Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sonic Robo Blast 2  (Read 1524 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Sonic Robo Blast 2
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:25 am »

Some words first: I didn't make this game. I also know that this is not really the best forum to put it in, as a lot of you guys won't be interested in Sonic the Hedgehog games, or even, god forbid, fangames. You should quickly dismiss the image of the average Sonic fanboy, because the makers of this game, or this game, for the matter, are nothing like this.

Anyway. Sonic Robo Blast 2 (or SRB2 for short) is a three-dimensional Sonic the Hedgehog platformer. It is still under development. It spans over seven zones with twelve acts and four boss fights. It begins easy but grows challenging and hard as nails in the last zone. The game has been in development since 1998 (!), and I dare to say that it shows, both in terms of gameplay (overall good, save for some confusing segments and a massive difficulty spike at the end) and in terms of graphics (the game uses a modified Doom engine). It also has a load of secrets waiting to be found. Plus, you can add .wad files to the game that expand on the content, such as more characters or levels, and create them too, with some effort at least.

I better repeat it. It is a three-dimensional Sonic platformer, and it works.

The game also has a multiplayer mode, with the gametypes Coop, Race, Tag, Hide&Seek, Match and CTF. The first two gametypes play like singleplayer - Coop is going through the single player games with others, Race is exactly what it says on the tin - but the last four game types are played in a FPS-ish way. Please note that this both works and is great fun, as long as you stay out of Nimbus Ruins anyway. You basically throw rings at other players, with some special ring types available and different objectives in each gametype. The speed and platforming of the game add some twists however.

Spoiler: Tips for Multiplayer (click to show/hide)

Two days ago (at 24.7.09) the update to 2.0 got released which doubled the number of zones and acts to its current amount, and revamped multiplayer, specifically the special ring system, making it ammo-based instead of time-based. There are probably still some glitches, as the release still is fresh.

All I'm asking of you now is to try SRB2. It's free and weighs less than 100 MB, so you can't do yourself too much harm. Look past the 'childish' graphics and premise, and try it. Afterwards you at least have a good opinion of the game.

Download
Manual
Official Forums

See ya around. If you should ever meet me, I'm named Pantheon in netgames.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Robo Blast 2
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:52:52 am »

Oh God, I remember finding this years ago.  And then finding it again less years ago, only to see that it hadn't really been updated so I figured it was dead.  That's for the catch, I never would have remembered.

Hmm, site appears to crashed out.  I'll have to see the update later.  Question: are there more than 3 levels now?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:05:16 am »

There are seven levels now. Deep Sea Zone, Arid Canyon Zone, Red Volcano Zone and Egg Rock Zone have been added. ACZ and RVZ have only one act, but still. Additionally, Castle Eggman Zone has been revamped.

Posting screenshots soon.

Spoiler: "Deep Sea Zone" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Arid Canyon Zone" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Egg Rock Zone" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Multiplayer" (click to show/hide)

http://www.srb2.org/ works for me. Click on downloads, take a mirror, enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:17:26 am by Errol »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:01:25 am »

Meh, maybe it's just me but I don't really like blue hedgehogs all that much.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:27:24 am »

You don't need to play as a blue hedgehog, y'know. ;) But I understand your point.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »

This might warrant my interest. It appears to be an attempt to harness the mountains of potential for a good 3D sonic platformer without sabotaging it with unknown fail.

In other words, "what should have happened to sonic". I'll probably check this out.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:52:33 pm »

I'll give it a shot, it looks like an alright game from the images.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »

In other words, "what should have happened to sonic". I'll probably check this out.

Good lord, yes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 06:16:15 pm »

Good lord, yes.

Sort of.  Not really.  As you can see from the pictures, it basically a heavily modified version of the DOOM engine, with nothing but straight lines and angles.  I remember the guy talking years ago about trying to upgrade to someone else's DOOM project that allowed curved surfaces.  But it doesn't have it here (not that I can download it yet), so it's more like a traditional 3D platformer with a Sonic veneer.

Still ambitious though, and it's always nice to see fangames that wind up more fun than commercial products.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »

I have to admit it's strange they haven't tried to use modern-resolution textures and complex geometries- possibly some DOOM limitation, but it also seems strange they used that in the first place.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 07:02:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's because the guy got started about eight years ago, when a partially reverse-rigged DOOM engine was all anyone had to work with.  I suppose he didn't want to give up all that past effort, but pretty much any other 3D engine would work better, especially now.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 08:29:43 pm »

You can't have a real sonic game without curves. Hell half the fun of the 2d games was the massive loops and hills and roll tunnels.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.