going out of the game often to check, temperature didn't go above 61 C°.. high, but the same i get on wurm, and that doesn't crash. today i made another test with "dawn of discovery": i cooled the room ( which i had to do anyway... it is hot here) and tryed to run the game. it ran well, without crashes, but i ran it in windowed mode to be able to check temperature. then, after i was sure it was a temperature problem, i switch to fullscreen, and it instantly crashes in the way described above. temperature was at 58 C°, that is more or less rest temperature. so, while overheating may be related, that is not the problem.
i also downloaded latest drivers.... nothing.
i have a GeForce 8800 GT and i have XP 32 bit.

do any of you know what is the problem and/or how to fix it?
it is quite annoying to buy games, and then see them crashing in that way.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GPU problems ( probably)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:46:58 pm »

The problem is too general and random to pin down what exactly the problem is. Did you have these problems before you got these games? Can you run these games at minimal settings without them crashing?

That would help establish whether it's a problem specific to the GPU.
!!&!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:52:45 pm »

It may just be defective.  My 8500 GT does the blender thing on occasion, and on other occasions gets really bad artifacts. 

I've also had the no input thing before.  I've had that card for a year and a half and while it's annoying the card hasn't failed completely yet.
Shoes...

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:03:40 am »

I've had Dawn of Discovery crash when alt+tabbing on my desktop. I'm using windows 7 and the game is also minimized somehow whenever I get a message on MSN.

I discovered that if I use my other laptop and send a bunch of messages to my desktop, I can make the game crash. I thought it was cool, but my friend was upset cuz he was the one playing. :D

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:28:10 pm »

i never had these problems before getting these games, but there was a whole computer change, so it doesn't say much.

my old computer never had this kind of problems, even on E:TW, which i could barely run. the other 2 are totally new, so i don't know. i can try to lower graphics, but then i would be quite sad because i bought a new GPU to get worse graphics :(. probably i'll try that next time i use TF. by the way, is it possible to run TF 2 in a window instead of fullscreen? i think i'll check now. only fullscreen seem to crash.